£2000 Robaix Disc or Diverge Disc?

• This topic has 55 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by  Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • £2000 Robaix Disc or Diverge Disc?
  • jacob46

Commuting 17 miles a day and sportives throughout the year.

Not sure if I need the extra tire width on the diverge.

What’s best for your buck?

Onzadog

I’m looking closely at the saracen avro right now.

thomthumb

what about a kaffenback?

Jamie

I feel like I need to come up with a different answer for every one of your threads, OP.

So, how about a GT Grade?

Premier Icon soundninjauk
    Subscriber

Anyone mentioned the Whyte Suffolk yet. I have one so obviously I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread and is suitable for anything short of the Red Bull Rampage.

Also discs and mudguard/rack mounts.

JCL

Giant Defy. Apart from maybe the direct internet brands that might be cheaper? I have no idea why people buy anything other than Giant road bikes. The carbon construction is better than anything else and the component specs are great VFM.

stumpy01

Jamie – Freeloader!
    I feel like I need to come up with a different answer for every one of your threads, OP.

😆

I was thinking that. Was gonna post a screenshot of ‘posts started’ but couldn’t be bothered to save it somewhere for linking to.

I like the look of that GT. Does it come in the current on-trend colour of Kermit Green though?

aP

Don’t know. Can’t you decide yourself?

mrblobby

Defy (or Roubaix). Diverge looks awful. The Avro on the other hand looks very good if you don’t mind a Saracen.

I have no idea why people buy anything other than Giant road bikes. The carbon construction is better than anything else and the component specs are great VFM.

Though unless getting the more expensive carbon frames I’d go for the alu Defy, great bike.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I have no idea why people buy anything other than Giant road bikes. The carbon construction is better than anything else and the component specs are great VFM.

WOAAAAAAAAH there, based on what? Their frames aren’t the lightest, the most aero, or the cheapest, how do you know they’re the “best constructed”?

mrblobby

WOAAAAAAAAH there, based on what?

Jamie

WOAAAAAAAAH there, based on what? Their frames aren’t the lightest, the most aero, or the cheapest, how do you know they’re the “best constructed”?

I think you might need to start another thread, OP. This one’s about to get punchy 😀

jacob46

For all you lot Fed up of answering my posts I must apologise for so many but I’ve been confused about what kind of bike to buy for winter commuting and I was actually looking at the wrong bikes.I won’t be doing any off roading with it and have found that the relaxed road bikes is more sensible option.

I’m looking at the defy the weekend so It’s a toss up. I’ve defted out the diverge, yes it looks like a girly frame. So defy or robaix. I would prefer disc (they are the future:))

mrblobby

If you get a proper ride on a Defy I’d be surprised if you don’t buy one 🙂

As for discs being the future. Reckon it really depends on where you ride. Never feel the need for better braking unless I’m somewhere properly hilly. If I was getting them I’d get hydros, underwhelmed by the mechanical disc brakes I’ve tried.

jacob46

mrblobby – Member
    If you get a proper ride on a Defy I’d be surprised if you don’t buy one

As for discs being the future. Reckon it really depends on where you ride. Never feel the need for better braking unless I’m somewhere properly hilly. If I was getting them I’d get hydros, underwhelmed by the mechanical disc brakes I’ve tried.

can the new defy’s handle mudguards mate? the roubaix can. my nearest proper dealer with stock for me to look and try is rutland leicstershire. im willing to go and try.

jacob46

cheapest defy 2015 with hydro disc is £2500

they do look nice bikes mr blobby

Onzadog

For some reason, I want bolt thru with my discs. So, avro or Cayo then.

Jamie

cheapest defy 2015 with hydro disc is £2500

When you wanting it? Don’t think they are going to be in the country for a while.

Possibly after Xmas.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

It’ll be spring before he decides anyway!

🙂

Jamie

….2015 or 2016? 😛

Here’s your commuting bike: http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-road-pr7-bike-73113.html

Then you’re free to spend two grand on a bike that doesnt look like it’s shit itself.

Premier Icon aidanoggy
    Subscriber

Ive got a Roubaix, class bikes, very comfortable. I bought mine to do Audaxes on and have done 3 200’s on it since I got it. No complaints here.
    Cant comment on the other suggestions as I haven’t riden them, but you won’t go far wrong with a Roubaix .

My suggestion would be to get a test ride on the ones you fancy and see which you like best though

munrobiker

The Giant Defy ticks all your boxes and is prettier. Since they make the frames for a number of other big manufacturers notably Trek, I get the point above about construction.

Didn’t we decide the diverge was way way way overpriced?

For some reason, I want bolt thru with my discs. So, avro or Cayo then.

Or a Merida – the Ride Disc 5000 is lovely for £1900 with Ultegra, 15mm front axle, carbon seatpost, and decent finishing kit.

jacob46

Yes diverge is ugly. Girls frame.

I live 4 mile from local specialized birmingham shop so it’s a no brainer.

Just wasn’t planning on spending 2k but I know if anything goes wrong with my tarmac the roubaix can step in on my weekend rides until it’s repaired! Job done.

Jamie

Just wasn’t planning on spending 2k but I know if anything goes wrong with my tarmac the roubaix can step in on my weekend rides until it’s repaired! Job done.

Then don’t.

Right, let’s get this nailed down. When do you want to have the bike by? As depending on dates, that could rule out a lot of bikes, such as some German stuff, Defy etc.

