Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 20 MPH road speed limit on the roads in built up areas
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/rhiaweston/acpo-to-revise-guidance-on-enforcement-of-20-mph

The Police have been told to rewrite their enforcement policy of 20 mph limits on roads in built up areas, as currently they rarely enforce the speed likmit and have decided the speed limit should be enforced by speed bumps and traffic management.

So do you obey non enforceable 20 mph speed limits when driving, and should they be legally enforced, fines and bans for repeated flaunting of the rules.

scotroutes

20 mph zones should be self-enforcing’ through the use of traffic-calming features like speed bumps and traffic islands and that ‘there should be no expectation on the police to provide additional enforcement beyond their routine activity’

Important word there. Completely changes the meaning of what ACPO have been reported to have said.

toys19
    Free Member

I obey (well when I remember, and I need to prodding every now and then) and would like to see it everywhere.

I can’t see a logical or moral reason why cars should not be ltd to 70mph, and then try and enforce an f1 pit style remote speed limiter arrangement in lower speed areas. Then the traffic cops would be virtually redundant. Gradually the hegemony of road aggression and death will decline and the world will become a better place.

Whislt I am dreaming I would liek a pony, a new fat bike and my own island with big mountains, snow on one side, dry dusty trails on the other, chairlifts, great surf, no sharks, bountiful sea and land and 16 hot wives..

IanW
    Free Member

Eu directive to have all new cars installed with telematics devices from 2018 (date from memory) hopefully you’ll all just explode as soon as the limit is exceeded have your speed electronically limited after that.

tomhoward

Toys, you had me going then….

toys19
    Free Member

Tomhoward, I am deadly serious about the speed limits etc. Just not convinced the sad lame petrol heads (of which I am/was) will ever be placated. You think the fluffy kitten/child’s face brigade are barking, along with the tobacco lobby, but the motorists lobby is so mental. An Englishman’s car is an extension of his castle.

Eu directive to have all new cars installed with telematics devices from 2018 (date from memory) hopefully you’ll all just explode as soon as the limit is exceeded have your speed electronically limited after that.

Happy days!

GrahamS

So do you obey non enforceable 20 mph speed limits when driving, and should they be legally enforced, fines and bans for repeated flaunting of the rules.

What do you mean “non enforceable”? Surely if they are proper red circle 20 signs* then they are already legally enforceable, like any other limit, it’s just that the police had decided not to bother as it was such a “minor” offence?

(* as opposed to advisory signs)

mk1fan
    Free Member

I can’t see a logical or moral reason why cars should not be ltd to 70mph, and then try and enforce an f1 pit style remote speed limiter arrangement in lower speed areas. Then the traffic cops would be virtually redundant. Gradually the hegemony of road aggression and death will decline and the world will become a better place.

Speed is only one (minor) part of vehicle control.

GrahamS

Speed is only one (minor) part of vehicle control.

True, but it is one of the easiest ones to control via electronic solutions.

oldnpastit

Where’s the statistical analysis to find out what kind of speeds are being seen in 20mph limit areas, and whether or not accident rates are affected. And whether it’s even the same in all parts of the country.

Anecdote based policy making?

toys19
    Free Member

Bah, it stands to reason, you must believe that you have way more time to make decisions at 20 than you do at 40, and that speed makes a huge difference to survivabilty of a crash.

If you are doing 0 mph you won’t have any crashes..

Northwind

Urban limits are pretty much the only ones I pay much attention to, tbh! I know it’s anecdoty but speeding in our 20mph area (and in the neighbouring 30mph areas) is fairly constant, there’s speedbumps etc but they don’t really do the job.

GrahamS

Where’s the statistical analysis to find out what kind of speeds are being seen in 20mph limit areas, and whether or not accident rates are affected.

Some analysis of speeds here:
    http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/speed-limits-portsmouth/speed-limits-portsmouth.pdf

MSP

There is a lot more that could be done on urban planning in residential areas to naturally reduce speeds.

