Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2012 Zesty Bearing Replacements!
  • faz083
    Free Member

So confusing with these I swear…

I am looking to change all the bearings on my 2012 314 Zesty. I have identified that a Ceramic FSA BB is probably best, this will fit the 2012 correct? Next I am looking at headset bearings and I see that hope have them for sale, just the bearings so would these just fit into the cups? Or would it be worth getting a new headset, probably hope?
    Finally I can’t seem to find anywhere some decent pivot bearings. I want the full set please?

any ideas….?

maxtorque

All the “proper” bearings in the suspension are std twin seal “2RS” bearings. You can get them from places like Bearing Boys for very little money. I brought 4 complete sets for mine for the cost of one set from the normal suppliers (LBS etc)

The rear articulation bushes are the biggest PITA! The ones now supplied (by WLL etc) are not actually the correct size for a 2012 (can’t work out if they have actually changed dimensions between 2011/2012, or the supplier has changed) The factory built 2012 uses hard black anodised ally pins, the ones supplied as replacement, also apparently genuine Lappierre parts, are NOT hard anodised. I ended up putting the original bushes back in as even worn they were a better fit (the replacement ones would have spun in the frame and worn that out rather than the pin they are mean’t to turn on!)

Also, if you have a carbon rear triangle/stays, then the top hats just wear their way into the carbon of the stays, because the thrust loads are not taken by the plain bush:

Winter job for me is to design a proper sealled bearing solution for these parts!

faz083
    Free Member

God. And I thought it would be simple!

thankyou for your very comprehensive reply. Perhaps it’s best if I pull the bike apart and get out the vernier calipers then, get some generic ones ordered.

Press fit (in terms of headset and BB) is a total PITA! Going to have to give to LBS to fit for the sake of a £40 tool!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somafunk

Don’t bother taking it your local bike shop for them to fit the press fit bb and headset, zesty’s do not have a very tight tolerance fit with regard to these items so a gentle tap with a hammer and suitable block of wood to use as a drift will suffice, as long as you have a bit of mechanical sympathy you’ll be fine, otherwise if your a ham fisted ape then by all means hand it over to your local bike shop.

somafunk

PS For cartridge headset bearings and swingarm/suspension bearings try BETD, ask for enduro bearings for your 314 2012 Zesty as they are of a higher quality, they might also have enduro bearings you can fit into your existing press fit bb.

FuzzyWuzzy

I just bought mine off eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lapierre-Zesty-frame-pivot-bearing-kit-914-714-514-314-/140572274776?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20bac2b058 but got a bike shop to fit them, that was on an 09 Zesty though (how the heck you’ve knackered ones in a 2012 Zesty already I don’t know!). BB I changed 2 years ago for the Shimano XTR level one and it’s been fine since (although on it’s way out now) and the Headset I changed for a Hope one (can’t remember the exact model I bought although do remember it was a bit confusing at the time having been used to normal headsets…), that’s still feels like new after 18 months.

faz083
    Free Member

thanks again for the replies, helpful as ever. Will research the Enduro bearings they sound good.

how the heck you’ve knackered ones in a 2012 Zesty already I don’t know!

My understanding was that lapierres in general eat bearings for dinner? They wore out after 6 months of very light use, no pressure washing etc. I just thought they were crap.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t think they have a particularly bad rep for the bearings, mine lasted nearly three years and the bike regularly gets muddy and hosed down. The BB’s had a bad rep but that turned out mostly down to water collecting in the BB shell and you needing to turn the bike upside down and take the post out after cleaning to drain it (although this is now a PITA having changed to a dropper post).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2012 Zesty Bearing Replacements!’ is closed to new replies.