Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 2012 Zesty BB Suggestions
  • faz083
    Free Member

After spending a good 60 minutes trawling the net, starting as a complete novice on current BB standards, I am now aware my 2012 Zesty 314 is BB92. This is great. Except I am now completely lost as to what to order. All I know is that the Shimano ones are made of cheese.

I found an FSA on the WeLoveLapierre website which doesn’t look like it fits (according to the description). I found one on the On-One website which was linked in a thread, but doesn’t mention width, so I don’t know.

Furthermore, I get the impression that it needs to be somewhat specific to a “zesty”, like Lapierre have done some odd standard (or not as the case may be). Am I correct?

Ultimately. I want a BB92 (92mm shell size) bottom bracket that will last 12 months of riding, for less than £35. Help me out.

thank you.

somafunk

Here you go – enduro bearings, we stock Lapierre’s in the shop and replace all the BB bearings with Enduro bearings when they wear out, which is pretty quick, get in touch wi them and they’ll advise you on the various bearing qualities you can fit and you’ll be able to buy them from BETD Here

I’d also advise you to replace your headset bearings, the standard items are utter pi$$.

timmys

…and you’ll be able to buy them from BETD Here

Do BETD sell the entire Enduro bottom bracket or just bearings? (As here) I can’t find them on their website and they never responded when I emailed them. Would be nice not to have to order them from the US.

ayupwesty
    Free Member

Hi

I fitted enduro bearings and seals in my bb and they are very good,

got them off of ebay and would recommend

cheers

FuzzyWuzzy

The Shimano ones aren’t made of cheese, my second one has lasted 2.5 years. The problem with the Zesty is water gets trapped in the seat tube/BB area after washing/wet ride, if you get into the habit of turning the bike upside down and draining the water out the BB lasts a hell of a lot longer (the original BB lasted less than 6 months until I learnt this).

Blake

I’ve been running a KCNC BB in my Zesty for the last year, been quite impressed:

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1073/product

They’re designed so that it’s easy to just replace the the bearings (though haven’t had to do that yet).

boltonjon

I ran a Zesty for 18 months and went through lots of BBs

The best BB i found was a Raceface one

I’d also recommend drilling a hole in your bottom bracket shell – gets the water out as quickly as it goes in

honourablegeorge

I have the raceface one too, cheap from CRC, aluminium cups as opposed to the conposite (read cheap plastic) ones on the Shimano, and repalceable bearings, Phil Wood grease. Seems decent so far.

faz083
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I found this on CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51397

Would that work, in that case? Am I correct in saying the cups can remain in the frame? Or do I need new cups as well?

I have taken out the headset and it seems very crunchy but I thought a good clean and regrease would sort it. I may purchase new bearings in the near future.

I have read the point previously about the water drainage issue which I appreciate must be contributing, so I will consider drilling that.

thanks!

boltonjon

The water draining issue IS the problem. The seals on the bearings are good, hence the water can’t get out

I’m not sure how Lapierre treat warranties when a frame is drilled (not that they ever fail….)

faz083
    Free Member

Only fail I’ve seen on every lapierre is the rear triangle, so I personally wouldn’t worry.

So maybe just buying another identical £25 shimano is worth a pop? thing is i’d rather spend £10 more and get something twice as good NOW rather than be taking it all off again in 6 months.

maxtorque

On carbon Zesty’s / Spicy’s the BB tube is NOT connected to the main void of the frame, so even if you have a pint of water sloshing around in your frame (like i did after a bit too er, amfishous river crossing attempt…. 😉 the BB will be fine. Luckily on 2012 Carbon frames, all that water can just leak out the cracks……………….

faz083
    Free Member

Interestingly, putting mine back together again today to take to the LBS for bearing fitting, noticed mine has a hole drilled in the BB shell already! And quite a few in the rear triangle. Must be a design feature from 2012 onwards?

Can anyone confirm if that race face will fit? Else I will just order the identical Shimano which is in there.

filtertips

As FuzzyWuzzy said, it’s the water trapped in the bottom bracket area after a wet ride. When you replace the current one stick a piece of duct tape across the hole where the seat tube meets the BB shell (make sure it’s dry and clean first. Also make sure you tip the bike upside down after a wet ride to drain the collected water away. Certainly helps extend the life of the BB (9 months so far with no sign of ceasing up).

faz083
    Free Member

Ok. I will order the Shimano then 🙂

thanks for the advice people

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Maxtorque – how do you know this? My bb on my carbon zesty has gone a bit stiff after only a handful of stupidly wet rides, and each time I’ve tipped a pint of water out of the seattube.

Faz083 – I’ve had a KCNC in a previous alloy Zesty and this was very good. Only one join/seal for the water to seep through, so it seemed to last longer. Thats what I’m going to order for my carbon.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anyone tried the superstarcomponents one?

robido

got the superstar ceramic one. not been in long ok so far. looks well made so hope it lasts longer than shimano cheese

robhughes
    Free Member

Do any of you know if you can just replace/upgrade the headset bearings on an 08 spicy without changing the whole headset.

maxtorque

I know that because i changed the BB on my 714 before christmas, and while it’s out you can see just a plain carbon tube across the BB, no holes to other parts of the frame for example. It makes sense on a carbon frame, where you can maintain the tollerance for the push fit bb by just bonding in a previously cured and complete cross tube of the correct diameter.

faz083
    Free Member

I ordered the Shimano one, identical to one that’s in there, for £23.70 from Merlin. TBH changing BB is not a huge job but I will be happy if it lasts same amount of time as this one has (18 months).

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d be wary about drilling a drain hole as I can’t see it getting past Lapierre’s warranty, not done it myself for that reason anyway.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Good stuff, so I can leave all that water sloshing around in the frame without worry of wrecking my BB 🙂

faz083
    Free Member

as I said mine already has a hole drilled?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah they might well have sorted the issue now, my Zesty is a 2009 model

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘2012 Zesty BB Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.