Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • ijs445ra
    Free Member

I don’t think the lack of a world class 10 is a Welsh or English thing as very few countries (only NZ and Ireland?) have what most view as a proper world class 10 at present.

I think there is a bit of a “Dan Carter factor” in the perception of every other 10 in that he is, and has been, so much better than the rest for the last however many years that we expect more from every 10.

I really rated Jonny W as an international 10 he never did a huge amount of flash stuff but by all accounts he is one of the harder working players in the game, so his tackling/kicking things he could practice were always top notch add that to good decision making and he looked better than almost everyone, until Carter appeared and moved the game on.

For me the best 10s still playing internationals are DC, Sexton and Cruden all generally do the basics very well, make good decisions and to varying degrees can produce bits of rugby magic that win games. Until the NH can overcome a fear of losing and the trend in over coaching our 10s are 90% of the time going to pick the safe option, we see it quite often that when a game is already won or lost the rugby gets better and the game more expansive.

On a different note I met Jim Hamilton once, the biggest human I have ever come across!

DanW
    Free Member

Living around here I see loads of rugby players and very few of them look huge. Alan Wyn Jones (coming out of Morrisons a few years ago on crutches..) didn’t look as big as I’d have thought. But Justin Marshal (changing in the gym next to me) was considerably taller than me – I’m 5ft10″ – and very polite. Nice guy but very aware that HE was the superstar! But I was surprised how tall he was.

My MIL refers to Shane as that lovely little lad, but I’ve stood next to him in the street and he isn’t that tiny (compared to my 1670mm), it’s just every one else on the field is massive.

The height/ size thing is very deceptive in rugby players. I certainly wouldn’t go around believing every published height/ weight you see. Wiki has Shane as 1.7m and 80kg for example but having lived with an ex-Wales prop he just burst out laughing to read that (partly at the height, mostly at the weight) and said there was a lot of “bigging up” going on in the stats/ media 😀 I know Shane was more robust towards the end of his career but the stats are rarely accurate! Is it a short person thing to measure yourself in mm too? 😆

Also worth bearing in mind is that height isn’t everything. Seeing Mike Phillips (thankfully non-aggro) shopping in Cardiff… it wasn’t the height that was in any way intimidating but the fact he is so damn barrel chested. Same with the Toulon props who were walking around Cardiff recently- not huge in height but about as wide as they were tall! 😀

ijs445ra
    Free Member

England and NZ teams

England team: Mike Brown; Chris Ashton, Joel Tomkins, Billy Twelvetrees, Ben Foden; Owen Farrell, Lee Dickson; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley, Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Tom Wood, Chris Robshaw (c), Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Tom Youngs, Matt Mullan, David Wilson, Geoff Parling, Ben Morgan, Ben Youngs, Toby Flood, Alex Goode.

New Zealand team: Israel Dagg; Charles Piutau, Ben Smith, Ma’a Nonu, Julian Savea; Dan Carter, Aaron Smith; Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Owen Franks, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Liam Messam, Richie McCaw (captain), Kieran Read.

Replacements: Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Luke Romano, Steven Luatua, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Aaron Cruden, Ryan Crotty.

toys19
    Free Member

I dont think they were lying about Shanes height, he was defo taller than me..

I agree that height is not everything.

I normally quote 5ft 5, but did it there in mm for accuracy as it was pertinent to the discussion and as a self deprecating thing, otherwise I have to say 5ft 5 and 7/10 and everyone takes the mick for making the 7/10 so important..

DezB
    Free Member

England and NZ teams..

I’m almost glad I’m not going to be able to watch it until Sunday night. We’re getting squished.

anagallis_arvensis

I really rated Jonny W as an international 10 he never did a huge amount of flash stuff but by all accounts he is one of the harder working players in the game, so his tackling/kicking things he could practice were always top notch add that to good decision making and he looked better than almost everyone, until Carter appeared and moved the game on.

Wilkinson wasnt even the best ten in the world cup final,Larkham was better. Him going off when Ben who stood on his face made the difference. Excellent player a top class international but Larkham was better. He wasnt much better than Steven Jones.

What happen to Conrad Smith?

Pigface
    Free Member

Meh Jonny W asnt even the best 10 playing in the British Isles, anyway I have made my thoughts on Wilkinson known way to often to bother going back over old ground.

