2006 Revelations – no oil seals!

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by  LoCo.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2006 Revelations – no oil seals!
  • Premier Icon metal_leg
    Subscriber

Just discovered that my 2006 Dual Air Revs do not have oil seals. The foam rings are about double the height of the ones in my Pikes so I suspect this is OEM fork cheapness. Can still put a standard set of wipers, foam rings and oil seals in there? One of the foam rings was caught under the wipers so I need to replace – now I dont know if a standard kit will do.

stumpy01

Erm…I don't believe my '08 Reba's have a separate oil & wipe seal and it's never been an issue.

They just have the wipe top seal, foam ring & a bush below it. They weren't OEM.

seanodav

The seal kit will still fit, well mine did on some pikes which were exactly like that.
    The new kit will have a smaller foam seal in

Premier Icon metal_leg
    Subscriber

Hmmm, so why do all the seal kits include an oil seal?

Looks like bikegoo do what I am after but I have never heard of them before…

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

I had some '07 Revs from new (not OEM) when I serviced them they didn't have oils seals just big foam wipers, so I think it's normal.
    The seal kit I got from TFT had an oil seals and smaller foam bits.

The seals you have are probably combined oil and dust seals (like fox). Ive seen it in rebas before. If you didnt have an oil seal (just dust) you would have oil all over your stanction.

Premier Icon metal_leg
    Subscriber

OK – so I am assuming a standard oil and dust seal kit will work. Funny this doesnt appear in the service guides.

I_Ache

I think my Pikes are like that too. The foam seal looks a lot bigger than the one in the pic on the bikegoo site.

I might have to do a seal service next time I change the oil.

PeterPoddy

I'd just leave it as it is, if it's not leaking there's no problem. The oil sloshing around in the leg is only for lubrication anyway and there's only 15cc of it to keep in there anyway. 🙂

Premier Icon metal_leg
    Subscriber

Well, I ordered the seal kit from bikegoo anyway. I have to admit I was tempted just to leave it as is. £13 FOR A BIT OF FOAM… 🙂

LoCo

Morning, yes ther are two different seal kits for the same application, I fit the full dust seal, foam and oil seal kit on services, a little more 'stiction' when fitted but will keep the dirt out for longer. Check the link for parts numbers.

http://www.locotuning.co.uk/rockshox-spare-parts.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2006 Revelations – no oil seals!’ is closed to new replies.