Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 2012 BMC Bikes – Eye watering prices!
  • Treyster
    Free Member

Evans Cycles have just posted the new 2012 range of BMC bikes to their Website. They are the sole UK importer. In 2011 BMC had a couple of bikes that topped out at £4700. Carbon fibre frames with reasonable specs. This year They have a full range of bikes which now top out at £8700. Both Spesh and Cannondale (Industry leaders with full race teams) have now dropped their prices down from their 2011 price points.

I cannot see what BMC brings to the market that justifies their price structure, other than paying for Cadel Evans’s win bonuses. Help me out here?

BTW I am not a poor guy ranting about better for cheaper. I can afford a decent bike, I just strongly feel that some companies are taking the p!ss. I also don’t need ‘Its their price structure’ comments either. I’m just looking to start a convo’ about real world pricing

darrell
    Free Member

Is it because of the high value of the Swiss franc compared to the pound

bol

If their bikes are over priced, they won’t sell. I imagine that they and their non-Swiss resellers are equally disappointed if they’re not competitive.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s because Evans are the sole importer, and can therefore set the prices really high. Then, when they don’t sell, the can legitimately( 😕 )shout about their MASSIVE SAVINGS!( 😕 ) over the retail price.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Some of the ugliest full sussers around too

wwaswas

Are Evans listing/importing higher spec bikes than last years ones?

Most major manufacturer list a couple of ‘money no object’ bikes in each cataegory – if nothing else they can show pictures of sponsored riders on a bike they actually list as available to buy.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Are Evans listing/importing higher spec bikes than last years ones?

Most major manufacturer list a couple of ‘money no object’ bikes in each cataegory – if nothing else they can show pictures of sponsored riders on a bike they actually list as available to buy.

couldn’t have put it better myself.

I’d suspect the £8K bikes account for about 0.1% of their turnover…..

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Here’s the spec:
    Frame:APS (Advanced Pivot System) carbon frame
    Rear Shock:DT Swiss XM 180 rear shock, 100mm
    Fork:DT Swiss XRC 100mm carbon race fork
    Front Derailleur:SRAM XX
    Rear Derailleur:SRAM XX
    Number of Gears:20
    Shifters:SRAM XX
    Chainset:SRAM XX
    Chainrings:39-26 tooth
    Bottom Bracket:BSA 1.37×24 / 73mm BB width
    Cassette:SRAM XX, 11-36
    Pedals:Not Supplied
    Front Brake:SRAM XX, 160mm Rotor
    Rear Brake:SRAM XX, 160mm Rotor
    Handlebars:Easton, EC70, flat 685mm
    Stem:Easton, EA90
    Rims:DT Swiss XRC 1350
    Front Hub:DT Swiss XRC 1350
    Rear Hub:DT Swiss XRC 1350
    Front Tyre:Continental, Race King 2.2 Supersonic
    Rear Tyre:Continental, Race King 2.2 Supersonic
    Saddle:Fizik Tundra 2 Braided
    Seatpost:BMC Race Post

How much do you reckon all those component would cost? so what does that leave the frame to cost?
    Genuinely asking – sounds like a lot of money but that spec does strike me as being a very high cost! (all be it not quite that much!)

DT78
    Free Member

Compare that to a similar spec’d canyon. You could buy 2

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is it because of the high value of the Swiss franc compared to the pound

I bet the bikes have benn nowhere near Switzerland……

Taiwan Factory > UK importers > Evans Cycles > Customer.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

How much do you reckon all those component would cost?

That’s almost irrelevant as the factory would get economies of scale.

No but if the company is based in switzerland Evans will have to pay them swiss francs irrespective of where the actual stock is.

phil.w
    Free Member

BMC moved their carbon frame production to Switzerland a few years ago. Or was that just for the road frames?

iDave
    Free Member

Swiss Franc is back to about 1.40 where it belongs thankfuckly

But everything exported from there is pricey.

mcboo
    Free Member

Here is the equivalent Canyon – the Lux MR 9 Ltd (£4400 delivered). Ive got the Cheaper Lux MR 9, cost £2800 for full XTR.

Frame Canyon New F10 Technology
    Rear Shock DT Swiss XM 175
    Fork DT Swiss XRM 100 Carbon Crown
    Headset FSA Orbit ZS-5
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR Shadow
    Front Derailleur Shimano XTR 2×10
    Shifters Shimano XTR
    Brake levers Shimano XTR
    Brakes Shimano XTR
    Hubs DT Swiss XRC 1250 Titanium
    Cassette Shimano XTR 11-36 10-speed
    Rims DT Swiss XRC 1250 Carbon
    Tyres Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2,1″ Evolution Line
    Cranks Shimano XTR FC-M 985
    Chainrings 42/30
    Bottom Bracket Shimano XTR
    Stem Syntace F109 (31,8)
    Handlebar Syntace Duraflite Carbon / Race SL Barends
    Grips Canyon Bracelets
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
    Seat post Ritchey Superlogic Carbon 1-Bolt
    Pedals none included
    Frame sizes S, M, L, XL
    Colour team

Weight 9,20

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2068

BMC are having a laugh the size of Texas.

neninja
    Free Member

That does seem a bit steep, especially as Evans are selling a full XX groupset including brakes for under £1k.

