Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 2012 Rockshox Revelation RL – Oil Weights/Volumes
  • honourablegeorge

Anyone know what these need int he lowers?

(I’m guessing I can get a quicker answer here than finding it myself)

teasel
    Free Member

Lazy git. Took me about as long as it took to log-in to find it.
    PDF

honourablegeorge

And you found the wrong one… 🙂 – EDIT – tell a lie, oil is on your second page.

5ml of 15wt both sides, case anyone is wondering.

teasel
    Free Member

No, you’re right – I did link to the wrong PDF.

Correct one now, though…

honourablegeorge

Right. That had me confused anyhow. CHeers.

Seems very little, compared to others I’ve worked on.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s 5ml officially but you can get a ‘bit’ more in 😉

smiff
    Free Member

good tip Loco, how much would you put in? i’ve run out of oil on my rebas and revs before, luckily revs think i caught them before damage (not the rebas :/).. wish RS would redesign the forks to take much more oil, but i guess they love selling CSUs too much? 😉

Also what’s your take on using synth engine oil (Mobil1) instead of shock fluid in lowers? seems like a better tool for the job.

honourablegeorge

LoCo – Member
    It’s 5ml officially but you can get a ‘bit’ more in

How much more? Should I just fill it to the brim? 🙂

smiff
    Free Member

yeah that’s right fill ‘er up george and enjoy all that travel. 😈

honourablegeorge

Well, I have a good 5 mil of 15 wt on my jeans now, dammit.

What’s best for the foam rings on these? I know for Fox I soak them in a mix of Float fluid & 10wt oil – just soak in 15 wt for RS?

LoCo
    Free Member

Bit of 15wt on the foam rings but get them in fairly quick or they swell, 8ml is possible in the lowers. 😀

honourablegeorge

Cheers Loco

Any issue with the extra oil in the lowers for a set that’s been spaced down to 140mm?

LoCo
    Free Member

nope should be fine

smiff
    Free Member

Loco. engine oil. what’s your take? seems good to me.

LoCo
    Free Member

No, don’t us it, it’s designed for engines not suspension parts, suspension oil is a different blend with additives specifically for the need of suspension units.
    I know people use it without any issues, but I expect you could use olive oil (good quality virgin stuff 😉 ) and have no issues, but the specific stuff with work and feel better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bit of 15wt on the foam rings but get them in fairly quick or they swell, 8ml is possible in the lowers.

That’s what I do, and always have.
    Whats your feeling on the RS service guides that just use grease on the inside of the damper cartridges? They used to say put 5cc of 15wt in each air chamber…..

I’ve had brand new forks apart to change the travel, and used ones, and they seem to feel a tad nicer to me with oil, not grease

honourablegeorge

Hmm…tempted to try a little oil in there myself.

I could just undo the top cap and squirt a wee splash of oil in, couldn’t I?

smiff
    Free Member

suspension oil is a different blend with additives specifically for the need of suspension units.

ok i’m not being cheap, i’m trying to keep my forks supple after i had problems with stiction in a reba. 15w damper oil isn’t designed for lubricating bushes either, it’s made for damping (anti foaming etc). afaik fully synth oil like Mobil1 is a better bush lube and shouldn’t contain seal swellers etc (do not use semi-syth oils!). i had this recommended specifically by someone in the industry who should know what he’s doing.. only advantage i can see to using two weights of damper fluid is if the two areas leak together they’ll be compatible, but that shouldn’t happen anyway? i dunno what this and damper stuff do mixed, never tested.

have you ever tried it? 🙂

George sorry i misread, yes you can put air spring lube straight in the top, no more than a few ml or you’ll affect spring rate a bit. you want something really thick for this like fox float fluid (85w approx?). probably should clean out grease first though which really needs a dismantle to do right. the oil gradually works its way through to the negative side so may need topping up (and releasing from negative, but you should be servicing the fork before that becomes an issue i’d think?).

honourablegeorge

Yeah, I do the lowers reasonably often, should be right.

honourablegeorge

Right. My Revs now have a wee splash of float fluid in the air spring.

Looking inside, the grease seemed to be in one lump on the middle of the piston, whereas the fluid spreads right around and coats it. Can only be good, I reckon.

LoCo
    Free Member

Like I said suspension specific stuff will have been formulated for the specific application as will motor oil, engine components rotating and ocillating at high speed at high temperature and with other contaminents for the combustion process isn’t the same as what happens in a suspension fork, the same as it’s differnet to what happens in a frying pan when you cook an egg, but good olive oil would work as a lubricant 😉
    Suspension oil will be formulated for damping and as well as lubrication, even the piston that the shims are mounted onto to produce the damping with need lubricating, so I think the guy the that formulates the oil will have taken this into account.
    The most likely case of ‘stiction’ in forks is mis aligned or sized bushes and/or contaminated oil.

smiff
    Free Member

ok thanks, just wondered what you thought about it. the mobil1 seems to work well but no it doesn’t totally cure the stiction on that particular fork. it does hang around the wiper better i think.
    what do you charge for changing bushes on an ’08 reba? what about new lowers with bushes please as my dropouts are pretty knackered.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes we can change and size bushes or supply lower legs, drop us a mail for prices. 😀

rickon
    Free Member

good olive oil would work as a lubricant 😉

You said you’d never mention that to anyone. I feel dirty, and used.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘2012 Rockshox Revelation RL – Oil Weights/Volumes’ is closed to new replies.