Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 2008/2009 Speacialized Enduro Expert SL – A good buy?
  • jeffskowski
    Free Member

Any niggles I should be aware of?
    Anything to check when viewing/test riding?
    Guide price for a good one?

I bow to the font of knowledge that is STW as I know pretty much zero about full sus bikes 😳

Cheers! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Heres my old one (frame only though)

Not bad- A bit high feeling.

Dango
    Free Member

the forks they come with are pap, upgrade to 36’s/Lyrics etc

if you can afford the >2010 version, it rides a lot better

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here goes…

The E150 fork is a contentious one. If regularly serviced, and well looked after, it’s an absolute beast of a fork, especially in terms of steering accuracy and big bumps. Not the best fork for small bumps by any stretch of the imagination, though. Big volume front tyres are your friend. The travel adjust function is excellent, and very useful to stop the front end waggling a bit on longer, smooth clibms. The fork also limits your wheel choice a little, due to the mahoooooosive front hub (Part of the excellent steering as before!) Spesh and I9 hubs/wheels are pretty widely available.

Beyond the fork, a great all rounder. Lightish, and certainly enough for all day rides, and very capable in most situations. OK, so it’s not a race winning bike, but for all day rides, and trail centre looning around, it’s a very good one.

Depending on what’s been done it before, a few things to add;
    Wider bars – The stock ones are gash
    Big tyres – I run a 2.4 front and 2.2 rear RQ Black Chilli. Really suits the style of the bike, IMO.
    Dropper post – Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. But, for the sort of riding an Enduro is designed for, it’s pretty much spot on! Run a Reverb on mine, and only downside is the lack of cable guides to make it super pretty. Luckily, my tame spannermonkeys did a great job of setting it up.

Value? Hmm. Depends on spec/care/love etc.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

lol! I should have asked you directly Hora. I am fairly new here but have heard you have had a frame or two 😉

What are your dimensions and what size frame did you have? I am right on the cusp of Medium and Large

Dango – I think the 2008 came with a double crown fork? but the 2009 model came with single crown Fox? Which ones are pap or are they both below par?

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Thanks Captain. Great info.

The bikes I am looking at are stock bar the saddle and bars.

Dango
    Free Member

the duel crowns imo were rubbish

good review of all models http://mpora.com/videos/Uz4mZbamS

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve only had a couple of brief rides on them, but I was surprised at how tight the bike felt – the example had no excess movement in the suspension at all. I never really got to give it some stick off road, but it felt like the type of bike you could ride all day, but would reward on the descents.

The bloke who’s bike I tried had a 2005 SX on Fox 36s and said that the Enduro didn’t give anything away to the SX on the descents, which surprised me. I do still see a few around, but rarely with the stock Spesh forks and shock, they all seem to have Fox 32/RS Revelations and RP23s.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Great stuff. Cheers chaps.

Budget is a consideration and as a rider, currently I am average at best so probably wont be riding the bike to anywhere nears it’s limits but I will steer clear of the dual crown offerings unless the bikes a good price and I can upgrade.

Dango
    Free Member

I’ve owned all types and the 08/09 was probably not the best ride, I think the 05-07 was better

alcolepone
    Free Member

I’ve had the 2008 from new, the forks after a warranty replacement have been great since then, I’ve only have serviced them once. same with rear shock. the front axle at 25mm is annoying, but only been a issue once. its a great bike and does everything i ask it to, from aggressive downhill including drops and jumps, to all day rides in the peaks.

warns74
    Free Member

Agree with everything “captainflashheart” said above.

Been riding an ’08 SL Pro Carbon for 5 years and for most of that time was my only bike, does everything from easy trails to the Alps. Never had any issues with the fork, the second generation E150s if serviced and looked after are superb. Specialized service is second to none in my experience and still able to get spares without any hassle.

Would also add that at the time (2008), 4 of my mates also bought Enduros and none of them have ever really had any issues with them.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Awesome. I guess it just comes down to getting one that has been looked after.
    It seems that a lot of it is subjective also so thanks for all the opinions and shared experience.

Dango
    Free Member

I’m a heavier rider and that might have had something to do with the forks?

Probably better for lighter riders

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Probably better for lighter riders

Very much the opposite, IMHO!

The extra stiffness suits heavier/stronger riders, and also there’s less of an issue on the small bump sensitivity if you‘re a solidly built chap who likes his beer and steak like me aren’t as light on your feet. (As it were!)

rascal
    Free Member
    warns74
    Free Member

Have to agree with captainflash…again!