So about £3000 for the running gear which leaves a £5700 frame.

DezB
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member
    Some of the ugliest full sussers around too

Too right. That Trailfox in gold looks like a supermarket special. Vile.

njee20
    Free Member

If you don’t want to pay that, here’s an idea… don’t?

What Canyon sell bikes for is fairly irrelevant, as said, if the BMCs are overpriced they won’t sell.

Specialized are charging £12000 for the McLaren Venge, double the ‘standard’ S-Works Venge, for 100g weight saving. Worth it? To some.

trailflow
    Free Member

Well Canyon are a competitor so its perfectly relevant.

wwaswas

Canyon are a competitor

I think BMC might not see it that way 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think Dave Weagle was complaining that BMC are infringing the DW-Link patent – you would think for that money they would stump up and pay for the rights to use it…

mcboo
    Free Member

Last mtb bike I bought was a Canyon, before that, On-One. Mail order works just fine.

darrell
    Free Member

Swiss Franc is back to about 1.40 where it belongs thankfuckly

But everything exported from there is pricey.

when i lived in Zurich (not that long ago) the exchange rate was 2.20

and the current BMC range look exactly like the older bikes. I see no major change other than moving to Carbon (a few years ago) from Scandium

but there are many better value for money bikes. But they are surprisingly popular in Switzerland

Treyster
    Free Member

I tweeted Evans out of interest more than anything and got the response that “…looked into it, wrong prices have been published, sorry about that, right prices should be up this Friday!”

If they can shave a couple of grand off, then BMC bikes become competitive!

My original point is that the prices where way over the market odds for what is now a very common commodity. The technology behind bikes is now common place and there aren’t any real game changing advancements in design, small changes to tech’ but nothing really new. The prices that are charged factor in marketing, pro athlete sponsorship and material costs. Over above this is just a massive rip off factor. If Spesh charge £7500 for their top tier bike then it is hard to justify a BMC at £1300 more, regardless of spec, as the price is way more than the sum of the bikes parts

dannyburrows
    Free Member

the rip-offs come at both ends of the price scale- a lot of people who buy bikes from places like evans are not serious cyclists by any definition that i understand. in the 1990’s i used to know and see a lot of lads who “played” with bikes and over the last 10 years a lot who maybe had a phase,or rode to work for a while then stopped- rather than lads who trained or raced or rode sportives etc. a lot of them won’t realise how over priced off the peg bkes are- bianchi, giant etc being prime examples. used to see bianchi’s priced around 1200 that should have been 900 ABSOLUTE tops. A current example is the 2011 bmc streetracer sr01 & 02- IDENTICAL bikes ( and i mean IDENTICAL- same frame, fork, wheels, bars, stem, saddle. tyres) the difference being one is 105 and the other ultegra- one is 1k- the other is 1400- how therefore do you slap an extra 400 quid on for an ultegra upgrade?? the difference inprice between the two groups is nowhere near 400 quid.

Toasty

Why compare the top end £6000 models in a convo about “real world pricing”? It’s like comparing super cars for boot space, who’s to say more cash has gone into one top end carbon frame than the other.

How about this one?

Mid-low full susser

Better value than the equiv 2012 Camber Comp, or Cannondale Rize One-20 3.

While we’re on the topic of Specialized’s fantastic value frames.

Cheap aluminium hardtail frame, bottom end forks, Alivio bits … £1000

They’ve only lowered prices by lowering spec on EVERYTHING* and deleting their only good value bike remaining, the Pitch, entirely from the range. Want a light AM/trail bike, apparently the £2700 Specialized EVO is the replacement it was clashing with. The 2009 Pitch was £1000, that’s some meaty inflation there, still running SRAM X7 bits though I see.

*no joke, check out the TOP Rockhopper – 30mm forks and Alivio – it’s cheaper, because it’s turd compared to the 2011!

Toasty

Oh and to the original question. The top Carbon Epic has £500 Specialized own brand wheels, compared to the £1500 carbon wheelset on the BMC. If you don’t want £1500 wheels, don’t buy that model.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘2012 BMC Bikes – Eye watering prices!’ is closed to new replies.