Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • duckman

So did Phil Sackey 8)

wrecker
    Free Member

Barrett?
    Tuilagi is on the teamsheet. I’d go Burrell inside, he’s been the stand out centre in the prem this season. Possibly not for the AB game though. I also think the Chiefs’ Sam Hill is going to be pretty awesome in the not too distant.

duckman

With all due; the English backs have looked disjointed in the two games so far. Englands best hope is to use their vastly superior back row to choke the life out of the Blacks backs….Oh wait… 😛

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I still reckon that Rollands accent went from soft Irish in 1H to full gallic in the 2H. It was weird.

I wish refs would regain some authority with the back chat and advice. Tell the players to shut up, stop appealing for things and allow the capt to speak only when play has been halted. And then not to over do it. We want to keep the sport distinct from wendyball after all.

Interetsting to see the different viewpoints of Graham Price v Brian Moore on the yellow cards. I am siding with Moore at the moment, the responsibility ultimately lies with the players. But the scrum is becoming bloody tiresome these days.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wish refs would regain some authority with the back chat and advice.

Bring back Clive Norling! 🙂

However, Nige is the man!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoBNFOxlQM[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great clip Flashy, thanks!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

With all due; the English backs have looked disjointed in the two games so far.

I think that’s actually being quite kind. 9-10-12 plainly isn’t working, the problem is, seems like they won’t change it.
    I’m very encouraged by the pack but there’s nothing behind it. The ABs will rip 12T and Tomkins apart.

Kryton57

The ABs will rip 12T and Tomkins apart

I’d be amazed if this isn’t AB’s gameplan A

tinybits
    Free Member

Barrett is good defensively, but I think other than against the AB’s (and I can only assume they didn’t bother to mark him as it’s never happened before!), he’s never broken the line before and any rare ball that Fazlet gets out to him, dies in his arms. Kind of makes anyone decent outside of him pointless.
    I haven’t watched Burrell, but will keep my eyes open.

wrecker
    Free Member

I haven’t watched Burrell, but will keep my eyes open.

Do mate. He seems to have been given a “bosher” title but I think that’s due to his size. Watch him play and you’ll realise that he’s a very athletic footballer with a good range of skills.

tinybits
    Free Member

the problem is, seems like they won’t change it.

And that’s the real frustration with Lancaster, I’m 100% behind the pick on form, however he doesn’t apply it. Youngs is not playing great for Tigers, Fazlet is the 2nd best English flyhalf at Saracens, 12T was playing very well last season, Tomkins I’ll admit I’m don’t know, Ashton is pathetically poor, I’ll be buggered if I can remember the other wing, but he’s a fullback and I reckon that the fullback’s actually playing very well.
    The packs about the best we have, minus a couple of injuries, and I can see Graham Rowntree’s work there, but they’ll be matched by the all blacks, while the backs rip us apart.
    At least Wales entertain while they loose!

anagallis_arvensis

Will be intresting to see how walrs play next week. With Roberts,Cuthbert and Davies gone from the backs plan A of run straight and best them up wont work, especially with Beck at 12. Wonder if they will play wider and select Tips and Warbs together, Lydiate wasnt great anyway.

Pigface
    Free Member

How on earth did the Ashton try get given? Unbelievable.

anagallis_arvensis

I can only think its a conspiracy to keep him in the england team!
    Go Gashton Go. He’s great.

Tom-B
    Free Member

The thing that amazes me most about Tips is that he’d probably be much better on the wing than any of the wings that have started for England this Autumn 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

And the centres! He’s seriously talented just lacks warbs bulk.
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3tolumFes[/video][video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oFvtYbnKJj8[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

Having disturbing images of AA in a cheer leader outfit with pom poms shouting give me an A, give me an S give me an H. . . . . . . .

That may give Darcy the strangest . . . . .

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading this thread back a little and I don’t understand something.

Wales are (in my mind) a clearly a better side than England.
    Australia are a better side than England
    I expect England to beat Australia
    And I expect Australia to beat Wales

And I think this is thought the same by a lot of people, but why? Wales are better than England, yet England fans, team and media expect them to win, Wales are plucky losers yet England are shite if they fail to win.
    Any thoughts (other than get on with your work!)?

toys19
    Free Member

It is about the dynamics of STW

AA is the self appointed rugby expert on here who is sucked up to by most people, and thinks he has “an understanding of rugby” which is greater than everyone else’s.
    A large proportion of the other participants are also Non England supporters, the remainder are made up of England supporters who dare not argue with the great AA as he has more clever sounding phrases in his armoury.
    A few are idiots like me who waste their breath trying to counter the PoMo rubbish that is spouted on here about Rugby.

Thus anti English/pro Wales sentiment is strong here.

If you look at the statistics, England win more games on the world stage than Wales, so in theory are better, but Wales can raise their game against England through bitterness or something, (and probably intimidate the little rose somehow) but seem to be unable to regularly bottle this feeling and use it elsewhere.
    There is also the size of the pool to consider. England should be about 100 times better than Wales as our population is 100 times bigger, so that makes us especially crap and Wales especially good pro rata (which is true I agree with this)

So your assertions

Wales are better than England, yet England fans, team and media expect them to win, Wales are plucky losers yet England are shite if they fail to win.

Are only true if you believe them.

I think in general England are better than Wales, as is proven on the world stage. Your opinion may differ.

the rest comes down to minority effects much like racism, Wales can hate England as we oppressed them in the past, we cannot hate Wales as that would be racist. Thus whilst I believe it is a fact that if England or Wales lose it is because they are shite, but you cannot berate Wales for losing as it is always England’s fault, even if they lose to Fiji.

