Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 20" Schrader tubes for ghetto tubeless on narrow (18 & 19mm) rims?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

As per the title, which 20″ (or 18″) Schrader tubes work well on narrow rims (18 & 19mm) for ghetto tubeless?

I can confirm that no metal Schrader valves work (reinforcing patch in tube too large) long term, so it must be a rubber valved tube.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Anyone?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what rims and tyre? I am getting away with just yellow tape currently

chives
    Free Member

Schwalbe 20″ tubes worked fine on my Alex rims, and have a metal (threaded) valve stem. If they’re welded rims you’ve got, just yellow tape & sealant.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

£2ish tesco 20″ tubes have “rubbery/plastic” valves and worked for me on narrow 26″ rims.

Im not sure what your problem is exactly?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Im not sure what your problem is exactly?

In general? It’s a long story..

Oh I see…

I used Schwlabe 20″ Schraders, but the valve base/reinforcement patch was too wide for the 19mm inner rim width and wouldn’t let the tyre bead seat 100% there.

Rims are 559×19 Weinmann Zac-19 and 559×18 Specialized/Alex HRD.

The ghetto tubeless worked, but then on more than one occasion overnight complete pressure loss occurred. A quick Google search and the best ghetto tubeless guide specifically mentions this problem with 19mm and under rims, and suggest using Presta valved tubes instead. In the comments section the author does however mention that rubber valved Schraders do work, but not which ones (if indeed there is a preference).

TuckerUK
    Free Member

£2ish tesco 20″ tubes have “rubbery/plastic” valves and worked for me on narrow 26″ rims.

That’s reassuring. Do you recall/know which rims/how narrow?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well for me – some DT swiss rims that came named / un-modeled on a commencal bike. 19mm wide claimed. Happily went ghetto with tesco 20″tubes.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ll give ’em a try and report back. Cheers.

tmb467
    Free Member

gorilla tape and an old valve from a heavily repaired tube for me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘20" Schrader tubes for ghetto tubeless on narrow (18 & 19mm) rims?’ is closed to new replies.