• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • £200 sound bars?
  • jonnyrockymountain

Want to get a sound bar to enhance the sound of my new TV, but have got it down to 2no, the reasons its either one of these is purely size, as i cant fit anything bigger in the unit below TV, anyone got any experience of either?
    Also not expecting fantastic cinema like experience, just to enhance tv and maybe stream a bit of music as well.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/bose-solo-5-sound-bar-10137802-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/sony-ht-mt300-2-1-wireless-sound-bar-10158998-pdt.html

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Cambridge Audio? Had one in the past & was very impressed by it.

bensales
    Free Member

I’m going to piggyback in this thread, as the budget is appropriate for my request too…

I’m after a sound bar/surround system specifically to enhance the speech coming from the telly. I have difficulty picking out speech with the excessive background audio most programmes seem to have, and whilst headphones are my normal solution, it’d be good not to have to use them. I’m aware speech normally comes over one of the channels, but is it present in 2.1 as well as 5.1 and 7.1? Googling seems to land me in audiophile hell.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnyrockymountain

This one is also in the running i have just discovered

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars/acoustic-energy-soundbar.html

Cougar

I’m aware speech normally comes over one of the channels, but is it present in 2.1 as well as 5.1 and 7.1?

If speech wasn’t present in 2.1, you’d have some very quiet TV programmes. (-:

2.1 is stereo, it’s mixed in with everything else (just like your headphones). On 5.1 system, speech is generally biased towards the centre speaker.

This one is also in the running

How about https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yas105-blk.html

newrobdob
    Free Member

I have a cinema amp, but with only front and centre speakers. Never bothered with rears. I love how the speech is very clear from the centre speaker – with a cinema amp you could turn up the volume on the centre speaker if you wanted it louder.

ade9933
    Free Member

Q acoustics 3 & 4 have good reviews for this price bracket as does the new sky soundbox if you are a Sky customer.

RichPenny
    Free Member

2.1 is stereo

Eh?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Eh?

1 channel is mono
    2 channels is stereo
    2.1 is stereo but a sub/satellite setup (used on PCs most often)
    3 is stereo front and single centre, 3.1 adds a sub
    5.1 is the traditional home cinema setup of stereo front, centre and stereo rear (if Dolby digital) and sub. You don’t have to have the sub but it is generally catered for in home cinema amps as films sound better with bass for explosions etc.
    7.1 adds extra side or rear speaker
    Etc etc

mattyfez

The .1 designates a dedicated sub bass unit.

batfink
    Free Member

If you’ve got the TV sitting on a unit, is a “soundbase” an option?

If so, this would be top of my list for a demo:

q acoustics soundbase

I do appreciate it’s slightly out of budget.

If you possibly have room for left and right bookshelves, and a centre speaker (and an Amp to drive them) – this will deliver a FAR better experience than a cheap soundbar, particularly for separating the centre channel (where most of the speech goes). Just had a quick browse on richer sounds – you could get that for about 250 quid.

The only soundbars I found with 3 dedicated channels were the really expensive (and massive) ones.

DrP

In true STW I’m not really answering the question you asked…

However…

I aknowledge that thin TVs have crap speakers, so you DO need something else.

For years I had a £200ish LG soundbar, with bluetooth sub. It was MUCH better than the stock speakers, and I liked the sub rumble.

Then, as a ‘punt’ I got some Q acoustic BT3 speakers – I paid about £200, but they are cheaper now.
    Literally, there is no comparison – the BT3s blow the soundbar out of the water. Not just for TV, but also (and important as you did mention this) for streaming music.
    They are lovely.
    I thought I’d miss the sub, but I really don’t – the sound stage is so good on teh BT3s.

So, if you have space either side of the telly, I’d consider some speakers like these over a sound bar..

DrP

veedubba

I have a Yamaha YSP-800 for sale at a very reasonable price 🙂

Not made a huge amount of effort to sell it, but it’s just sitting in the spare room gathering dust at the moment.

niksnr
    Free Member

2.1 is stereo

Eh?

Old ones always the best

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

How much for the Yamaha? My gf is in the market for one

DezB
    Free Member

I think my Hitachi soundbar was about £50 from Argos. It does the job, can’t have anything louder – neighbour complained about music being played through the £50 one, so it’s obviously decent enough 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘£200 sound bars?’ is closed to new replies.