(I’m invoking the Edinburgh defence in advance, whilst I believe all of the above to be true, nobody deserves to die over a game of rugby, so please do not come and burn my house down in the name of Owain Glyndwr I am just putting the banter out there OK…)

Kryton57

Speaking as am English supporter who doesn’t care about crossing AA… and has played county level rugby….

As a team England are better than Wales, full stop. However they are better by having more players at mediocre plus level, rather than a couple of players at outstanding level as have Wales. It’s a 25 man game after all.

Everyone wants to beat England – call it the kick back of colonialism or whatever you will, and I believe most teams carry a psychological edge against England, with the exception of the AB’s who are pretty much the whole package.

There, I said it.

Pigface
    Free Member

As a team England are better than Wales

errr no they are not 😆

Is AA an expert? Are any of us experts, I just enjoy watching the game and having some banter about it.

I do agree in part about beating england, for me it is hard wired into my DNA for the Kiwis and Australians I have spoken to it is a range of reasons, Not sure the Irish Scottish or South Africans are that bothered, a win is a win.

I could be wrong.

toys19
    Free Member

errr no they are not

is contradicted by

a win is a win.

As england win more than wales…

I’m in scotland right now, and they hate us more than the welsh I can assure you. In Wales its piss taking and abuse, in scotland its actual death..

IdleJon

Pigface – Member

I do agree in part about beating england, for me it is hard wired into my DNA for the Kiwis and Australians I have spoken to it is a range of reasons, Not sure the Irish Scottish or South Africans are that bothered, a win is a win.

The SAs hate England just as much as anyone else judging by a NZ v Eng game I watched in Cape Town a few years ago. I was genuinely surprised by the vociferous support of NZ.

toys19 – Member

I’m in scotland right now, and they hate us more than the welsh I can assure you. In Wales its piss taking and abuse, in scotland its actual death..

You English boys don’t really understand the Welsh ‘hatred’ thing do you? It’s not hatred at all, but it would take too long to explain it, and would take the thread too far away from rugby.

By the way, as to A_A being an expert, didn’t I read on here that he’s only about 26? Or did I make that up?

tinybits
    Free Member

Wales are better than England

Well, I must say every time I watch wales, I think, blimey, I wish some of the English play was like that! Then I look at the scoreboard* and wonder what on earth is wrong….

Not sure I even understand m own mind

*Of course, this doesn’t apply to the six nations last year, any more than The england performance against NZ is indicative of normal performances

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

These threads* have made me derive more satisfaction from Wales losing than England losing. I’d never have thought that possible. 🙂

*and Gatling.

toys19
    Free Member

These threads* have made me derive more satisfaction from Wales losing than England losing. I’d never have thought that possible.

*and Gatling.

And me…

TBH I always stubbornly support Wales, just show the Welsh how a Rugby supporter should behave.

duckman

Toys; you are zokes in disguise and I claim my £10.

toys19
    Free Member

Nah, but I would happily welcome him into my bed..

Well, I must say every time I watch wales, I think, blimey, I wish some of the English play was like that! Then I look at the scoreboard* and wonder what on earth is wrong….

I often think that, then my welsh father in law will say, “if those boys concentrated on winning rather than looking pretty, Wales would win more often”

IdleJon

toys19 – Member
    TBH I always stubbornly support Wales, just show the Welsh how a Rugby supporter should behave.

I don’t support Andy Murray just because he’s British, don’t support Lewis Hamilton just because he’s British, don’t support the English cricket team just because they’re British. Why on earth would I support the English rugby team just because they’re near to where I live? That’s as irrational as hating them for the same reason! 😉

Reading that back ^^^^^^ it doesn’t quite make sense in the way I hoped! I meant ‘I don’t support ****** ONLY because…’ if that makes any more sense? 🙄 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

I support Wales as they are part of my nation whether thy like it or not.
    It is to do with my own received wisdom about rugby manners instilled as I learnt the game.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t hate the Welsh. I do however hate a_a 😀

IdleJon

toys19 – Member

I support Wales as they are part of my nation whether thy like it or not.

That might be the difference there Toys. I’m Welsh. Never think of myself as British.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I love these debates!!!

I’m Welsh. Never think of myself as British.

Ok, I can understand that.

I’m English. Never think of myself as British.

Arrogant **********’!!!!! 😉

Rare that I feel sorry for AA! C’mon guys he does do some great gifs.

toys19
    Free Member

THM, don’t get me wrong I love AA, imagine if we all agreed?

PS

I love these debates!!!

ArrogantRacist **********’!!!!!
    FTFY

Anyway this:

Is very sad, the faster full devolution comes the better.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s the Orangemen that have to play in green that I feel sorry for. There’s an identity crisis for you. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That really is odd Darcy isn’t it? I always think that during the anthems!!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Jonathan Davies off to Clermont. THey will potentially have him and Fofana in the centres with Sivivatu and Nalanga on the wings 😯

IdleJon

teamhurtmore – Member

I love these debates!!!

Arrogant **********’!!!!!

No, not at all. I doubt that any Welsh/Scot/Irish person cares whether you think of yourself as English or British. We get stroppy when you confuse English/British.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Very true IJ

I doubt that any Welsh/Scot/Irish person cares whether you think of yourself as English or British

Yes, probably very true.

I doubt that any English person cares whether you think of yourself as Welsh or British

Arrogant *************. My nationality and heritage is important. 😉

BlindMelon
    Free Member

It’s the Orangemen that have to play in green that I feel sorry for. There’s an identity crisis for you.

lol – when we are playing England its even worse, Rory Best doesn’t know whether to sit/stand, sing the Queen or sing the sash!

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.