Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 2011- A Year In Mountains
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

This is the 2011 follow up to this thread from last year-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2010-a-year-in-mountains

This year time has conspired against me a bit and I’ve not done as many mountains or races as I should have, but you have to take what you can. There’s been some real crackers this year, trails I can really recommend. If you have the time, big mountain riding is well worth the effort you have to put into it. You remember each mountain a lot better than you do a trail centre.

The Quirang

The Quirang is a long way from anywhere, and a short ride, but one that is brilliant from start to finish. An easy climb leads into a traverse with a drop to the right that really enlivens the whole experience. The trail then cuts right at breakneck speed before launching into a technical chute. Skye is a magical place and everything there feels special.

The Old Man of Storr

Short up, short down but an hour (if that) of some of the most exciting riding, and highest winds, you’ll ever experience.

The Jock Road

Pound for pound, the most fun you can have on a trail with your clothes on (or not…). The trail starts off as a bit of a bog at the top then turns into a twisty technical trail with some rock drops that require real focus. Once the hard work is done the trail tracks the contours down, gently twisting it’s way to Glen Doll. Smooth and fast and easy to get to, I’ve ridden this trail 3 times this year- sometimes straight up and down, sometimes in a loop- and loved it every time.

Ben Nevis- North Face

This was a mistake- up the tourist trail then around to the North face trail. The North Face trail is OK, a bit tame and the water bars are daft. Someone really needs to have a word with whoever is in charge of trail design in the Highlands. The trail round is unrideable though- this is the price you pay for riding the mountains. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. The tourist path, while at the top is a bit dull, is still the best as it’s head ache inducingly technical.

The Pelvis Breaker

I wasn’t on this ride but just look at this trail! Spineology always makes for interesting riding and you do have to pick your days carefully for the weather, but it always makes for an experience.

Carn Bhan Mor

We can’t get enough of this mountain- I think we’ve ridden it as a group at least 5 times now. With familiarity comes carelessness however and this time we had our first big spill on this trail. The wind was very high- high enough to swing the back of the bike around as you pushed up- and we turned back early. After only a couple of hundred metres the wind blew me off line into a big rock. I was over the bars so quick I had no time to put my hands out and used my face as a brake. Managed to ride the rest of the trail, though- adrenaline is great stuff!

Skiddaw

Yes, we know it’s a footpath. We went down the spine on the Keswick side and from below the ascent to the summit looks unrideable- it’s very steep and took a fair bit of climbing. Fortunately it’s just scree and so going down it is easy enough and it’s the bits that follow that test your brain. Beautiful late autumn sunshine with a touch of ground frost meant a day of stunning trails with stunning views.

Helvellyn

I wasn’t there for this one but I’ve done it in the past. It’s a long climb, and you lose some height along the edge which is a pain but the descent down Dollywagon is seriously tough and then the trail down Grisedale is flowy, fast and techy all at once.

As ever, I can’t thank my friends that I ride with enough for coming along this year. Mostly Huw who pours over maps in the small hours sniffing out rideable mountains. He’s done far more big trails than are listed here.

Once again Spokes Cycles, The Bike Shop Hexham and The Bike Chain in Edinburgh have been nothing but helpful in their support of us all with deals and so on.

Hopefully 2012 will be a return to form and there’ll be a big adventure a month.

mikey3
    Free Member

Great post!!!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I seem to remember saying ‘I need to ride more big mountains next year’ at the end of your post last year. I’ve not done any this year. Must try harder…

munrobiker
    Free Member

It just hasn’t happened has it? We’ve already got Torridon to look forward to in April. I’m excited for that one, and I’m much closer to the Lakes now. I owe High Street a visit I think. And we really need to do Cadair Idris in Snowdonia too.

will
    Free Member

Great thread! Looks to be some seriously good rides!

jhw
    Free Member

very excellent, thanks

dflynn
    Free Member

great stuff!

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Brilliant post, STW needs more posts like this.
    Like others I keep meaning to ride more big mountains but lack of time seems to be the usual excuse. And I can see the lake district from the house so I shouldn’t have any excuse!

globalti
    Free Member

Congrats, that’s proper MOUNTAIN biking, not pissing around in trail centres.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Brilliant post, STW needs more posts like this.

+1 ( and some)

hambl90
    Free Member

Great thread , wish I could do some of those.

nasher
    Free Member

That one on the ridge, spineology…wow!!!

where is it?

P20

Great thread. You’re right about Skye, a truly magical place

munrobiker
    Free Member

The thing is, you’ve all got time somewhere. If you live anywhere North of Birmingham it’s possible to take a long weekend, do a ride in the Lakes, drive up and ride Ben Lomond then drive up to the Cairngorms. You’ve got Wales nearby too.

And I’ve got a lot of time for trail centres- they do have a place and are fun, and are often the best option if the weather’s too wild to go up high.

I guarantee if you do one, you’ll “find” time to do more! Beinn A’Ghlo we did on an afternoon skived off work, same with the Jock Road.

billysugger
    Free Member

Thanks for a reason to look at this silly site

jameso

Brilliant post, thanks. ‘proper mountain biking’!

