Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2011 Fox 36 TALAS R problem
  • justinbieber

Riding Dollywagon Pike today I noticed my (new to me) Fox 36 TALAS R forks were topping out quite heavily. It would appear that the rebound is knackered. It’s not totally gone, but on repeated hits it disappears and the fork comes back undamped.

Is it a simple fix that I can do myself (topping up the oil?), or do they need to go off for a full service.

Apparently they had a lower leg service just before I got them, and other than the rebound issue they seem fine.

justinbieber

Anyone?

bigdean

Lower/ seal service is v.easy. Have seen a guide go striping fhe damer somewhere aswell.
    google is your friend

Pridds

Vince are they FIT damper ones or open bath?

Pridds

Forget that mate, might be worth doing a lower service and make sure they have the right amount (and type) of oil in them as the Talas R’s are all open bath and take alot more oil than the FIT ones. How much oil is on this chart and your forks are number 65
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm

chungabunga
    Free Member

I had some (older) new to 36 Talas forks that displayed the same symptoms, releasing the air and cycling the forks a few (10) times with the wheel out and foot on the axle sorted the issue.

Good luck

justinbieber

Is a lower leg service easy to do?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You didn’t transport the bike upside down, did you? Oil can travel to places it doesn’t need to be if so.

But, lower leg service is really easy, and you’d better get used to doing it if you want to keep your forks tiptop anyway.

justinbieber

I did transport the bike upside down – is that a terrible thing to do?

Pridds

Lower leg service is pretty easy to do, just need a few bits, oil and some tools. If your anywhere near Grasmere in the next few days would be happy to go through it and pass on Stu’s wisdom.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like something an oil change would fix although worth trying.

I’ve got a spare 36 R cartridge from when I converted mine to FIT which you can have if you don’t get it sorted.

chungabunga
    Free Member

lower leg service is cheap and pretty easy, plenty of good docs/vids.

If the fork may have oil is in the wrong places cycling the fork completely a few times for free and with no down side I can think of. worked for me – i’d recommend it in the first instance.

Mine were topping out harshly prior.

justinbieber

I’ve just taken all the air out and cycled the forks a few times. Seems to have sorted the problem and the rebound is now working again. Will check later to see if it’s holding out

justinbieber

Cheers for that Stu – we’ll see how I get on with them for now. I take it it’s pretty straightforward (for someone else) to upgrade the cartridge then?

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Not 100% sure as I’ve never done it but I think its just a case of unscrewing the cartridge from the bottom and then top of the leg, pulling it out and then swapping them over.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2011 Fox 36 TALAS R problem’ is closed to new replies.