Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 2012 SLX and XT brakes. Any feedback?
  • mart
    Free Member

I’m thinking about moving to Shimano from Hope as I’m not a fan of the Tech lever and the Race brake gets shocking reviews. The 2012 SLX and XT look good (as far as I’m concerned) and seem to be reviewing really well. If anyone’s been using either and have any opinions I’d be interested. Also I’d like to know if anyone’s using 160 rotors front and rear and feel that they have enough stopping power for UK trail use. Thanks.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Don’t go by all the reviews.The Hope Race is a good brake.Mine were underfilled when new.When properly bled and adjusted they stop my 14 stone well.Could lock up both wheels easily! I am a Hope fan though!
    Thanx Max

chakaping
    Free Member

XT are amazing, using 180mm formula rotors with mine. Not finned pads.

Have a look through Bike Froum for “Cheap Xt brakes from Rose Bikes” thread – many satisfied custimers.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Shimano XTs are powerful enough for anything, Hope brakes other than the downhilly ones are not powerful enough.

somouk
    Free Member

I run a 2011 XT on the front and a 2010 Deore on the rear. The XT is excellent, stops my 14.5 stone easily and is noticeably more powerful than the deore on the rear but I’ve not felt the need to upgrade the rear yet as I’m reasonably light on the brakes.

mandog

any idea if new Saints will be coming out?

Lucas
    Free Member

2012 XT are the best I’ve had out of Hope Mini, Hope Mono Mini and Formula k24…….by quite a way

Sanny
    Free Member

When they work, they are good. However, my back brake needs bled for the third time. The 203 mm disc warped on the 4th day in the Alps a few weeks ago. The xtr finned pads wore quicker in mixed weather conditions than the resin ones. Good but could be better.

pottsathome
    Free Member

I run 160 and 180 on my xtr s and those disks are more than big enough to stop me. They are ice tech no idea if they make a difference

honourablegeorge

mandog – Member
    any idea if new Saints will be coming out?

Aaron Gwin’s bike suggests there will be….

mandog

nice find honourable george.

Likey.

I think I’ll hold off til they’re out.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I have 2 rides onto my new 2012 XT stoppers and effin love them!!! I’ve come from XT 775 and 2011 Saint….I would say I can’t notice that much difference than my Saints……can’t recommend these enough !!!!

tony24
    Free Member

Had my first ride yesterday initial small leak from reservoir has stopped so no worries there. They have so much power its unreal. they feel solid when you pull the lever unlike the avids which i have to bleed every bloody month. will update when i get a few more rides in too 😀

yunki
    Free Member

everyones raving about the power…which is nice..
    what’s the modulation like..? progressive..? stop/start..?

are they gonna pop me over the bars every time I breathe on them..?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of m785s just the other week.

First impressions are that they feel alot like the formula oros I replaced. Modulation seems good, and power, whilst not properly bedded in, is a little greater than fully bedded in oros. Levers are VERY short – I’ve had to cut my grips down to get the lever in the right position. They’re as heavy as my oros with braided hose, but the M785s have plastic hose, so they’re not super light, but aren’t porky either. Pad fins seem like a gimmick to me, and they rattle a little.

The shiny, electroplated plastic reservoir cover is going to peel in time too I reckon.

chakaping
    Free Member

Modulation is very good.

Power not quite up there with my Formula The Ones, but perfectly adequate for any bike.

rwc03
    Free Member

Got the new xt brakes, and they have better power and modulation than the previous version, the short levers are great for me, would definitely recommend them. Only minor drawback is they look a bit naff, the resevior looks smaller in the photos, bit bulky in the flesh. Hope brakes look lovely, but most people just want to stop rather than oggle their levers. Got the resin finned pads cheap, and they make zero difference to me this time of year, maybe need to be tested on a Spanish downhill to see the difference?

ds3000
    Free Member

I just got the 2012 Deore brakes from Rose for 30 quid each, I have to say that they are very nice indeed. I’ve previously used, Formula Oros, Hope Mono Minis, Avid Juicy 3s. The Deores are by far the best feeling of all of the above, great modulation and ergonomic levers. They’re not particularly light, but I suppose you’d go for the slx or xt for that. I can’t see myself moving away from Shimano now, unless they become hard to maintain.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought some resin finned pads to use in the Pyrenees a few weeks ago. We did a chairlift day at Luchon and a few other big long descents at Ax les Thermes and elsewhere. Brakes worked superb even tho my rear is not 100% (got some air in when trimming the rear hose). Finned pads will be completely unnecessary for 99% of UK.
    Definitely the best brakes I’ve owned Vs 2004 Hayes Nine, 2004 XT dual control, 2006 XT, 2008 Magura Marta.

One finger braking is all you need, so short levers are appropriate.

langy
    Free Member

One finger braking is all you need, so short levers are appropriate.

what about those of us that middle finger brake though? too short, surely?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve been using a set of new XT’s for about 2 weeks. 1 week on 160mm rotors on another bike but I liked them so much I moved them onto my main bike, a G-Spot with 203mm discs. They are great. Very bitey and you have to be careful not to just grab a handful but once you are used to them it’s easy to modulate them. I did a big 2000m desecent on Saturday and they were just as good at the bottom as they were at the top.

The levers are fantastic, no fiddling to get the right position or compromising with the shifter position. Thankfully no need to use matchmakers which I hated either. I think you could use them middle finger langy if you needed to.

I’m coming from a set of Elixirs which are good when they work but tempramental and difficult to bleed. The XT’s are 100% better so far. I’ll put another few weeks riding on mine and put a review up on my website.

mart
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

FOG

Have SLXs on current bike after XTs which were a few years old. SLXs excellent, in fact bought another set for the other bike cos the avids on it were so abysmal from new.

benjbish

Got some new 2012 SLX on my new bike. Love them. Anyone know where is best to buy pads…. any opinions on whether to replace finned pads with non-finned pads when the originals wear out?

Thanks.

scruff
    Free Member

Superstar sintered or kevlar, finned are just a gimick unless you ride in a really hot place with brake dragging massive downs, like Verbier but in the Atlas mountains, in June.

GaryLake
    Free Member

2012 XT with 180mm rotors and xc pads, on my Superfly 100. Bloody love them. Haven’t found them bitey at all, good modulation with stacks of power but really nice feel too.

Only a month old but if they prove to be reliable, a very special set of brakes and enough to ween me off Hope to be honest. Hope feel with Formula beating power.

martymac

got 2011 slx on one bike(203 and 180mm rotors)
    and 2006 deore onthe other (160mm rotors)
    the deore is ok, but the slx really is one finger braking.
    i weigh 22 stone btw, so surely if they stop me, you should have zero problems.

benjbish

Awesome, cheers Scruff!

cronin91
    Free Member

running the new XT brakes on my dh bike, plenty of power, put hope v2 to shame, and still worked just as good at the bottom of skiddaw or any other mountain

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘2012 SLX and XT brakes. Any feedback?’ is closed to new replies.