• This topic has 46 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by Earl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • £200 cash in ISA. What to invest in?
  • Premier Icon Earl
    Free Member

Ideas?
    Anything on the riskier side that takes your fancy?

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

Netflix has taken an absolute beating, might be undervalued now if you can trade US stocks?

Someone I know was trying to persuade me Cornish Lithium is worth a punt. I declined but it probably fulfils your desire for risk 😀

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Black. (or was it red?)

Premier Icon thepurist
    Free Member

McVities and DarkTrace – cake and hackers 😀

Premier Icon alpin
    Free Member

I think as ppl have returned to work and /or they have watched what they wanted to /realised most of Netflix content is push they’ve cancelled their subscription.

I wouldn’t have Netflix if it wasn’t for stealing my sisters login details.

200£ is a pithy amount to be investing. You’ll likely not see much of a return due to fees. It’ll take some years before the benefits of compound interest are felt.

£150 worth of scratch cards and spend the rest on a nice meal?

Premier Icon Earl
    Free Member

Good ideas but they are all over my £200 for a share. I’m using a platform that only sell full shares.

Premier Icon Earl
    Free Member

The £200 is already in the ISA -not sure how it go there but its there. So got to do something with it.

Premier Icon alpin
    Free Member

Aha, then wazz it on something ethical.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

GX cassette?

They were £100 a year ago, £200 now – who knows what they’ll be in 3 months time.

And worse case, you can use it.

Premier Icon Jamz
    Free Member

Netflix is possibly in quite a nice place for a relief bounce, but that would be a short term trade not a long term investment, and looking at the size of the gap down I think I probably wouldn’t risk it. US tech is currently the sector that eveyone is trying to get out of having bought it relentlessly for the last 2 years – far better to try and think of the stock that everyone else will want to be buying relentlessly a years time…

Premier Icon Earl
    Free Member

Note sure if I can hold a GX cassette in a ISA.

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

You can’t ‘invest’ just £200 no matter what Instagram might tell you. It’s too small an amount to make any real return. If you want to make a large sum off it you’d have to gamble it, for example buying crypto and hoping it surges like it sometimes does.

Premier Icon whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

how much is dealing fees in your ISA

personally oil and banks and telecoms have done really well for me up 10% YTD last tuesday, now more like 5%. :0(

Smith/nephew, angloamerican, polar cap were 3 of the 5 recommends on HL newsletter last month..
    s&n doing ok till some dodgy US litigation case, last week

i know nothing on miners, but i needed the diversification so stuck money in
    ‘blackrock world mining’ £6.25, got in at £5.70, was £7 last tuesday..
    its a share but they hold shares in uk usa canada and all the big names, so less risk than a named miner.

as others have said £200 aint gonna make you rich, £1-£3k a deal, to sit and hold, helps with the breakeven and fees, markets have been swinging 5-10% every other week, but I’m rubbish at day trading so buy and hold

Premier Icon mrsheen
    Free Member

Premium Bonds.

Edit: or buy the FT and study the share prices Maybe buy some cheap shares and buy and sell with minimal risk but it might be interesting in a way.

Premier Icon doris5000
    Free Member

Risky, you say? Cineworld? Easyjet?

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot
    Free Member

Lottery. If it’s free money why not?

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Anything on the riskier side that takes your fancy?

Lucky for you I have explored and bought a selection of really shit shares that have tanked recently and so are available at a knockdown price.😛

Top of the list is THG. It was 800 way back, I bought at 280 “on the dip” and it has since bombed to 120.

Darktrace similar trajectory

If you want to own shit loads of shares then Amigo Loans is a definite option. Currently 50% down on last week at 2.5 pence. ( which is 99% down on the height) they’re just about to go bust though, so not so much high risk as zero chance:-)

I would have recommended Intu, which I bought literally thousands of 2 years ago. Lucky for you they actually went fully bust and the shares can no longer be traded.

Cineworld is another option of course. Currently at about 11% of its pre covid value.

There you go. Those are my complete lemons. I’d go with THG if I were you.

What am I saying…. I did go with THG, and am now £1200 poorer.
    🤣

Premier Icon Earl
    Free Member

Good work theGenerlist

Win some loose some.

I bought some Primark (ABF) just before lockdown. With no online sales the shares tanked. Sold nice and low as I had a personal moral wakeup when I was in store surrounded by disposal plastic fashion and the known 3rd world labour issues. Its hard being this woke.

