• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by al.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2013 Nukeproof Mega AM – experiences and feedback
  • Mintyjim

Thinking about getting one of these as I have a 2012 which is great but I fancy a change.

I have Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti’s (with a straight 1.5″ steerer) and Reverb Stealth that limit which 160mm (26″er) frame I could look at.

Who’s got one and can I put a bottle cage on the inside of the frame triangle? That last point is very important!
    Cheers

al

Yes, you can put a bottle cage inside the front triangle (on my XL anyway).

edlomat
    Free Member

if you are selling your 2012 (I am after frame only) and its a large I might be interested.
    Cheers.

paul123
    Free Member

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on these as well.

Al – how tall are you and what’s the XL size like. I’m just over 6′ 2″ and wondering which might be the best size if I was to get one

al

I’m 6’3. Frame size for me is dictated by the fact I have a 410mm post on max to get leg extension. No way I’d fit a large. That said, the TT on a large would be too short for me anyway.

It rides fine. There a bit of granny ring pedal feedback if you g-out whilst pedalling in the granny. Never noticed it in the big ring (running a double ATM). Its no lightweight, the XL frame with Monarch+ weights the same as my old ReignX with a coil DHX3, but I’d rather than than it broke (3.8kg IIRC, I’d have to check to be sure). With a 170mm fork and a 50mm stem you get some front end wander on steeper climbs as you might expect, but is a hoon on the way back down. Rear pivots knocked from new, LBS said it was my BB but they lie like a cheap rug. I stripped the rear and rebuild it to torque spec and it still knocked. So I stripped it again, greased and threadlocked where I figured I should and did things up better and now its knock free and no issues since. Paint is cheap, chips off really easily. Monarch+ is a bit poo, but we all know that.

So far I’m very happy with it overall.

drew

Al, how does it compare to the Reign X ?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A friend has one – finds it very short.

He’s 5′ 10″ and has a large, IIRC.

al

It’s bigger, so it’s hard to compare. The ReignX has a shorter stroke shock for longer travel, so I worked the shock a lot more (blew it twice but only rode the thing a couple of dozen times). I’d say the Mega pedals better but feels as good down.

plecostomus
    Free Member

I have a new mega am 275 I’m 6,2″ and I ride a xl, built it weighs 33l not the lightest but goes downhill like a rocket and climbs pretty well too.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I got one a few months ago after trying one and decided i HAD to have one over the specialized enduro i was running at the time, anyways, i have a large, im 6’0 tall with a 6’3 wingspan and i find the large perfect with a 60mm stem, i think its an amazing bike once i got used to the slack head angle, it flies over the jumps waaay better than my old steed and i find it to be a great xc bike too, im made up with mine

rickon
    Free Member

Monarch+ is a bit poo, but we all know that

Eh? I’ve yet to read a review that’s negative about the plus….

What problems have you experienced?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    A friend has one – finds it very short.

He’s 5′ 10″ and has a large, IIRC.
    How long are his arms/torso compared to his legs. Makes more of a difference than his height.

Mugboo

+1 Rickon, whats wrong with the Monarch Plus? I’m considering one for my older Mega.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a Monarch Plus if you’ve got the old bike, just get TF tuned to stick the PUSH internals in it and bump up the ending stroke rebound a little.

It’s a totally different kettle of fish now.

Lester
    Free Member

my monarch plus is a great shock, and works very well on my mojo.its super plush and i much prefer it over the rp23 that came off of it

GEDA
    Free Member

I was looking at building up one of these. How would it compare to my old Patriot 66? I wanted something that I could chuck about with jumps and drops. Currently I am doing this with a Cannondale Prophet and a Dialled Bikes Alpine.

GEDA
    Free Member

And what is a good new price for a frame as I have read a few threads about discounting so it is hard to know what an ok new price is.

gpaevo
    Free Member

I have an 2013 AM in medium.

For the last 6 years I have ridden Intense frames in a small but realised this summer that with the progression in my riding and more focus on racing in France I need a longer frame for high speed stability. Decided on a Nukeproof as I get a massive discount on their products (and not having the full amount of cash for a YT Wicked LTD) so went for the medium frame. The top tube is 2″ longer than my Intense was so took a far bit of getting used to. 35mm stem sorted that out rightly.

Anyway, threw the Monarch+ in the bin as after the first ride, the bike felt dead on the trail. No real small bump sensitivity and due to these frames essentially being a single pivot design brake jack was apparent.

I’ve ridden a VPP frame with BOS for the past 5 years so fired a Stoy in the rear and my 180mm Idylle SC’s on the front.

Transformation! Amazing the difference a shock can make. Went out for a 26 mile all mountain ride there at the weekend with 2500 feet of elevation. Bike climbs well, it just sits in the sag nicely and doesn’t bob, but is a little heavy. On descent, well point down and ride anything.

So in short in my opinion they are a good frame, not great but certainly good. Paint quality is certainly not the best so I covered all the right areas in heli tape or Sugru. The real test for me will be next season when I have a load of races lined up but I feel that the Mega will perform ever bit as well as my Intense did but being more stable due to the longer wheelbase.

Go buy one 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…the bike felt dead on the trail.

I think that’s because you’re not running 650b. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was looking at building up one of these. How would it compare to my old Patriot 66?

Friend mentioned above replaced his 66 with a Mega. He reckons the Mega climbs better, but hasn’t really commented anymore – I’ll ask him.

Grump
    Free Member

Can’t comment on whether or not you can fit a bottle cage in or not, but a friend ran a fleet of the AM’s as rental bikes here in Chamonix all summer. Other than checking the bolts on the pivots all the bikes survived without any issues which, if you’ve seen what folk do to rental bikes, is pretty high praise!
    Here’s a wee review from the start of the summer, I can’t say I’ve anything to add to it after several months of occasionally borrowing the AM’s for a lap or 2.

2013 Nukeproof Mega AM review

GEDA
    Free Member

The question for me is if I need any more travel as my fav trails are ones where you are pumping the trail. What I realy want is to build up a strong bike that can take the clinks out of potential mistakes!

al

Eh? I’ve yet to read a review that’s negative about the plus….

What problems have you experienced?
    Well, if you are a man of stature, then you’ll find yourself running on max rebound. Thats fine when cold, but after a good long run it starts to kick a bit. They say it’s been fixed for 2014, but not tried one myself yet. Also, with sufficient air in the can to hold my arse off the ground its neigh on impossible to get full travel as the can is too small (and thats with an HV can) and there is too much compression damping. True, for lightweight match men who need to eat pies, these are not likely issues.

Then in general is does like hard sharp hits, it spikes. Also, slow speed wallow is not handled well.

YMMV, we are all different and one man’s gem is another man’s poo.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2013 Nukeproof Mega AM – experiences and feedback’ is closed to new replies.