Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 20 year old whisky – tell me what's good
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s my Pop’s birthday and I know he likes a wee dram. However I’m not a massive whisky fan, so would appreciate so guidance on what to get him.

Give me your recommendations!

mattstreet

Any idea what type of whisky he prefers?

Have enjoyed a very good Old Pulteney 21yo recently and Benromach 21yo is very good too. IMHO of course.

bearnecessities

Possibilities are endless!

Is it possible to organise something whisky related; maybe colluding with other family members? Trip around the Islay distilleries etc?

Failing that, lovely couple of top quality lead cut glasses with a nice 18yr old?*

*EDIT. NO!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Waderider
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure those in the know say whisky is at it’s best at 16 years old. It gains nothing after that, unless of course it was a reknowned bottling anyway. Old age is sometimes just a tool for marketing and inflated prices.

Verdict: Lagavulin 16yr old

TooTall
    Free Member

have a look around this place for a few ideas:

http://www.whiskyandwines.com/

To anyone who likes whisky and is near Swindon – it is worth the trip to find this place. A true cavern of wonder and delight. The owner knows nearly everything there is to know about whisky.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure those in the know say whisky is at it’s best at 16 years old.

OK – that helps. 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Age means little really as it’s all a matter of taste (as I’ve said a zillion times before about whisky)
    A Bunnahabhain 12 yr old is my recommendation but only cos it’s my fave.

beagle
    Free Member

Depending on his preferences……

Have a go at Tomintoul 21. It’s probably the most reasonable 21 year old, and its pretty darn good. Think it’s called the gentle dram, but its slightly more complex than the younger tomintouls. Pretty vanillary, honey etc. Tried a friends and bought my own. Sadly, long since gone!!

Good value I reckon.

maccruiskeen

Best whisky I’ve had recently (or ever) – and by a fricking country mile – Scarpa 16 yo. £50 a bottle but its cheap at that.

skink2020

macruiskeen, find someone who works in the kilmalid chivas distillery. Scarpa 16yr old, £16 a bottle. It’s my favorite.

Saccades
    Free Member

I love Scarpa but can only get it on the ferry (holyhead to dublin).

also like woodford reserve bourbon, smooth and comlex aftertaste.

also like royal lochnagar (sp) to, don’t see if often.

irish whiskey is generally lighter, less medicinal (tcp). very neckable.

grim168
    Free Member

How about a whisky tasting session. We are off to one in Manchester tomorrow.
    http://www.thewhiskylounge.com/book-now-whisky-festivals/

kcal

Lagavulin 16yo – but that’s near £50 in Tesco. That’s getting into Whisky Society pricing!!

Have Glenfarclas 105 in my local garage, I think that’s at £45 or so. Maybe even £40.

At 20yo, the distilleries can charge what they like and still folk will pay..

My favourites include – Macallan (they now have a colour scheme rather than age statement), but 12yo is good; Highland Park always worth a drink; Springbank for something out of the ordinary. Old Pulteney 12yo is £25 in Tesco and really very good. Other Speysides — Longmorn-Glenlivet; Glen Elgin; Mortlach (try the Wine Society for specials).

Others – Clynelish and Brora, very good indeed and not commonly available; Dalwhinnie, Oban are quite good as well though maybe not big hitters; Talisker is a mighty dram but not to everyone’s taste; Islays I would select Caol Ila or Bruichalddich varieties..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Find any special edition bottling of anything.

bob_summers

buzz-lightyear – Member
    Find any special edition bottling of anything.

Like this (the one on the right)? http://www.comptoir-irlandais.com/index.php?rub=la_gamme_lagavulin

As I only tend to get through one bottle a year/winter, I play safe and buy the 16yo. But I’m wondering whether I should spend the extra 20€.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘20 year old whisky – tell me what's good’ is closed to new replies.