But it would be great to see traffic enforcement move from easy catches on high speed roads into residential areas.

scaled
    Free Member

There is a lot more that could be done on urban planning in residential areas to naturally reduce speeds.

But it would be great to see traffic enforcement move from easy catches on high speed roads into residential areas.

A road near me is a slalom, it’s literally not straight for more than 100m but dickheads still do 40 down it, you can hear the tyres screeching at 11pm+

I actually saw someone overtake someone going over a speed bump the other day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86gqm0cy10d8h1k/wiggly.JPG

Edit: no, i don’t live at the red dot 😀

MSP

It should be blocked off then. Thats the thing residential areas should be the last or first few hundred metres of anyone’s journey, not a through route. People need to start making the mental connection that these are the streets we live on, where our and our neighbours kids play.

They need separating from roads used for through traffic.

D0NK

It should be blocked off then.

yep our road is a short one that unfortunately links two radial(ish) roads which come together another 100yrd further on anyway, no reason for it to be a through rd, would love it to be blocked off halfway. Shops would complain but if you bollard end it right outside the shops you’d still get cars able to drive to the door from either direction (and double park, as is their want, while they nip inside)

20 sign yeah i stick to 20, think all residential should be 20. Residential A roads I’m not too sure

IanW
    Free Member

A cars ability to safely negotiate a stretch of road is not the only reason to set a speed limit.

mrmo
    Free Member

Road through one of the local villages (Painswick) is a 20mph limit, i drive through at 20mph and the attitude of most drivers is not good.

As for comments about speed control, it is very clear drivers can not be trusted to use common sense. Only have to think about Isle of Sheppy this week to understand that. I am not sure if it could be done now, but can’t be far away, where rather than have the gantry tell you how fast you should be going the car is told how fast it can go and limited with no input from the driver.

mlke
    Free Member

Re 20s I wish they’d sign these better as a few times I’ve pootled down a road at28 only to find Iwas 8mph over the limit.

Re speed limiting cars to 70 – I can’t see this saving any cycling lives, I’d prefer black boxes in all cars that provide evidence on driving so drivers don’t squirm out of dangerous driving charges

mlke
    Free Member

Re 20s I wish they’d sign these better as a few times I’ve pootled down a road at28 only to find Iwas 8mph over the limit.

Re speed limiting cars to 70 – I can’t see this saving any cycling lives, I’d prefer black boxes in all cars that provide evidence on driving so drivers don’t squirm out of dangerous driving charges

Karinofnine

Good, 20s are a good idea.

I hate speed bumps though, both in the car and on my bike. The ones that are just islands, rather than the whole way across, mean that drivers swerve to get them between their wheels, they cut in too close.

Forty Hill is a 20. NO ONE STICKS TO IT. When I drive along it I go 20, with a group of tailgating cars 2″ off my bumper. When I ride along it they swerve in and out behind me trying desperatey to get past. FFS wait! It’s only a couple of km long, and there are lights on the bridge half way down anyway.

There are 20s all over on my route to work, people simply don’t observe them.

When I am Queen there will be stiff penalties for speeding in residential areas – proper loss of licence and freedom penalties (plus when they are in jail they will be put on a chain gang to build cycle ways), but I shall allow my subjects to go fast (faster than now) on motorways and other suitable trunk roads.

There will be no danger to cyclists, horsists, and footists because there will be proper alternative, convenient, pleasant, viable routes for them which are separated physically from the motorised traffic. On routes where it is not possible to separate squishy road users from hard ones, the hard ones will just jolly well have to slow down OR ELSE see above.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

I like 20’s. Need to be better signs though. Also some drivers just sit behind too close to you, ignoring the limit.

butcher

The problem as I see it, is that there is peer pressure on the roads, and people are reluctant to slow down for the fear of holding others up. And because it’s so uncommon, that automatically makes you an outsider if you were to slow down even if there’s no one else there. There is always this fear of acting outside social norms.