This and the big mtns thread .. I got back from an all-day and return in the dark southern singletrack ride at about 8pm. Thought it was pretty good for a local loop. Now I just want to live in Scotland.. : )

cardo

Enjoyed that… that bump to your face looked a bit sore tho’

ChrisE
    Free Member

Proper mountain biking. None of this ‘show me your pink turner bike’ crap or ‘what tyres for hanging round the local park’ rubbish.

Well done

C

scary_carey
    Free Member

Brilliant post….. so brilliant in fact that its just convinced me to brave the elements and get out on my bike! Good work fella 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Great post. Couldn’t agree more about big mountain biking being the most rewarding. Combines the physical satisfaction of getting 30lbs of metal up a hill, the pleasure of being in the mountains, and the buzz from long technical descents.

I’m fortunate living in Scotland so pretty easy to get to the best hills. I’ve done 18 Munros this year, and would have been more if the weather had been kinder. Targeting 25 next year

Ewan
    Free Member

munrobiker – any chance you’ll drop me a mail with the location of spineolgy? (ewan @ ewanpanter dot co dot uk)

Cheers!

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah munrobiker come on here with your fancy pictures and leave us just hanging, it would be great if you could spill the beans, the last few years i have been collecting big mountain bike rides like rare butterflys, spineology looks pretty damn interesting, my precious me wants it.

chickenman

Is that not the Devil’s Ridge on the Mamores perchance??

druidh
    Free Member

Mark and I were talking about this thread today. I didn’t get any big mountains done this year, but have plans for 2012 already.

It’s “Jocks Road” btw 🙂

chickenman

Infact the narrow path that contours Sgurr a’ Mhaim (down right in pic) is the feature of a walking article in the Scottish Mountaineer comic that’s just come out; anyone ridden that?
    The ridge looks completly mental BTW!

fergal
    Free Member

The Devils ridge!?? cripes Watson are you sure!…. it seems the Mamores are the hills that keep on giving.

edit. if you look closely there are some fellows on the scrambly bit, i vaguely remember a short exposed section, but it was such a long time ago, i wonder how much of this descent you can ride.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

munrobiker has been specifically told NOT to reveal the location of the spine by the persons who rode it. and i’m not going to tell you either 😉

fergal
    Free Member

Well it looks like the cat is out of the bag…. 😀

flockofffish
    Free Member

I know when i did the The Quirang on skye this year it was shit, what with all the walkers etc.
    Flock

fergal
    Free Member

I’m terrible at keeping secrets, but will be quite now.

_tom_
    Free Member

Great thread 🙂 Not really my kind of riding (bit techy for me) but it’s great to see pics of proper mountain biking.

james
    Free Member

quite terrible at keeping secrets?

Go on tell us. At least for those of us stupid enough not to have got it already, which country is it in?

I think I managed one mountain this year, though plus some much more mountainous terrain than usual. Still need to ride a LOT more proper stuff after seeing this thread (and the linked 2010 one, and sanny’s one and .. )

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nice post. However, if I ever went to Skye to ride my bike, I’d come home hugely disappointed, sorry. It’s a very long way to go and just cycle a bike along some tracks when there’s stuff like this

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

More like this. Inspring stuff.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Very inspiring stuff, some great photo’s too. Jealous much? Yes!

matt_outandabout

Looks like an ace year Luke 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

How did you like the Ptarmigan descent off Ben Lomond which you rode last year?

I too did a lot of bigger stuff this year which has really given me the bug – Braeriach – big day out – will do all the munros next time and avoid the snow and ice field at the head of Glen Einich which gave me the willies), Ben Lawyers – just wonderful, Beinn a Ghlo 3 – a lot of carrying but stunning scenery and descents, Beinn Dearg and Carn a Chlamain – the descent off the latter on the stalkers path is a peach, Lochnagar – 5 summits in a day with a sublime descent to Loch Muick as the Brucey bonus etc etc

For the Spring, I’ve penciled in the Ring of Steall, all the munros round Glen Shee, Glas Tulachan as a 3 summit loop, Dreish and Mayar if only to ride the Kilbo path again and see the summits free of cloud this time round, the South Glen Shiel Ridge, Ben Lui, the Munros at the northern tip of Glencoe, Ben Vorlich again with Stuc a Chroin for added interest, Bynack Mor pooping over onto Cairngorm, Ben Cruachan, Ben Wyvis, the other Beinn Dearg – and that’s just for starters!

Loving the thread and great pics btw. Give me a shout if you fancy joining a copuple of us for more damn fool adventures by bike!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sanny- the Ptarmigan descent was good. More flow than the other way, but less technical. Some real challenging bits too. Both are as good as each other but different.

Not sure what the plan is for next year. I live down in England now, and I’m now gainfully employed but carless. Certainly 1 a month though. I think Wales is calling.

Somehow Lochnagar has evaded me. The 5 munro deal is DEFINITELY on the to do list- Huw did it and said it was one of the best rides he’s ever done.

If you’re disappointed by the bike trails on Skye, you’re in the wrong place I think. the Quirang only had one lot of walkers on it when we were there (March) and we knew them anyway. Obviously there’s the bonus in Scotland of bikes being allowed everywhere.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘2011- A Year In Mountains’ is closed to new replies.