Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 2012 Boardman FS Pro – opinions?
  • Mintyjim

Hi,
    Interested to hear opinions about this…

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/fs_pro.html

Looks good value at £1500 with bolt thru front and rear etc…

Anyone got one? not much info on the internerd.

Cheers

skywalker
    Free Member

Friend had a 2010 one, it snapped on the chainstay.

Mintyjim

But they’re a different frame design for 2011/12?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    skywalker
    Free Member

I know, does that make them any better built though?

tetsujin
    Free Member

The new Boardman frames seem well made and have been reviewed in high regard. One of the bikes I like the look of if I went to FS.

I have 2010 HT Pro has been flawless.

Have heard that the older FS are prone to snapping ( Just like a number of other ‘better’ bikes – looking at you lapierre).

I’d be more worried about some of the issues with e BB30 and the machining tolerances on the newer frames that I have heard but understand that the newer batch of frames have sorted this? Not totally sure on this issue really but just what I have read here.

cookeaa

Who can say?

But a samle of one persons mate having owned and bust a differnt bike from the same manufacturer is hardly conclusive proof that they’re all gash though is it?

Applying your logic – I once owned a Raleigh Burner, it was Awsome; Hence all Raleighs Ever are Awsome! Fact! – So buy a Raleigh…

Mintyjim

snapping chainstays aside…yeh, bit concerned about the BB30 but the spec and geometry looks great, love the idea of maxle both ends on a 130mm bike. Looks lovely in the flesh too.

Been offered another 10% off too, so it would only be £1350…

stevepitch
    Free Member

Wifes got a Fs Team (long story which includes bike to work) and although there have been ‘issues’ (which have been resolved fairly quickly which I think is down to the fact that the guy in my local halfords is actually useful and knows what he is talking about plus he is actually competant with a spanner) they are very good bikes. Comfortable for day long rides good for blasting local trails and capable on most stuff you’ll face in the Uk

skywalker
    Free Member

Who can say?

But a samle of one persons mate having owned and bust a differnt bike from the same manufacturer is hardly conclusive proof that they’re all gash though is it?

Applying your logic – I once owned a Raleigh Burner, it was Awsome; Hence all Raleighs Ever are Awsome! Fact! – So buy a Raleigh…

1) Raleigh Burners were never, and never will be awesome.

2) He asked for opinions, I gave him mine, which is a damn site more than you have to offer having no experience whatsoever.

Mintyjim

Steve, what were those ‘issues’? BB30?

Skywalker – I appreciate your opinion!

stevepitch
    Free Member

She’s got the team which is standard BB and QR rear – The biggest problem with the whole thing was the monarch rear shock blowing up!!! It was sent back to be rebuilt / repaired / replaced, Fishers decided that they would replace the rebound assembly (which was at fault) and sent it back 2 weeks later the seals on the can went (they hadnt been replaced!) Halfords gave her the shock from the pro to replace the faulty shock so ultimately it was the rockshox element that failed.

Other than that no real issues to highlight more if the geezer working in halfords is useless take it straight to a ‘proper’ bike to be setup 😉

bellys
    Free Member

Bb30 bearings seem to go very quick halfords will strip and re grease.
    Also been told that the paint is crap and chips very easy. Not sure if this is true.
    Apart from that there very good bikes.

bellys
    Free Member

Bb30 bearings seem to go very quick halfords will strip and re grease.
    Also been told that the paint is crap and chips very easy. Not sure if this is true.
    Apart from that there very good bikes.

Mintyjim

This one is anodized, I believe from looking at it so the paint’s not a concern.
    Crappy BB30 bearings though, hmm. The price of progress!

skywalker
    Free Member

If it was me I’d personally go for this, or this in the lighter colour.

grim168
    Free Member

I have a 2011 team fs. Cracking bike but the rear linkages kept coming loose. Turns out the bolta are too short. Got some longer ones sent through.

z1ppy

I’d happily buy one, this years models seem really on the ball 130mm travel (just right for most UK riding) and slackish handling, whats not to like? Last years were a tad too ‘old school’ for me, though still immense value, even before you start looking at discount to shift unsold ‘old’ stock.
    As for reliability, it’s not like the first year Trek EX all had there chainstays replaced, is it? (lots & lots did)

poly
    Free Member

I have the team and its better than most other 1500 quid bikes I tested so the pro should be even better. I figured I wasn’t good enough to justify the extra…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

ST recently did a review I think, against similarly specced/priced bikes. I think it won.

guado78
    Free Member

I have a 2012 FS Pro a can only praise it really. The only 2 negative comments i will make revolve more around finishing, these are that the Seat-post had around 3 inches of lacquer removed by Halfords Staff when they originally put the post in place. Halfords would not entertain a replacement when i enquired later that week in spite of me not being out on the bike. The other negative was that some bolts came loose after the first couple of short rides out although this is something which everyone should check regularly anyhow (although keep an eye on the chain-stay bolt nearest the derailleur – had to be kept in place with thread-lock as the problem re-occurred). I have had no issues with the BB30 although i am only around 120 miles in. Likewise i have had no paint issues either.

Personally speaking i think you would find issues with all mass produced items, not just bikes. I have had small issues with virtually every bike i have owned. Ultimately we are buying Mountain Bikes to use as Mountain Bikes (i hope). They are going to get chipped and scratched its the nature of the sport i’m afraid.