That type of behaviour will only be changed by direct intervention, for example by campaigning or enforcing the limits. I probably wouldn’t be as aware as what I am if I wasn’t so familiar with being a vulnerable road user. It makes you think differently when you can physically feel the traffic passing you.

mikertroid
    Free Member

K o 9.

You have my vote for your place in royalty!

tomaso
    Free Member

It shouldn’t require physical measures of humps chicanes etc as there is an intelligent being piloting the vehicle :mrgreen:
    Itds funny when riding a motorcycle fast on an A road and the 40 mph dodderers that hold you up on an A road carry on at 40 through a village…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always abide by speed limits, I think the 20mph limit is the only reasonable limit that should be both enforced and expanded into current 30mph limits.
    If the police can’t be bothered with enforcement, then they need sacking and replacing with a police force that should enforce the law.

sbob
    Free Member

I can’t see a logical or moral reason why cars should not be ltd to 70mph, and then try and enforce an f1 pit style remote speed limiter arrangement in lower speed areas.

Physically limit the speed of cars and drivers will then drive at that limit, whether appropriate or not. You can already see this behaviour in HGVs.
    If you start to remove people’s need to be responsible then they will gladly oblige by being less responsible.
    I know regulating speed is easy, but I would rather we concentrated on aspects of bad driving that are responsible for far more accidents than the 4% caused by excess speed.

There is a 20mph limit by a school near me that I generally obey, although It’s possible I might be travelling a little faster at 3am on the way home from work.
    Im my ideal world there would be no speed limits, so zero enforcement*. Couple that with no speedometer in cars and people would be forced to think a little harder about what speed is appropriate.

*Drivers could still be prosecuted for driving too fast, if they travelled at a speed that would not enable them to stop in the distance they could see was, and could reasonably expect to remain, clear, for example.

rickt
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

Complete tosh….why 70mph? It’s perfectly safe doing 120-130mph down the E* roads in Germany or even 130 kph in France even.

Problem in the uk is people don’t respect lower speed limits and can’t drve at speed

mrmo
    Free Member

why 70mph? It’s perfectly safe doing 120-130mph down the E* roads in Germany or even 130 kph in France even.

Law says 70mph in UK, end of really, If you are a driving god and think you are safe at 80-90 then you are actually an idiot and are breaking the law. Mind you if your driving in thick fog and doing 70 you are still an idiot, so speed is only half the story.

What i would also mention is speed differentials, when i first started driving and using motorways it took a little time to get used to overtaking, i was doing 70 seeing what seemed a safe gap to move into to overtake only to realise the car that was in the faster lane was doing a ton and far closer than first appeared.

GrahamS

I know regulating speed is easy, but I would rather we concentrated on aspects of bad driving that are responsible for far more accidents than the 4% caused by excess speed.

True that for 2011 “exceeding the speed limit” was cited as a contributory factor in just 5% of accidents, but it was responsible for 14% of fatalities.

Complete tosh….why 70mph? It’s perfectly safe doing 120-130mph down the E* roads in Germany or even 130 kph in France even.

Because the major UK roads were specced and built for a 70mph?
    Presumably that affects things like the length of slip roads, width of lanes, radius of corners, crash barriers, sight lines, road surface, etc?

I know a few places where you have to floor it in a small engine car to get up to traffic speed from the slip road.

Also, how do our accidents rates compare to Germany and France?

rickt
    Free Member

Speed limits need to be respected and you should always drive to the conditions.

The 70mph speed limit was set in the UK in 1965 and that still the limit.

My point is that a lot of UK drivers do not compare to the better standards on the EU.

Our motorways, slip roads in the UK are as good as those on the EU, (our slip roads tend to have a lot of run off) the problem is we are an island all fighting for the same piece of tarmac.

If you want to drive fast, do track days or go to the North Loop.

grum
    Free Member

My point is that a lot of UK drivers do not compare to the better standards on the EU.

Maybe but IME driving standards in Spain and Italy are far, far worse.