Im 6’4″, 15 stone (+ kit) and ride an XL frame. No issues whatsoever.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

hmmm…. rascal – Where is your mate located? 🙂

renton
    Free Member

The one in Rascals link above is the older heavier model compared to the 2008/09 model.

personaly I dont think its worht the price either as you can pick up a nice 08/09 for that price now.

Ive had a 06 and an 09 model and for me the 09 was better in every way.
    Lighter/tighter, better to pedal and ride all day long

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Cheers renton. Was just interested in giving it a blast if he was close 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Jeff – Sunny Leicester…any good to you?

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Afraid not matey. I’m in Surrey.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Ive had mine in many guises, stock through to this: –

In its heavier / current form its a great playbike, with effort it climbs ok and totally rips going down. In the stock form its very capable but let down by an inferior fork and shock. I highly rate the frame as a platform to build on.

Dain_Bramaged
    Free Member

2007 SL with original E150 forks and AFR shock, and I love mine. I swap the shock for a fox coil for ‘bigger’ trips.
    It’s the shock I will probably not miss when it does become time to replace it.. RockShox Monarch Plus to replace it ? …but the fork is fantastic. Light, stiff and adjustable. Service it regularly (with a yearly service at Specialized) and its top class.
    The bike is a long wheelbase generally and also feels a little ‘top heavy’.
    If its not already done when you buy one, swap the stem/crown to a short version, and get some decent brakes on it.
    The best advice is to be prepared to regularly service the forks yourself. It doesn’t take long and makes big difference to small bump compliance.

tmb467
    Free Member

Running an 06 version with fox 36 van rc2s

Not light but goes up ok and down amazingly well. Stock shock is a DHX 4 air – not great but loco had a fettle and put a volume reducer in and it’s great now

Big big brakes, wide bars and 1×10. Love it.

Id like to try something lighter but til I can afford a new frame it’s keeping me happy

Had an ’06 and loved it – for a while. Awesome when pointing down, but a pig on the ups and I eventually fell out of love on long pedally rides with groups (my fitness at the time should also be brought to task).

Replaced it with an ’08 S-Works self build – a fantastic climber, but descending not as composed as the ’06 – held back by the forks maybe, geometry possibly? A great all round bike though to an extent. Small bump compliance was awful for both the E150 SL fork and the AFR shock. Both great with big hits though and the platform on the rear shock was almost lock out.

In all honesty (partly due to a bit of a lay-off from riding) I never had either serviced and a resurgence in my riding found them in need of something.

So, replaced the fork with an X-Fusion Vengeance and the shock with a Fox RP23 – new stem and wiiiiide bars. The ride has been totally transformed. The RP23 rides ok, considering it’s not custom tuned – pro-pedal not as good, but overall, it’s tracking well and soaking up pretty much everything. The Vengeance, has changed the geometry somewhat, but aside from changing my riding style a little on the climbs, it’s made the bike what it should always have been. Loving every second astride it at the moment.

Untitled by davetheblade, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check the chain stays, was that the year that they replaced them?
    It seems to be the weak link on most Enduros through the years

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Great stuff guys. I am going to keep hunting for an ’09 model. Mind made up 🙂

Having had a search through the interwebs it seems the problems were with 2006-2007/8 chainstays although most occurrences were on the earlier bikes. Nice heads though Mike, I’ll be sure to take a close look when inspecting possible purchases.

renton
    Free Member

This was my 06 version……………

Which was replaced with my much nicer 09 version………

renton
    Free Member

Have you considered a Pitch??

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Not yet renton. Let me do some research 🙂
    Any reasons for the suggestion?

renton
    Free Member

Various reasons really.

Slightly cheaper than the enduro
    better Fox shock as standard
    It’s a little burlier than the enduro and can take longer forks!

THere also seem to be more around

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Im selling my 2010 Enduro frame if you’re interested.

Stealth black.

Email me if interested.

frame and maybe a few other bits IRO £450, its a large.

mjsmke

Im still riding a 2005 FSR XC frame. I like it so much im dreading ever changing it. I’ve never ridden an 08 or 09 model but i’ve only heard good things about them.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Cheers renton. Ill check them out 🙂
    coolhandluke – cn you send me some pics and details please. Email in profile. Cheers

renton
    Free Member

Here are a few of my old ones to show you what they are like !!…………

Really nice bikes to ride!

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Cool 🙂

Just reading a few reviews and details of the bike and on paper it is actually better suited to my riding than the Enduro.
    Many thanks for the heads up!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘2008/2009 Speacialized Enduro Expert SL – A good buy?’ is closed to new replies.