Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Wales will only win 2 of the A I’s and that will be tough 😕 lucky for me I keep telling myself they dont matter and its a money making exercise for the WRU

wrecker
    Free Member

England are their own worst enemies IMHO. The pressure and expectation to win (by fans, media and management) causes conservative selection and tictacs, and stands in the way of player and team development.
    I heard a commentator say that if England didn’t win “questions would be asked”. Why?
    Get the young fringe players in there. You’d have thought they’d look at Wales and realise that’s the way forward rather than stick with “steady” players for their experience. I long for the day they chuck it about a bit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pigface if you cannot beat the Southern Hemisphere in the friendly AI’s you are never going to beat them in a tournament which matters, i.e. the RWC. Hopefully the Lions success will install a winning mentality for Wales.

@Ijs you have a point

duckman

The problem Lancaster has is that EVERY pigging headline starts with “Two years out from the World Cup…” England will not win the WC,why put the expectation on the squad of players and coaches? Why not build their international team to win games and take some of the pressure off.

Pigface
    Free Member

england could win the World Cup if the ref helps them like Saturday 😉

jambayla I cant see Wales turning over New Zealand ever, The Boks are very strong at the moment, I think we can beat them if our first choice are all on the pitch together the astral alignement is correct and the seer of Tonypandy deems it so.

That is not going to be this Saturday.

duckman

Sat will be a chance for Phillips to test himself against the second best 9 in the world at least… 😀

IdleJon

Pigface – Member

england could win the World Cup if the ref helps them like Saturday

Jeez, Tondu could win the RWC with that sort of help! 😉 (@ Saes, that’s a joke ok? )

ambayla I cant see Wales turning over New Zealand ever, The Boks are very strong at the moment, I think we can beat them if our first choice are all on the pitch together the astral alignement is correct and the seer of Tonypandy deems it so.

That’s the ridiculous thing though, isn’t it – Wales could win on Saturday. They have a team strong enough to do it. But having beaten SA, a team that regularly beats NZ, Wales would be totally unable to kick on and compete against NZ. All in the head!

jambalaya
    Free Member

All in the head!

@IdleJohn has it !

NZ where terribly nervous in the last RWC final, they nearly lost to France who where the fourth or fifth best team in the tournament. I wonder whether you Welsh lads are just trying to talk down expectations, we all expected England to get crushed last year but we had a couple of breaks and it was NZ who were on the back foot, Wales are more than capable of doing the same.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I think winning the RWC has mentally released NZ and they can just go out and play now. I can’t see a NH team beating them this autumn and i think they will win each game quite comfortably none of the home nations have the basic skills and are far too over drilled to compete with NZ.

I actually fear for England most as, ill or not as NZ were last year, England beat them well and i suspect NZ are still smarting and will be looking for revenge+ this year.

IdleJon

ijs445ra – Member

I actually fear for England most as, ill or not as NZ were last year, England beat them well and i suspect NZ are still smarting and will be looking for revenge+ this year.

That’s true.

duckman

Jings;the English supporters are all turning into Celts!
    Look at it this way,Sat will be a chance for 12T,Ashton and Tomkins to ram the negative press right down everybodys throats when they face Nonu,Smith and Dagg.Likewise Robshaw and V-P will be able to show that the hype surrounding McCaw and Reid is just paper talk.
    Cheer up guys;Dilly Dally will no doubt have a piece (including diagrams) on how England can beat the AB’s in at least one of the papers. To do this, his diagrams will involve a drone strike during a certain dance.

anagallis_arvensis

pigface if you cannot beat the Southern Hemisphere in the friendly AI’s you are never going to beat them in a tournament which matters, i.e. the RWC. Hopefully the Lions success will install a winning mentality for Wales.

Wales wont beat SA they could beat Aus but most likely wont and they wont win the world cup as the back up players to the likes of Adam, Davies, Faletau, 1/2p especially are not good enough.

wrecker
    Free Member

A_a; do you think that the regionalisation of the clubs has messed things up further in this regard?
    Only 4 pro teams, limiting the amount of talent which can be developed?

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure the regions are the issue tbh theres just less pro’s in Wales as the playing population is smaller. I actually think the regions do a good job of developing talent better than the english game. Regions problem is lack of supporters and funding.

Top five rugby tough nuts….
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Km3-d-4NE[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Top five rugby tough nuts…
    Absolutely brilliant. Why can’t our rugby coverage be that FUNNY?! I’m laughing so loud I think I’ve upset the neighbours 😆
    Lima’s hit on Hougaard was so funny. Looked like he was saying “Someone call this guy an ambulance” after!

anagallis_arvensis

I love Collins chucking the ball at Mcaw. “who **** did that, oh sorry as you were”.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Chabal?!? 😆

[video]http://youtu.be/CVHCDwuqJMw[/video]

Funny clip though. Thing is, football gets that kind of funny stuff as well as serious stuff here. Why can’t rugby do the same? It’s so bloody serious all the time (apart from Internet forums of course).

Pigface
    Free Member

Shelford might be tough but he cold hit Richards, bit cowardly IMO.

duckman

Gents;Being new to twitter,any funny rugby feeds I should be following?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Brian Moore 😀

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Scotland team to play Japan on Saturday

Scotland: Sean Maitland, Tommy Seymour,, Nick De Luca, Matt Scott, Sean Lamont, Ruaridh Jackson, Greig Laidlaw, Ryan Grant, Ross Ford, Euan Murray, Tim Swinson, Alastair Kellock, Alasdair Strokosch, Kelly Brown (capt), David Denton.

Replacements: Pat MacArthur, Alasdair Dickinson, Geoff Cross, Richie Gray, John Barclay, Henry Pyrgos, Duncan Weir, Duncan Taylor.

