Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2010+ Giant Defy Sizing
  • Jamie
    Free Member

One of these has popped onto my radar in my search for a entry level road bike. I notice they have different sizing practice to most makes and wondered what people are riding.

I am thinking I could get away with a M at 5’7 / 32″ inside leg, and planning on trying one out before the weekend, but figured I would ask the hive mind first 8)

Only prob might be I am the wrong proportioned 5’7 to fit on the chart Giant have, as I have long legs rather than long torso.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/technology/compactroad/45/

Coleman
    Free Member

Although Giant road frames look small due to the compact geometry they actually size up on the large side. The medium frame is longer in the top tube than both the Specialized frames you were considering last week.
    I’m 5’11” and have both a med. and med/large Giant, but prefer to ride the medium even though they recommend the med/large for my height.
    With an inside leg of 32″ the medium will be fine, but if you have a short torso, then the 555mm top tube may well feel a bit stretched.
    Best advice would be to try and have a sit on one if possible.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and owned a TCR Alliance in medium and own a TCR composite in Small. The medium was OK but the small is way better fitting and a lot more comfortable.

Still best to try before you buy tho…

Jamie
    Free Member

Well headed down to the Giant Store in Rutland today and after trying a small and a medium they advised a medium. Had a short ride on a M Defy Advanced and seemed ok. The small seemed a bit squished and with the bars just tipped back slightly the medium seemed ok.

I guess I will grow into the position as well, as still feels weird after the hardtail.

@Coleman

The M Defy has a 450mm T/T according to this, which is the same as the Spesh Allez, as seen here, surely?

I’m 5’8″ and owned a TCR Alliance in medium and own a TCR composite in Small. The medium was OK but the small is way better fitting and a lot more comfortable.

I think the Defy is a bit more upright, longer headtube (16.5cm vs 15cm of the TCR), so the medium Defy should feel a little more compact than the TCRs.

….I think 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

Im 5’8″ with 32″ leg and ride a small defy i prefer the position and feel v comfy on 50+ mile rides. Horses for courses etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

Horses for courses etc.

My problem is I do not know what to expect/look for. So am currently changing my mind every five seconds depending on who I am talking to/reading.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and ride a M 2010 Defy 2 which fits perfectly 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

Sorry Jamie, I took the figures from the link in your original post. On closer inspection I realise these are the TCR specs and the Defy’s are 10mm shorter in top tube length and 15mm taller in head tube. So yes, quite similar to the Spesh. although they are supposed to be more upright, shorter reach and more relaxed geometry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2010+ Giant Defy Sizing’ is closed to new replies.