Is Sexton that good??? never seen him do anything that special. Carter hasnt been at his best for a while, he is very composed though.

I thought Smith was on the bench, well that is what it said on the radio this morning.

Messam, McCaw Read wouldnt want to be Farrel 😆

DanW
    Free Member

What happened to Conrad Smith?

On sabbatical… awesome player

DezB
    Free Member

I really rated Jonny W as an international 10 he never did a huge amount of flash stuff but by all accounts he is one of the harder working players in the game, so his tackling/kicking things he could practice were always top notch

You’re not alone mate. I agree.
    Although our ‘factual knowledge’ about rugby isn’t quite up there with some 🙄

ekul
    Free Member

I think Conrad Smith has taken a sabbatical hasn’t he?

On the subject of player size – I bumped into Ashton Sims the other day, one of the Fijian brothers playing in the RL WC. I’m 6’4″ and 17st but my god he’s a monster… Nearly walked straight into his chest!

I think the player size thing is starting to become an issue even in the amateur game. At the club I play at you’ve got such a mix of sizes. Small 5’6″ 9/10st players playing against guys who are 6’6″ 20st gym monkeys. One day someones going to end up seriously hurt.

However, i’m not sure how it could ever really be resolved. People suggest splitting the game up by weights but to me that ruins the whole game. In all the best teams i’ve played in/against its been big strong guys hitting great lines but its always a small wiry player pulling the strings from flyhalf/scrumhalf or cutting teams apart on the wings.

I think there will always be a place for small players in rugby but they’ll have to adapt. Look at Will Genia, undoubtably one of the best scrumhalves in the world and he’s mixing it with the biggest and best players in the world at just 5’8″. The difference is he’s built like a brick outhouse and is one of the strongest players in his team. Maybe thats the approach the small guys will go down in the future? Certainly the best scrumhalf i’ve ever played with was only tiny but was virtually a solid ball of muscle. Used to be amazing – impossible to tackle due to his height and as strong as an ox, bouncing second rows and props all over the park.

In terms of the result on Saturday I have to go with a NZ win, I look at the England backs and just can’t see them offering anything at all. At least with Barrett and Tuilagi we had a nigh on inpentrable defence. Now we don’t even have that! Pretty uninspired for 2015 atm i’m afraid.

By the way, first post on this thread so please be kind 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Dez stop stirring please 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Me stirring?! 😆

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Welcome Ekul

DezB – i will have you know my factual knowledge of rugby is far in excess of at least Andy Nicol? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I can tell 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Good points ekul.

However, the fact people like Genia have to be built like a brick outhouse to survive/ prosper kind of suggests the gym monkey element is still hugely important. Height, not really… but weight/ muscle yes.

Leigh Halfpenny was always hugely talented too but just look at the size of him lately. He has gone from quite wirey/ normal to a real defensive machine. No-one would doubt his or Genia physicality despite the height… but it did require quite a bulk up. I can only really think of people like Parra or Laidlaw who buck this trend on the international scene.

Also reminds me of seeing the Argentinian front row wandering around Cardiff a year or two back- not tall by any stretch of the imagination but balls of muscle as you say ekul!

anagallis_arvensis

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); George North (Northampton Saints), Cory Allen (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Liam Williams (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (unattached); Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys).
    Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys).

😯 Rhodri Jones 😯 Cory Allan 😯 .. Suppose Allan will fit with Gatlands plan A approach. I thought Beck did OK the other day, not got as good form as last season but I think he’s a good player.

Gethin’s 100th cap. He may not be playing at the level he once did but he’s still an awesome player.

IdleJon

ijs445ra – Member

Welcome Ekul

DezB – i will have you know my factual knowledge of rugby is far in excess of at least Andy Nicol?

No, Nicol’s got loads of knowledge but it’s deeply enmeshed within his bigotry that he can’t get it out sensibly. Sort of like a_a on an advanced rant but scaled up by 10. 😉

DanW – Member

Also worth bearing in mind is that height isn’t everything. Seeing Mike Phillips (thankfully non-aggro) shopping in Cardiff… it wasn’t the height that was in any way intimidating but the fact he is so damn barrel chested.

True. Mind you, Shane claiming to be 80kg is funny.

