Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2010 Revelation U-Turn Issue
  • orangewinger
    Free Member

I’ve just received some forks I bought off ebay and I noticed that the left hand wiper seal is sat up slightly, so I start to google and I see that it looks like these might have the blown seal issue that causes negative air to pop the wiper seal out.

They were advertised as fully working but I wonder if I’ve bought something that isn’t quite as advertised. Before I look to sending them back does anyone know if there’s a quick fix for this or whether I should just send them back?

LoCo
    Free Member

probably an air seal blown in uturn system (the 2010 uturn is a pain) and caused wiper to blow out, so service would be a good idea.

sandwicheater

Slight hi-jac, sorry. LoCo, what do you charge for a service kit on 2012 Rev dual airs? Was on your site but no info on that page.

iffoverload
    Free Member

a coil conversion is an alternative as well

orangewinger
    Free Member

Is replacing the seals with a standard seal kit likely to sort this out?

orangewinger
    Free Member

Just got home and put air in them and cycled the travel a few times and the negative air disappears so I assume that’s a failed seal then.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Send them back, unless you budgeted having to spend £80 for a service when you bought them.

Northwind

I’d fix ’em and keep ’em personally, best travel adjustable fork ever made (that isn’t a coil Lyrik). A 2010 fork’s always likely to need servicing now. I’d chase the seller for money too, mind.

LoCo
    Free Member

There’s a reason they only used the 150mm uturn air system for one year… 😉

Sandwicheater, £80 Revelation covers all models from 2005.

Northwind

Honestly, I know it’s not quite as reliable as the version before (I’ve had a set since 2010, they’ve needed more attention than I’d like- which is why I just bought a sektor coil off you now that I don’t use the uturn 😉 ) but it went out of production for the same reason most of the other uturns did, fashion. Now it’s all this 2-position bollocks and machining/replacing parts to change fixed lengths, steps back imo.

Oh but while you’re on the the thread though, do you mind me asking a question? See this red sektor coil? It’s got black wraps on, unlike all the other red coils I’ve had which have been… dur… red. Which either means a) it’s the wrong coil or b) actually for some reason medium sektor coils have black wraps on. WHich probably means the other coil I have is also a medium. I think it’s probably B, which is a pain in the arse! But if it is, how do you easily tell what spring rate these are as a punter?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Interesting…I’ve a set of 2010 Revelation U-Turns and this has happened to me a couple of times – both whilst riding in the centre of London when the seal popped out, accompanied by a loud *BANG!* noise. It’s never happened whilst just riding along.

Otherwise, I absolutely love these forks.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Mine have done it once, had the seals changed under warranty and been fine ever since. It’s the best fork I own.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dual air u-turns with the magic migrating air?
    Managed to do the seal popping when I serviced a set took ages to work out which one of the seals was wrong. They still never worked properly though and were flexi as hell.

LoCo
    Free Member

@northwind, a coil spring from us will usually have had heat shrink put on it to keep noise down from rattling on inside of the leg, have to be a bit careful where you put it so doesn’t foul DP or uturn system though.
    Spring rate is based on colour of the paint on the coils.
    Main issue with the 150mm uturn air system is if the tube air tube is damaged it’s a bit pricey to fix as the helix is swaged into the top of the tube and there are quite a few seals that can cause issues if the system is playing up so a pain/exspensive to fix sometimes

Northwind

Cheers for that- my other springs have been more obviously colourcoordinated, I guess there’s paint marks on them somewhere which I’ve not spotted.

The damaged air tube’s exactly what happened to mine, I was expecting it to be a simple new seals so was a wee bit surprised when i got the bill 😆 But still worth it.

orangewinger
    Free Member

Bought a new seal kit and when taking them apart I noticed the circlip had come off the choke and the brass part fell out.

I managed to take apart the choke unit refit the circlip and seals and then using the uturn head pull the choke part back into the tube. It’s a bit loose now but I can’t see it having much impact as it isn’t a seal.

Replaced all the seals and re-assembled the forks and they now appear to be holding air. The telling will be when I fit them to the bike and ride them.

Worst case scenario is I’ll be sticking a coil in there, thanks all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2010 Revelation U-Turn Issue’ is closed to new replies.