Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2011 5spot, first impressions.
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In the crappy camera phone pic is my mostly new 5spot.

Its a large 2011 with 150 Revs, a 1×9 transmission, Stans/Hope wheels, Formula brakes and Thomson finishing kit. It weighs 27.6lbs. I’m coming from a ’05 Horst link 5spot.

I’ve only managed about 30 miles on it so far, a couple of tootles in my local woods, once of which was a shakedown, and a 15/16 miler covering old railway line, steep rooty and rocky ups, contouring flowy singletrack with some rocks and ‘Body English’ required, fast loose rocky descents with a few minor drops and tight, rooty, rocky singletrack – In short, riding.

Caveats: I’ve read that with the large air can RP23, the larger gentleman (i.e. me) can find it a tad too progressive, so I opted to put a low volume air can on from the outset.

The first thing I noticed was that getting on, it felt like a 5spot – I’ve not had to adjust my riding style one bit. It also felt shorter (and measured shorter). Initially, its been a little more fussy to set up than the HL version. I’ve read this before too, and it seems to be true. I also found that with the low volume air can at the correct sag, I couldn’t get more than 2/3rdof the travel from the shock in situations where I could reasonable expect to bottom it out, or get close. Putting the HV can back on solved that in one easy step and doesn’t seem to have brought with it any downsides.

Standover clearance is excellent, frame rigidity is on the stiff side, resulting in an accurate and responsive machine. Finishing on mine is, I think, a bit higher than the ’05 its replaced.

The biggest difference is of course the DW suspension, which IMO seems to do what it says on the tin. The anti-squat is definitely a bonus. The bike is less sluggish accelerating, and generally perkier feeling than the old one, despite having 15mm more travel. Where it really helps is climbing – Lets be clear – this bike is not intended as a whippet, and doesn’t climb like one, you can see pedal bob, but its minor and its something I’m not over bothered about if its manageable. It definitely sits higher in its travel and seems to do this more-so as the terrain steepens – in this regard, it functions just like pro-pedal in that it helps the bike to stand up in its travel, but it does so dynamically through the suspension kinematics rather than compression damping, and thus doesn’t suffer from ‘constipated shock’ syndrome. Since its not constipated, one gets the full benefit of its fully active 140mm traction and that makes it a very tenacious climber. I think if you’ve got the legs, you’ll be getting up things you haven’t before. I’m certain this will be the case with me, since I’ve done one climb thats always defeated me already.

IMO its particularly suited to the sort of brutal, short, sternum on stem, uber-steep technical climbs, that you’re never sure you’ll make, but you’ll give it a go anyway.

Unlike poor Renton in another thread, the back end is buttery smooth and all my pivots are evolving grease during riding, so nothings tight, or blocked, or mis-aligned or loose.

Its a very competent, balanced and composed ride. It doesn’t flap, it doesn’t twitch (I do that bit!) and it doesn’t really see-saw like some bikes do either. I was concerned that the slacker head angle might make it a little too barge-like and slow for this old trail hacker, but thats proved not to be the case.

In all, its just like a good trail bike should be – good at everything, but no clear excelling features, other than it doesn’t seem to have any weak points. Its a bike for riding, and a hugely versatile one at that.

I can’t honestly think of any major issues with it, other than its slightly portly frame, but the weight is so low on the bike it doesn’t seem to be noticeable.

Anyway, if I can be arsed, I might post some better pics at some point.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cripes, I wittered a bit there.

Short answer – Its pretty good.

Vortexracing

Looks nice and welcome to the club

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    khani
    Free Member

Very nice 😀 old one retired now then?

snaps
    Free Member

Glad to hear this after the recent posts of Renton & Hora.
    I’m building this up with similar parts, 150mm Revs, Pro2s on Stans crests, 3×9 XT/XTR mix, its an XL but I’m hoping it’ll be under 29lbs.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Khani, the old one didn’t survive this unfortunately:

There was more damage to me, and the bike.