Also, what tyre size you want to be able to run?

What frame material?

Budget?

You want new hydros?

1981miked

That Merlin is amazing value..

Jacob: whilst research and considering many bikes is always a good thing I think you need to stop looking at so many different bike and bike types, it is easy to get carried away and forget what you were looking for in the process, I think your budget has doubled since your original post?

Chucking more money at a bike purchase does not always get a “better” bike, yes it will have better spec, better frame etc but it may not be what is best for what you want the bike for. A winter bike is something that will be used and abused and no doubt put back in the shed without a proper clean, I would not be dropping £2k on a winter commuter, it is a lot of cash for a bike that will get a hard life. I have been where you are and taken a few days to consider my options and stopped looking into it, it lets you put things into perspective and think what you really need.

At the end of the day you are asking a load of strangers to spend up to £2k on a bike YOU have to ride and live with. Go and see the bikes you like then sleep on it and decide what one will suit your needs.

Hope you don’t think I’m being an arse by saying this but you may end up splashing a load of cash needlessly, when a £300 Merlin or £1000 2014 model will be more than enough bike for your requirements.

Every day there are new bikes for people to critique and pass comment on, but you seem no closer to making a decision.

Good luck with your search mate.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Mike is giving you good advice.

2k on a winter commuter is bonkers IMO.

JCL

I know guys who ride TCR’s Advanced SL’s that are 15lbs in a large. Light enough for me. I also have heard that the Propel is about the most aero road bike on the market?

Construction wise the lay-up is very nicely done. No voids, no huge overlap, bladders left in frames etc. I’ve seen a few cut up and they’re much cleaner than Merida built bikes.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

Spesh concept stores are doing 2014 Roubaix disc with a sora group set for £1200. You could add a nice group set (105 for £300)and be about a grand up.

Later, later, later….

( 😉 )

TiRed

I am a hopelessly biased fan of Giant Road bikes. But I wouldn’t be spending £2K on a “winter bike”m that being said, the Giant defy is the bike that all others are judged against. Giant seem to balance frame quality and components, mixed in with economies of scale for finishing kit. You can’t go wrong.

So then look at the others. Roubaix has a very long head tube. Good for comfort, but if you ride more and become more flexible, this may be a factor.

Test ride what you can. Giant Stores have a very generous test ride facility – proper testing. For a week. I’m did this and bought a top end Defy SL. But we also have an alloy Defy 4 in the stable, and it is a great frame too.

Last point; as Mike says, good caliper brakes are fine for winter riding. I don’t care for disks on road bikes – even the superb new Defy SL.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

I’d buy one of those merlins and ride it into the ground. Then buy another as it’d probably be cheaper than replacing parts on it,

wilburt

I would buy something easy to insure as a commuter, then spunk the rest on booze or drugs or sweets.

Jamie

I’d buy one of those merlins and ride it into the ground. Then buy another as it’d probably be cheaper than replacing parts on it,

You’d could probably buy 2 of those Merlins for less than a few months deprecation on a 2k road bike.

So in summary. Buy the Merlin for the commute, and buy a nice £1700-2k bike for the sportives etc.

mrblobby

So in summary. Buy the Merlin for the commute, and buy a nice £1700-2k bike for the sportives etc.

… but you’ll likely be putting far more miles in on the commute and probably at times when you don’t much feel like swinging a leg over a bike. Get something you like riding.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I know guys who ride TCR’s Advanced SL’s that are 15lbs in a large. Light enough for me. I also have heard that the Propel is about the most aero road bike on the market?

Built bike weight is pretty irrelevant isn’t it!? Get a 9 lb build kit and hang it on a cheap alu frame and you’ll still have a 13lb road bike! “Most aero” isn’t that clear cut either, basically there’s no such thing.

Construction wise the lay-up is very nicely done. No voids, no huge overlap, bladders left in frames etc. I’ve seen a few cut up and they’re much cleaner than Merida built bikes.

Doesn’t make them the best though does it… Anyway, must stop biting. Excellent frames, just not the greatest thing you can buy.

… but you’ll likely be putting far more miles in on the commute and probably at times when you don’t much feel like swinging a leg over a bike. Get something you like riding.

I agree, and whilst I do swap to an Allez for winter duty I keep thinking of buying a nicer winter bike, I do a lot of miles on it, so it’s nice to at least vaguely like the bike!

Jamie

So in summary, the OP should get a scooter.

ransos

Last point; as Mike says, good caliper brakes are fine for winter riding. I don’t care for disks on road bikes – even the superb new Defy SL.

Can’t agree there: proper mudguards usually means long-drop calipers and even the R650 models are pretty ropey in the cold and wet. Not what I want on a steep descent when my hands are cold.

JCL

Doesn’t make them the best though does it… Anyway, must stop biting. Excellent frames, just not the greatest thing you can buy.

VFM wise (which is what the OP was asking rather than outright “best” whatever that means?) I don’t think Giant bikes can be beaten. I don’t even think it’s close. Like I said, I have no idea why anyone would pay more than a Giant road bike for quality/performance reasons unless you’re an odd shape and need a custom. Road bike geo is the boring same old from every manufacturer so you’re getting nothing extra apart from looking like a Eurotwat on a Colnago etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘£2000 Robaix Disc or Diverge Disc?’ is closed to new replies.