By the way there’s a slip road (going north from Lancaster) near me that’s horrifically short. If people don’t get out of the slow lane you sometimes have to start from standing, going up a hill, and when the slip road runs out there’s a bridge so no hard shoulder.

GrahamS

But our roads are some of the “safest” in the world:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

(For a specific definition of safety)

aP
    Free Member

The only reason more pedestrians aren’t K/I is that no one walks any more because the constant use and abuse of motor cars makes so many places untenable.
    Historically motoring is probably the cheapest it’s ever been.

cookeaa

I always thought 20s were legally enforceable and exceeding the signed limit in a 20 carried the same weight as a. 30, 40, 50, etc…

So yeah I obey 20s, many don’t…

So far as I understand the intention of our limits in the UK, they are supposed to be proportionate to the risk along that specific stretch of road, Hence many 20s are near schools, parks or other locations where you are likely to find children (perhaps lacking in traffic awareness).

Blanket 20s for all residential areas? Dunno, obviously there are kids about perhaps not in the same numbers but volume of children shouldn’t be the only point to consider. I don’t think current 20s are well enough enforced and putting in “traffic calming features” often seems to have the opposite effect, drivers seeing them as a new chicane to spice up their drive home.

Making a road 20 without any visible enforcement regime seems to mean that over time drivers end up treating it as a 30, which might be the real (unstated) goal, using the majority’s habit of exceeding the signed limit by a certain percentage o get them to do more or less what you want.

The other benefit might be nothing to do with safety but actually about public spending, our local residential roads are a wreak, potholes galore and that is certainly due to speed, a vehicle braking hard from 30 – 0 chucks a lot more energy into the road that one slowing from 20, plus the increased reaction window means drivers will be doing less panic braking and might read the road ahead a little bit better. Road repairs fall to local authorities, so expect them to be all in favour of anything that limits the now annual post winter patch up costs.

mrmo
    Free Member

The 70mph speed limit was set in the UK in 1965 and that still the limit.

cars might be “better” but the drivers are still the same people, in fact there are plenty of drivers who were driving in 1965 and have never been retested since despite there being huge changes!

Serious question, there are less deaths on the roads now, but miles driven, does anyone know if the number of accidents is better or worse? What i am trying to get at, is it simply cars are safer or that less cars hit each other?

rickt
    Free Member

grum – Member
    If people don’t get out of the slow lane you sometimes have to start from standing, going up a hill, and when the slip road runs out there’s a bridge so no hard shoulder.

No such thing as a slow lane.

This is a prime example that people who are traveling along the carriage way are not reading the road. I guess you mean M6 J14, yes its a short slip road, into 3 lanes of traffic…. so i’m not sure what your point is ?

Restricted speed limits are also set in Germany by the way…

irc

Serious question, there are less deaths on the roads now, but miles driven, does anyone know if the number of accidents is better or worse? What i am trying to get at, is it simply cars are safer or that less cars hit each other?

Given that pedestrian injuries and fatalities have fallen at around the same rate over the years as those of motor vehicle occupants I’d say it is at least partly, maybe mostly, less accidents.

This will be, as always, due to various factors. Less drink driving. Transfer of traffic from mixed use roads to motorways. Roads engineering, for example reducing the number of junctions on main urban routes by closing off some side streets.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Given that pedestrian injuries and fatalities have fallen at around the same rate over the years as those of motor vehicle occupants I’d say it is at least partly, maybe mostly, less accidents.

Two ways to reduce the number of accidents – take away the cars or take away the people. We’ve done the latter – Much less walking and cycling. Children no longer allowed to play outside in the street.

Cars are much safer – seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, ABS brakes. But they’re not significantly safer when they hit a human (a little tinkering around the edges but offset by more, and bigger cars, being driven faster). 4x4s are a nightmare for ped’s – much more likely to kill as they hit you higher up so the impact is greater (you’re less likely to go up and over the bonnet – more likely to ‘bounce’ off which means more force).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘20 MPH road speed limit on the roads in built up areas’ is closed to new replies.