Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 2000 AD
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The dog thread made me wonder about this once essential travel magazine. Anyone still read it? How do they reconcile the futuristic 2000 AD with the fact that it’s in the past?

colournoise

Have just published prog 2012 IIRC.

Had prog 1 (up to about prog 100) until it was ditched in a parental divorce.

Just ditched about 400 progs in a clear out (eBay prices weren’t worth the trouble).

Haven’t looked at it in years. Was a big fan and collector in its ‘Golden Age’ (Slaine, ABC Warriors, Bad Company, Zenith, Metalzoic, Nemesis, Halo jones, etc.).

slainte 8) rob

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Had issue 1 until it was ditched in a parental divorce

did it have the spinner still attached?

I had to give all mine away, and it still hurts

colournoise

big_n_daft – Member
    Had issue 1 until it was ditched in a parental divorce
    did it have the spinner still attached?

TBH I don’t remember. It had been stored in a loft for a few years prior to me wondering where it had got to and then finding out it had been chucked.

slainte 😥 rob

deluded
    Free Member

Spikes Harvey Rotten is my fav character.

I think my oldest copy is prog 58.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I read it from 1 to somewhere in the 500’s

remember Wolfie Smith, Mach 1? even the Dan Dare rehash?

maxray
    Free Member

Ooh brings back memories, Marshall law super hero Hunter, or was that toxic ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

What kind of idiot is up at this time in the morning? 🙂

(Feeding time or poo time?)

Garry_Lager

I started reading it from about prog 500 – 800 ish, filling in the earlier stuff as I went along. Bad Company was running when I first picked it up – that was a great story. Strontium Dogs, ABC warrior, Nemesis and Torquemeda, jumpers for goalposts isn’t it?

Conflicted about what to do with all the old progs – because it’s not like I ever read them and they’re not worth a carrot. Still can’t bring myself to turf them out and actually made a mini-effort to fill in some gaps recently.

totalshell

dont read it any more but have 8 framed covers above my desk.. my fav Rogue Trooper. JD for me was spoilt by the movies..

bigbloke
    Free Member

2000AD was brilliant.

I loved the Slaine series, that would make an awesome film nowadays. Imagine a Ridley Scott type of production. 8)

hated the JD movie utter tosh.

atlaz
    Free Member

They’re doing another, more faithful, Dredd movie apparently. Fingers crossed.

I was going to say the strips I loved the most but I think I liked most of them. I think for a film, Rogue Trooper or Slaine would definitely do the job.

Harry_the_Spider

Got all of them from 1983 – 2006 in the loft. No idea what to do with them.

Anyone remember “The Button Man”? Now that would make a great film.

donks
    Free Member

They ran a strip called Big Dave from Manchester about the hardest man in England which was quality…IIRC he teams up with Terry Waite and goes off to av Sadam Hussain. In another he shags Di and Fergie…brilliant.

Chopper was also good.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve got Slaine : The Horned God in a set of three Graphic novels 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Loved nemesis and Torquemada .

codybrennan
    Free Member

About the only claim to fame I have in my life is that I once had a 2000AD character named after me. I only lasted for 8 issues and was killed, but nevertheless!

Long story but an old mate of mine was starting to get a foothold as a comics writer (he’s really, really big now) and had been approached by IPC to do something. They wanted him to re-use one of their old licences, but he’d had a diet of American comics all his life and wasn’t big on 2000AD. Whereas I (up until about 1993 anyway) was an avid collector and enthusiast.

Anyway, the truncated version is that he revamped Robo-Hunter in 1990, and for 8 progs he had a “sidekick” named after me until I got wasted.

I will always be grateful to him 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Loved nemesis and Torquemada

That was my favourite too. Fantastic drawing, imagination. Everything. The detail.

Pointless fact – Mrs str used to go out with a 2000AD artist, Greg Staples.

angeldust
    Free Member

Mark Millar?

codybrennan
    Free Member

@angeldust: yes indeed.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love some original 2000ad art or original print- is this ‘possible’??

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

More info about the new Dredd movie here

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/07/26/judge-dredd-movie-photos-karl-urban/

Let’s face it, it can’t be any worse than the last one.

Was a massive fan and collected avidly, but gave them all away to a friend sister who now draws her own comics. I stil have a #3 in a box. Pretty sure it’s actually a reprint, but hey.

Shameless plug for my friend sister here as well

http://comicmole.wordpress.com/tag/kate-holden/

llama

My favourites were late 80s early 90s slaine, rogue trooper, chopper etc The colour art work then was really cool.

Actually I reckon the dread movie was as good as it was ever going to be. The angel gang were pretty good fun, and I mean, Stallone was never going to leave his helmet on and he did have the chin for it. The one thing it could have done better was conveying the megacity vastness of scale.

mogrim

Nemesis, Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog were my favourites, although the Slaine artwork was (and is) amazing. Bought a whole load of the collected reprints from Amazon, great stuff!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

My ex-husband’s brother used to be a 2000AD artist – probably my only claim to fame, if it’s even that 😕

Garry_Lager

Some of the artists seemed outstanding – guys like Steve Dillon who drew a lot of JD had a really clean, ‘comic book’ style that was great for storytelling but maybe not all that interesting IMHO. There was a guy who drew Nemesis for a while called John Hinckleton (I think) who had a really fked up style – perfect for that story. Simon Bisley was also spot on for the ABC warriors and Slaine. Never really liked the style of the Gorrilaz guy (Hewlett or Milligan?) but he drew some great stories.

Never read much in the way of comics aside from 2000AD, find it strange that the artist is not considered the mac-Daddy of the creative process. You read about Alan Moore and it’s clear he’s considered the man in total charge of the vision for his stories, with the artist almost occupying a back seat.

clubber
    Free Member
    Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

The V.C.’s

Rogue Trooper & Fort Neuro

Call me Kenneth

Nemesis

Block Wars and the Apocalypse War

Strontium Dog

so many memories

Be pure, be vigilant, behave!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘2000 AD’ is closed to new replies.