Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2005 Subaru Outback – Exhaust replacement
  • beamers

Afternoon all.

I recall from previous threads on here that there are a few Outback owners / fans in this parish.

Anyone have any experience of replacing the exhaust on them?

Ours is on its second, the original developed a hole at the join, in the area directly under the driver / passenger seat. At the time (7 years ago ish) I had the whole system replaced with a “Longlife” stainless steel system which was significantly cheaper than a replacement Subaru one. Despite the name the Longlife one has now failed in the same place, and the silencers have also corroded and fallen off.

We’ve moved hundreds of miles away from the place that fitted that exhaust and as the car is getting on a bit I don’t want to splash out on a new exhaust ( either stainless or original Subaru part) which would likely cost as much as the value of the car.

So, will the car fail its next MOT at the next MOT and does anyone have any suggestions for a low cost replacement exhaust? (Kwik fit?)

Ta in advance.

ScotlandTheScared

I had similar issue to you on my legacy. Ended up getting a cheap one off ebay. Made by gerlach I think. £110 for the whole exhaust. Been running it for a year and fine so far. At that price you can’t complain. You can also get individual bits of the exhaust.

martymac

When the exhaust fell off my legacy estate it was c£1200 for a genuine one or £500 for a stainless full system. I got mine from pipe dynamics in leven, I would use them again, the exhaust was superb, i never had to think about it again the time i had the car.

beamers

Cheers STS. That Gerlach one might be just the job.

ta11pau1

Was about to suggest the Gerlach exhaust, the tips leave a lot to be desired but it’ll be as quiet as the OEM exhaust and should last a few years behind me of mild rather than stainless steel. Nice and cheap too.

tom200

See if you can get. A Prodrive one, the one when I had a spec b it was much cheaper than the stock one.

orangewinger
    Free Member

I also had a gerlach from eBay fitted. And I’ve had it two years and no issues so far.

Northwind

I had a gerlach on the mondeo, cheap and it rusted pretty quick but it fitted well and worked just fine, what more could you ask?

My legacy is going to get stainless though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2005 Subaru Outback – Exhaust replacement’ is closed to new replies.