Pigface – Member

Is Sexton that good??? never seen him do anything that special.
    It’s not just me? Phew. I read Sexton in the same sentence as ‘world-class players’ and wondered if I’d lost what little rugby knowledge I ever had. 😆

ekul
    Free Member

Dan W – you also have to take into consideration the protection the likes of Parra gets (not so much Laidlaw) from the French pack. It negates the need to be particularly big. However, on the wings/fullback or even at 10 there is much greater exposure to the bigger boys so to speak. An example of this would be Courtney Lawes tackle on Parra a while back that dislocated his shoulder. Although that was a hell of a hit it does make you wonder whether a bigger built player such as Genia would have suffered the same injury?

Like I said though it is affecting the amateur game and its starting to become less about the game on Saturday but also about the amount of time they spend in the gym of a week which I think is a shame as its a huge barrier to entry.

toys19
    Free Member

True. Mind you, Shane claiming to be 80kg is funny.

well I am 90kg and shorter than him, muscle weighs more than fat, he is more bulky these days. Having seen him in the flesh I believe it.

Hopefully, due to the lack of suntan in this pic, aa will be able to stop himself from letting the swimmers go..

DanW
    Free Member

Some info from the team announcement:

Dan Lydiate is injured

Anyone know anything about this?

Gatland: “At 10 the plan was to play one in the first game and one in the second. We will look at Hook next week and then make a decision on the Australia game.

“Rhodri has been training really well. We have been impressed with him. Scott Andrews is injured so again its a chance for a youngster.
    Hook might start a game 😯 Scarlets main tight-head is on the bench for Wales and their third choice loose head is starting on tight head 😯

Gatland: “We don’t want to inhibit them. When Rhys Priestland ran the ball from behind his own line that was really exciting. We want the players to express themselves.”

Step in the right direction which is good.

Gatland: “Giving players experience for the World Cup is important, so this is our chance to give some players on the edge some experience.”

Seems fair enough although the team does look odd on first viewing!

Edit: also talk of Priestland to Clermont or Glos????

muscle weighs more than fat

No! Muscle is denser than fat. Expecting Shane to be 80kg, especially for most of his playing days not just post- retirement bulk up, is highly unlikely. As I said, an ex-team mate laughed out loud seeing 80kg quoted and I think they are far better placed than us to judge

IdleJon

toys19 – Member

Hopefully, due to the lack of suntan in this pic, aa will be able to stop himself from letting the swimmers go..

Which one are you?

🙂

edit: which one is you? Of the two of them…. I can’t make that 4 word question sound right! More coffee needed.

toys19
    Free Member

I am both of them.

Muscle is denser than fat

Indeed which means for the same volume, it is an actual scientific fact that muscle weighs more than fat, which was was my implication.

Anyway I am happy to believe it. 80kg is only 12.5 stone.

anagallis_arvensis

Lydiate has an ankle injury, he always plays with heavily strapped ankles.
    Hook will start with the other canon fodder v tonga… good luck mate!
    I am presuming Samson Lee isnt starting due to his lack of fitness, Gatwards demand fitness from players first and foremost.. Lee is a tub of lard. Hope to see him get a half though… surprised James wasnt the one asked to switch sides

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ire team to play the crims

Ireland: R Kearney; T Bowe, B O’Driscoll, L Marshall, F McFadden; J Sexton, E Reddan; C Healy, R Best, M Ross; D Toner, P O’Connell; P O’Mahony, S O’Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, S Archer, M McCarthy, K McLaughlin, C Murray, I Madigan, R Henshaw.

DD will love the Lions scrumhalf being dropped for D4’s finest 🙂 At least that crap flyhalf Sexton has made the team, phew!

IdleJon

toys19 – Member

I am both of them.

Muscle is denser than fat

Indeed which means for the same volume, it is an actual scientific fact that muscle weighs more than fat, which was was my implication.

Anyway I am happy to believe it. 80kg is only 12.5 stone.

You’re absolutely right. I think my brain needs a nap! 🙄 (In my addled head I translated 80kg to somewhere near Adam Jones weight..)

DanW
    Free Member

Hadn’t considered the cannon fodder aspect of Hook starting against Tonga 😕 Poor guy!