Snaps – you should know by now – never to listen to anything that Hora says. Well, other than for comedic value!

I’ve got Archs on mine – I’m not convinced I could trust crests on a bike as capable as this.

I’m most pleased with the DW side of things. Its the bike I was trying to make the HL be TBH. Its removed that ‘drive delay’ where the HL would squat and then go, a bit like the delay in the automatic transmission of a motor.

khani
    Free Member

Ouch! If the c/stays survived I’ll buy em back if poss, my raw ones are on the way out now

snaps
    Free Member

Yes most posts by Hora are ‘Saxa’ (taken with a pinch of salt)
    I’ve got some 819/Pro2’s if the Crests prove to fragile & some Lyriks if I decide to take it to the Alps next year.
    How much clearance do you have between the crank/swingarm?
    I had M970’s on first but changed to the M770’s as the gap was only 3mm 😯

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Chainstays were the worst hit. Right in the middle on the NDS. Bent the stay and cracked the weld at the machined wishbone.

🙁

renton
    Free Member

Im hoping mine will be just like this once sorted !!!! ive let some air out of the shock on mine to try and make the suspension more active to loosen the bushes up a bit, seems to be working a bit …I think.

I agree about the suspension though, ive come off 4 spesh horst link bikes which I liked but found a bit bland??

my 5 spot is shorter in the top tube than my last bike but I like it as im sat more upright.

when i get on the 5 spot you can see the suspension drop into its travel and reach apoing and just sit there, I gues when i eventually get it off rode it will track the terrain really well.

Oh and Im reet jealous at the moment !!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Snaps – More than that. I measured mine after Rentons thread – I have 10mm each side with the penultimate generation XT cranks. Bear in mind they’re supposed to have improved the clearance on the 2011 though, so Saxa says. I’ve not had the time to trawl mtbr to find the reference, and fortunately its not an issue with mine.

EDIT – Sorry Renton, not meant to rub your nose in it. I’ve noticed the shorter cockpit too, but the way the suspension works, it doesn’t seem to be a problem for climbing, plus you get a bit more agility.

renton
    Free Member

Snaps, ive got the xtr960’s fitted and the gap is around 3-4mm on that too.

tried a mates slx chainset earlier and it opens up a bit, so now looking for a slx chainset !!

then just need to get the lower link sorted and im away.

was considering selling it already as its took the shine off owning such a nice bike but i think i will perservere with it.

its definatley a grower !!

renton
    Free Member

scienceoficer…. no probs at all!!

khani
    Free Member

Bummer 😥 but never mind, 1 down, 1 to go 😀
    Enjoy yours, that looks gert lush 8)

snaps
    Free Member

Those M770’s in my first picture gives about 9mm gap & there are plenty on MTBR with them so I’ll go with them.
    Renton – I’m going to fit the M970’s to my hardtail & will be selling the SLX’s on it if you’re interested, they’ve only done a few dry rides this summer – email in profile.

renton
    Free Member

snaps im stuck at work how much mate ?? let me know tonight and i can prob paypal now.

hora
    Free Member

Err. Ok. I thought the 2011 was supposed to be lower/slacker than the 2010?

OP- noticed how the bike/bars loves to be muscled through techy stuff?

hora
    Free Member

Err. Ok. I thought the 2011 was supposed to be lower/slacker than the 2010?

OP- noticed how the bike/bars loves to be muscled through techy stuff?

Snaps Interms of crank clearance- I took off my driveside & non-driveside spacers last night and there is loads more clearance than that!

Get the stays covered to avoid heel-rub.

djglover
    Free Member

Bloke in buys an expensive bike and likes it shocker..

has anyone bought an expensive bike and gone, this is shit this.

hora
    Free Member

Yes many have. What’s your point caller, or is this a hoax call?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2011 5spot, first impressions.’ is closed to new replies.