Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2012 Garmin 800 with OS Maps – replacement options
  • dickie
    Free Member

My 2012 Garmin with OS maps is nearing the end of its life. Can I get a Garmin with OS Maps or transfer the OS maps onto another newer Garmin?

ampthill

Don’t you just put the micro sd card with the maps into the new Garmin?

I’ve never owned one but I was told to buy an old 800 just for the os maps on the card

jonnyboi

Almost all new garmins come with detailed maps preloaded

Map updates to older devices are still free

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/how-to-install-free-maps-on-your-garmin-edge.html/amp

PJay
    Free Member

Don’t you just put the micro sd card with the maps into the new Garmin?

Garmin have always had some odd licencing rules for their maps. If the maps were bought on an SD card then they’ll be locked to that card (the card will work on any unit but only off the original card).

If they were bought as a download or came supplied on the unit, then they’re locked to that unit and can’t be used on others. I’m pretty sure though that there are utilities available that’ll remove the protection so that they can be used freely.

intheborders
    Free Member

Almost all new garmins come with detailed maps preloaded

Not OS Maps.

owenh

The Edge 1030 has a SD tray and will accept the OS maps. From what I’ve read the 1030+ and 1040 don’t take a SD card.
    I used the OS maps for a while after getting a 1030 (also changed from an 800) but now don’t bother as the built in mapping I find better.

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I was going with the 830 but it has no SD card slot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.