Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2012 Carbon Nomad vs 5010 V2 for Morzine.
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Thinking about buying a 2012 carbon nomad frame to build up with my old 26er parts and maybe taking to Morzine.
    What are the pros and cons of the ‘old’ geometry?
    Should I bother or just use my 5010 v2 for Morzine?

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of trails are you looking to ride out there?

Assuming the nomad would fit you as well your new bike, I’d probably go with that myself.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Best option would be a used dh bike and your 5010. Only works if you drive there though.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I would have thought your 5010 would be fine. It’s probably got better set up components than anything you buy and build up cheaply for the trip. Just whack some bigger and stronger tyres on it and go for it.

I think the advent of new trail and enduro bikes which are much more capable than previous years will mean that the number of DH bikes in the Alps will gradually decline. We used to take out DH bikes but each year I’m seeing more and more 130-160 bikes out there. It opens up the opportunities of what you can ride (most people don’t hit up the big black runs anyway). A lighter trail bike will make getting to places like Morgins (an awesome set of trails) than lugging a DH bike that far.

Steve77
    Free Member

As long as there are braking bumps there will be DH bikes in Morzine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen people needing ropes to get out of some of the braking bumps…

Sensible answer which would you prefer in the garage a nomad or dh bike

sofaboy73
    Free Member

im sure your 5010 would cope admirably, but if you do go for the nomad i would take that as it’s just got a bit more ‘in it’ for gravity focused riding – bit more travel, bit ‘burlier’ on the descents and trough rock gardens but still feels lively and playful

i have a 2012 carbon nomad as my only bike now and i think they’re great. very capable up hill and a hoot down hill. if i had to pick holes in it i’d say the top tube is on the shorter side (i’m 6ft 1 and on the top end of the large for sizing meaning shortest stem i can run is 60mm without becoming too cramped) and dependent on what shock youve got, they can sit a little deep into the mid-stroke / feel a bit wallowy on some climbs – partially a function of the VPP and partially the slacker seat tube angle putting your weight further back. however once i got my shock (rp23) push tuned it removed a lot of this

i wouldn’t get sucked into this new / old geometry thing as, while the geometry of bikes has changed to longer lower slacker over the past few years, it’s only a progression of what came before rather than anything radically new rendering ‘old’ geo bikes redundant and unrideable in comparison.

kimbers

rather than anything radically new rendering ‘old’ geo bikes redundant and unrideable in comparison.

Having tried to go back to an older geo bike id say no take the solo actually getting a sh DH bike the best option

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I reckon I’ll stick with the 5010, it is such a well balanced bike it gives me a liar if confidence.
    As mikewsmith mentioned, the nomad/dh bike will just sit in the garage after Morzine!

legend
    Free Member

As mikewsmith mentioned, the nomad/dh bike will just sit in the garage after Morzine!

or you just sell it on for the same amount you paid

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2012 Carbon Nomad vs 5010 V2 for Morzine.’ is closed to new replies.