A few injuries so probably a couple of forced changes but i would have liked to see Dunbar/Taylor/Bennet start at 13 with Scott at 12.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

And Gatland just can’t help himself

“Wales v South Africa: Warren Gatland rejects Rolland meeting”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24814317

toys19
    Free Member

pigface if you cannot beat the Southern Hemisphere in the friendly AI’s you are never going to beat them in a tournament which matters, i.e. the RWC. Hopefully the Lions success will install a winning mentality for Wales.

This whole concept is very interesting. Consider England Vs Wales – Our record is nigh on 50/50 over the past 100 years. But England vs any southern hemisphere team compared with Wales vs any other southern hemisphere team and England come out on top. If only Wales could channel their hatred elsewhere they would be world beaters..

Pigface
    Free Member

If only Wales could channel their hatred elsewhere they would be world beaters..

😆 That may wind a few brethren up

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    England are their own worst enemies IMHO. The pressure and expectation to win (by fans, media and management)

Really? QF, RU, 4th, QF, Champs, RU, QF – record that suggest and merits high expectations, surely. But….

causes conservative selection and tictacs, and stands in the way of player and team development.

….partly true although I am not sure about your causation!!! We were v conservative on Saturday for sure. I long for the days when we will see an England 3/4 line attacking the ball at pace, using the correct angles and executing some exciting moves. But am resigned to more flat balls, and attempts to muscle across the gain line….yawn.

The original Total Rugby thesis had much to admire in it, but the way Eng and others interpret this – usually having the from rows playing in the centre positions in the 2 phase onwards – is a backward not a forward (excuse the pun) step IMO.

On Gatland I can’t decide is he:

1. Very astute and a master of gamesmanship or
    2. Thick, rude and just a bit of a ****?

Either way, he gets results!!!

Edit: I get the swear filter thing now!! Sounds like cat!!! Can’t be bothered to edit the damn autocorrect stuff though!!!

toys19
    Free Member

well I find it amusing that people consider that Wales need a

winning mentality

, they have one, it just depends on who they play.

Pigface
    Free Member

Have england ever played total rugby? I think you dont see england players hitting the line at speed and running angles is because 1 it is coached out of them, 2 they are not good enough to play that kind of game, physically yes but not in speed of thought.

england have always played the same way grind them to pulp at the front and then let the show ponies exploit the gaps, that and a kicker won the world cup. It can put pay to the majority of teams but with South Africa and New Zealand playing the way they do then everyone is playing catch up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sadly only on very rare occassions pig face (and this is from a Tigers fan!!!!!!)

SA and NZ do seem to be in a different league (different diets?) at the moment

toys19
    Free Member

Pigface – no.
    I quite like your assessment

grind them to pulp at the front and then let the show ponies exploit the gaps, that and a kicker won the world cup

Its a succinct way of describing what really annoys me about english rugby, we have too many show ponies who think they are going to crash the line and score from halfway, instead of drawing the man and making an excellent offload.

To my basic way of understanding the game – if you examine your average All Black – he appears dedicated to making space for his team mate to score – one excellent way of doing that is to draw as many men into tackling you and then release the ball to the next player – sooner or later you get a massive hole in the defence and you score. Our backs seem to think that they should physically bore the hole in the defence..

anagallis_arvensis

Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Unattached): Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Toby Faletau.
    Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Scott Andrews (Blues), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Biggar must beright pissed off.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Unattached – 😉

I hope spikey has a good game, pished or not!

Pigface
    Free Member

Oooh I hope Walker gets some space because he is quick. Big game for the kid.

wrecker
    Free Member

Really? QF, RU, 4th, QF, Champs, RU, QF – record that suggest and merits high expectations, surely.

At RWCs, yes. That’s not the point though. The games which are not RWC games are opportunities to test and develop new players and tictacs, but the pressure to win every game(as demonstrated by the comment I mentioned) makes the coaches stick to what they know (aptly described by pigface). If we want to score more tries and play some running rugby; we will lose a few games on the way which doesn’t seem to be acceptable, even in low consequence matches (like the AIs).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hmmm, it’s very interesting wrecker for sure. I have some sympathy with your point especially when it comes to Autumn internationals. Plus, the “occassion” aside, internationals can be rather dull affairs to watch these days*. This is tempered by the fact that we are talking professional sport played at the highest level involving.the best teams in the world (and Scotland 😉 ). For the coaches and the players, there can only really being one objective at this level. Sad to say, their jobs depend on it.

The SA press and public hound their coaches and players much more than we do BTW

* a telling recent moment for me was the last Lions match during the SA tour at Ellis Park. At the start, the spectacle (?!?) involved watching Steyn and Roberts run through each other. Then the glorious moments when the ball came to little Shaney and he chose to run around the oppo not through them!!!! The forgotten skill……

Pigface
    Free Member

Is getting to the QF of the world cup a great result for a team with the resources of england.

toys19
    Free Member

Is getting to the QF of the world cup a great result for a team with the resources of england.

No. Given that we have more players than all of the rest of the unions in the world added together, we ought to be ruddy amazing. It is disappointing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No not really, but then you are squaring wrecker’s circle!

wrecker
    Free Member

A NZ show us time and again, it’s not about how many players you have. It’s about how good the top 30-odd are and how they are coached to play. There’s nothing inferior about English athletes, so that leaves one thing……

but then you are squaring wrecker’s circle!

How so? My points are regarding expectancy, selection and ambition out of the RWC.

toys19
    Free Member

wrecker, you think the coaching sucks? I’m not doubting it btw, well, I really have no idea, anyway, how so?

wrecker
    Free Member

wrecker, you think the coaching sucks?

Not necessarily sucks, but I think the culture is wrong. The players aren’t somehow genetically inferior to those from NZ or SA.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.