The bike itself is fantastic, it handles well, is reasonably light and the equipment spec is virtually unrivaled for the money (only Canyon come close and they are mail order). You really do have to look at bikes around £2000+ to get a level of spec like it. The rear shock was simple to set up for me/my weight and although there is no lock-out on the shock the Pro-Pedal system does an excellent job of eliminating bob, its virtually non existent even when standing on climbs.

I am 5’11” with a 33.5″ inside leg and long arms, i settled on a Large. With my shoes on it gives me around 3 inches of stand-over in front the seat and clearance virtually all they way up to the Headstock/Stem.

Overall a great buy and would recommend to anyone who asked.

andyruss
    Free Member

Have the 2012 pro ht and l am very impressed so far. I have had no issues at all so far, the bike is shared by me and my son as a second bike and as such gets a fair bit of use. The bulld quality is good and the spec level is right up there, as for the bb30 l strippeed mine from new regreased everything and reassembled and have had no problems

Mintyjim

Well I bought the Pro FS in the end and I took it out for the inaugural run on Saturday at the Raven Trail in Brechfa.

Having used bigger travel bikes and DH bikes only over the last few years it was a fantastic shock to ride a shorter travel, lighter weight, bike and I absolutely loved it!

I admit, I did fit a 50mm stem and wide bars…

My mate was on a 2011 Trek Remedy and I was right behind him on all the descents – he’s ridden the Raven Trail many times and this was my first visit so I was pretty pleased.

I completely concur will all of guado78’s comments, for the money it’s a top bit of kit. As said, it’s mass production so what more can you expect, although I did completely strip it and ensure all the bolts etc. were greased, loctite’d and tightened.

Highlights were the geometry, 2 x 10 gears (simply brilliant) and snappy 142mm Maxle rear end (almost hardtail like). Actually the real icing on the cake was the fact I run a water bottle!!

Tyres are not my style, so on went High Rollers. No negatives to report, I was grinning ear to ear!

daveyboy2012
    Free Member

Purchased a Boardman FS Pro 3 weeks ago, things were going fantastically well for the first hour. It was amazing downhill and it seemed to be handling the woodland trail I was riding very well.
    After this brief honeymoon period the BB30 bearings started to creak and unbeknownst to me the rear axle bolt had fell of somewhere!
    This was just the beginning of my nightmare however, as I was yet to deal with the shower of s**t known as Halfords.
    Took back into my local Halfords store, they said they would replace BB30’s (at this stage I didn’t know rear axle bolt was missing).
    3 days later they told me rear axle bolt was missing and they would have to order.
    8 days later bike was repaired.
    At no point did Halfords attempt to call me to update me unless I moaned to there head office.
    The staff seemed disinterested and at most times seemingly incapable of even answering the phone judging by the time I spent waiting for them to pick up.
    Total time taken to complete repair 11 days.
    Excuses offered, to many to list.
    Conclusion, avoid Halfords at all costs and unfortunately that means Boardman bikes as well.

trailster
    Free Member

The bike is very flexy, pivot bolts do snap, bb30 does creek all the time, DONT buy one and dont go to halfords its not a bike shop more a joke shop than anything, I should know I work at one.

Northwind

daveyboy2012 – Member

Total time taken to complete repair 11 days.

To repair something that you hadn’t noticed yourself. So, good of them to find the fault for you and fix it, and not too surprising that it takes longer than planned.

If they’d given you back the bike with just the BB replaced, and a missing bolt, how happy would you be?

jonke
    Free Member

My mate had 2. First one frame cracked. Got Second one on warranty and after a little while realised the disk brake mount was misaligned when welded to frame. Needless to say he asked and got his money back.

patriotpro
    Free Member

My had a 2010 model also and he really liked it – nothing cracked btw.

He got rid of it when we started going to Trail-centres but that’s cos he’s a brand-snob, nothing else.

Oh aye, I’ve heard of more Turners and Yetis snap than I have Boardmans, on this forum alone…

barn
    Free Member

Got a 2010.
    It’s very good.

markrh
    Free Member

Got a Team fs, so standard bb, qr rear,alu frame. Stiff as any other bike i’ve owned, rides and handles nicely, for the money its a great package.
    I don’t know how good the service is because i’ve had no problems but not expecting to much, but who knows they might be really good 😉

daveyboy2012
    Free Member

I have no problems with the guy pointing out the missing bolt and offering me to get it repaired, just the amount of time it took to get the parts and carry out the work. Apparently they had problems with their parts supplier.
    I gave the bike a check over before I took it out for its second ride (should have done that the first time) and there were still bolts that weren’t tight.
    The bike does ride well, I am just a bit worried about its reliability and the service I can expect from Halfords.

Northwind

daveyboy2012 – Member

I have no problems with the guy pointing out the missing bolt and offering me to get it repaired, just the amount of time it took to get the parts and carry out the work. Apparently they had problems with their parts supplier.

Honestly I think you just need to be a bit more realistic about that- a few days for a replacement part isn’t unreasonable really. Usually the ball would be rolling before you took the bike in.

They could have done it faster of course but that’s the difference between adequate and great IMO. Try ordering a spoke for an expensive Specialized wheelset and see how long it takes…

daveyboy2012
    Free Member

Maybe my expectations were to high.
    I work for Dell and all the parts are delivered by overnight courier and we’re sent out the next day to fix the equipment. I just don’t see why that is not possible in a place like halfords.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘2012 Boardman FS Pro – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.