Is Ryan Bevington in the mix for Wales or injured at the moment? He seemed to be coming on nicely along with Paul James…

Just noticed… is Shane wearing Non’s shorts? Size womens small perhaps? 😀

IdleJon

BlindMelon – Member
    At least that crap flyhalf Sexton has made the team, phew!

Don’t recall anyone saying he was crap, just a bit premature calling him world-class.

Pigface
    Free Member

Don’t recall anyone saying he was crap, just a bit premature calling him world-class.

+1

toys19
    Free Member

We all know BMI is bollocks, and it is common for muscly people to be considered obese, so according to the BHF Shane is just in the obese range.
    Given the level of bulking up he did towards the latter half of his int career I can’t see how anyone can say 80kg is out range of a fit powerful rugby player of his stature.

duckman

Ha ha,according to that, the upper ideal weight for my height is 14.5 stone. I don’t recall being less than 15 after the age of 15 😀 when I pushed the boat out trying to get a sustained run in 1xv championship rugby I was fit as a butchers dog and 17 stone.

toys19
    Free Member

exactly, so for a typical rugby player will always be on the mildy obese range. For Shane to be just in the ideal weight range he would need to be bang on 12 stone…

BlindMelon
    Free Member

just a bit premature calling him world-class.

I don’t think it is. A winning Lions tour, 2 heine cups and a Rabo in 3 years is an excellent achievement. DC is the only flyhalf consistently better in the world IMO.

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t think it is. A winning Lions tour, 2 heine cups and a Rabo in 3 years is an excellent achievement. DC is the only flyhalf consistently better in the world IMO.

But has he scored a try against england? If not he has failed to deliver!

Irish team looks strong.

DanW
    Free Member

On the Sexton topic, I don’t think he does much that stands out as shockingly amazing but when you consider the consistent high level he has maintained for many years you can start to think of him a world class. A 10 that consistently does the right thing is almost more “world class” in my eyes than a hit and miss 10 with more X-factor. I wouldn’t immediately think of Sexton as world class but when you compare him to the other 10’s around at the moment it is hard to say he isn’t right up there. Bit of an on the fence opinion I know! 😀

Irish team do look strong although I guess strength in depth is going to be the recurring buzz word around the squad, much as with Wales

The weight and BMI thing is funny 😀 Halfpenny is listed at 1.78m and 85kg, Priestland 1.83m and 87kg, Danny Care 1.75m and 85kg, Ben Youngs 1.78m and 92kg 😯 Quite a variation in players all seemingly of similar height yet their builds don’t seem to correlate to their listed weight… it’s all a load of nonsense 😉

Edit, mental note: Do not post up my height and weight then a BMI chart

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Sexton must be at least 27 so I don’t think it is premature…I shall put my justification forward and await correction and education from my more knowledgeable betters. 😀

And please feel free to provide examples of players in any position you believe are world class and why. 😀

1. In the home nations context he is currently by a margin the best 10, hence why, even on this forum, he was first/only choice 10 for the Lions even Warren Gatland could not fail to pick him.
    2. His game mgmt and control are consistently extremely good.
    3. His place kicking is consistently good
    4. Leinster v Northampton HC 2011(I think) I accept not an international but he is widely accepted as the main reason Leinster came back and won that match with a virtually flawless 40mins.
    5. He is not as exceptional as Dan Carter but as I posted earlier I think Carter has raised the expectations, probably unfairly, of what a 10 should be like.
    6. Just because there is a lack of competition does not mean you can’t be judged to be at a certain level.

Disclaimer: All the above is simply my opinion which I am sure can be proved both correct and incorrect by a GIF montage to music.

ekul
    Free Member

mmmmyeah but sometimes people can be heavier than they look. I’m about a stone heavier than the number 8 at my club but look nowhere near as big despite being of a similar height. Muscle and Bone density is a strange thing to try and accurately calculate in my experience.

Also in agreement re. Sexton. He is a brilliant player but is always at a disadvantage as Dan Carter has raised the bar for number 10’s by such a huge margin! I’d say Sexton is on a par with Cruden (admittedly i’ve not watched the latter play much)

anagallis_arvensis

But has he scored a try V england 😉

I agree he’s excellent.

duckman

Why are we arguing? With the exception of Carter, all 10’s are crap,that why we have forwards.

Pigface
    Free Member

According to the BMI chart I should be dead 😆

clubber
    Free Member

1000!

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.