A few years back someone here suggested AFC and a high risk. I spent £200 @6p and today its 30p. Still no sales mind.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Free Member

If you’re doing well financially then just gamble it (lottery, horse racing etc – less hassle than shares) or treat yourself.

If you’re worried you might be impacted by the crazy cost of living increase we’re going to see this year (energy and other things) then stick it in your bank (assuming it has to be taken out of the ISA) and watch it disappear via direct debits etc.

Premier Icon Sandwich

19 posts about money and no one suggested C&H yet! Standards are slipping.

Premier Icon integra
    Free Member

A day out at the races?

Premier Icon duncancallum

200quid.

I’d invest it in a belting hangover!

There’s loads online about wines n scotch though I’m doubtful they’ll ever do the return they brag about.

Premier Icon finephilly
    Free Member

£200? I would buy some old stuff on eBay/charity shops or car boot sales to do up and sell on. Anything you have knowledge of or are good at.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Free Member

ITM or Lloyds for real world chance of decent gains.

ARB or KR1 for crypto linked chance of doubling, tripling, quadrupling your money.

Depends how you view £200 to lose – it’s not going to make an awful lot of money in anything sensible. If you can afford to lose it, stick it on something insensible. FWIW I have all of the above.

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

Win some loose some.

I’d invest in the letter o. It’s very popular these days. People are adding an extra one into lose all the time.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Free Member

OSMO and stake it 🙂

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

£200? I would buy some old stuff on eBay/charity shops or car boot sales to do up and sell on. Anything you have knowledge of or are good at.

This +1

Or the cliche “Invest in yourself” and do an evening course in something.

Premier Icon petedee
    Free Member

Upskill in some form or other. Not going far with direct financial investments with £200.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Free Member

THG. Buy the dip. Or not. IANAFA but the CEO’s mother is crying foul on the shorting.

Premier Icon tails
    Free Member

Perhaps Something Russian and hope putin keeps his missile in his pants, then you’ll get a bounce!

Also don’t listen to that lot up there, if you’ve only got £200. All need to start somewhere.

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

If there are things on your bikes that you currently pay others to do then buy tools to do it yourself.

Free Member

a good pair of trainers or two, like NB MiUSA/MiUK / 3stripe suede gum soled city series or nike air jordans, always offer a good return.

If you want to own shit loads of shares then Amigo Loans is a definite option. Currently 50% down on last week at 2.5 pence.

If you’d followed this advice and bought 5 minutes after open this morning you’d already be £50 up. 😇😁🙄

Premier Icon commencaltr29rider

Cineworld is a good shout for a bet. You can only lose £200 if they go under. If they get back to pre-pandemic levels you’re looking at a grand.

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

Lots of people on this thread not really understanding the benefits of an ISA wrapper (and/or how dividends are paid in S&S ISAs)…

Tell us more finbar. What are we missing?

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

thegeneralist, you’re not missing anything. I am assuming that the OP has a S&S ISA with some other investments, and now has £200 of dividends in the account.

It’s beneficial to keep it there, because if you withdraw it you lose the tax-free status of any growth in that money in future.

I just meant that, last time I checked, most ISA providers don’t allow you to buy trainers or stuff from charity shops….

(I appreciate some/all of those responses may have been tongue-in-cheek of course!)

Premier Icon Tallpaul
    Free Member

Matched betting. But it’s quite a lot of effort.

Free Member

@finbar trainers are a great investment ;0)

although saying that i’m up well over 30% on cISA investment that i’ve built up since day 1 of covid, bulk of stock in FTSE100.

as you say ISA’s are tax free hence useful to have a S&S ISA if you intend to invest hefty amounts long term, but for a small investor you’ve got to be earning over £12.3k capital gains (ie profit between buy/sell prices) and £2k dividends (current tax year) but ISA monthly fees can eat away at small profits, especially if you are investing low sums.
    my missus has a couple of grand invested, she’d be better off with a regular account with zero fees and low dealing charges, as its unlikely she’ll be breaching the limits any time soon

many S&S ISa’s allow reinvestment of dividends for a nominal fee (HL: £1.50) so that is always a good option.

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

@finbar trainers are a great investment ;0)

It is fascinating stuff to be fair. Flipping seems like a mug’s game though – I’ve seen a lot of those recent Billie Eyelash Nikes on eBay listed – I think – at under retail.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.