Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 20” Bike Recommendations
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Am getting one for my birthday! Woo!

No, it’s for my 7 going on 8 year old. Have been looking at the usual brands. Seems £300-350 is the price point. I’m so out of bike buying skillz though. I’ve sort of settled on one of the Cube Acid range – just need to choose a colour. I also liked the Trek Wahoo but I’m struggling to find any in stock.

I notice some of them have disk brakes – but I’m thinking rim v-brakes will still be ok – it really won’t be going onto anything seriously off road.

Do kids that age prefer twist shift or thumb shifters? Which is less likely to go wrong? Won’t be going for anything other than 8 speed.

Thanks in advance…

schmiken

I have started my own Project Christmas.

Started with a Carrera Luna 20 and will be replacing forks, bars, wheels, tyres, seatpost and pedals. Hoping for sub 8kgs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHVKNZkHadn/?igshid=

eemy
    Free Member

I have a 2019 Orbea MX20 that I am just about to list on ebay tonight. In green, same as this https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-MX-20-Park-20w-2019-Kids-Bike_127368.htm

MrPottatoHead

Definitely a 20″? I would consider my 7yr old short (amongst the very shortest in his class) and rides a 20″ Wahoo. He’s got a bit of growth in it yet but will probably not get much beyond his 8th birthday and def not his 9th. Most of his class are tall enough for 24″.

I can say the Wahoo has been excellent so far and more than good enough for the stuff we do; he doesn’t seem to suffer from lack of suspension or more powerful brakes and has got on well with shifters. We aren’t doing anything too tech; Ridgeway riding and infamous woods the most strenuous. No help if you can’t get one though.

loum
    Free Member

I’d say don’t spend too much.
    We got our girl a 20 inch bike two years ago, kind of thinking she’s just had her growth spurt. She’s eight in January and will need the next size up at least. Six year old already claimed her bike and it does fit him better.
    And Twist grip has been fine.
    And trigger shifters on my 26″ are fine for her too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, definitely a 20”. He is a shortarse (acorns trees etc.) and we have a 2nd hand Cube 24” ready for him to go to – but he needs something to do him for 12-18 months.

EDIT: We have tried him on a 24” and it’s just waaayyy too big. He’s struggle manfully for a while with a 16” without complaint. But it’s way too small for him. I was hoping he’s go straight to the 24” but it’s not really fair on him any more.

Rich_s

Bit out of left-field, but Cannondale Cujo 20 might be worth a look, if you can find one. Plus tyres, lovely frame, but usual cack ‘dale build bits n bobs though.

My 5 year old (120cm tall) girl is on it and I’m hoping to drag it out to her 6th birthday next year.

An Isla Beinn 20 large (or, indeed, the older Beinn 20 which is not a L or a S) is slightly bigger than it, which is where I’d put my money if he’s a bit in between.

FWIW my 128cm 7 year old is on a Saracen Mantra 2.4 (24″). It’s too big for him but he coped with a lap of Llandegla blue on it and loves it.

allanoleary
    Free Member

My daughter loved her Early Rider. I bought her the 3sp Urban belt drive but upgraded the brakes to Alivio meaning it took MTB tyres. May not have a wide enough gear range for you though

wayniac
    Free Member

Just bought a Saracen Mantra for my 5 year old. One of the lightest around at a reasonable price, 8 speed and you can have it rigid or with a spinner air fork.

Also they are in stock which does not seem to be the case with most kids bikes I looked at.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also they are in stock which does not seem to be the case with most kids bikes I looked at.

Tell me about it!!

drinfinity
    Free Member

Islabikes, Frog or Hoy will all be excellent. Most of what you can buy from an autospares shop would be as good as you can imagine.

Probably more chance of buying used rather than new. I would always recommend a used Islabike over anything else, new or used, at the same price.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you can find one, a Raleigh Performance 20 would be ideal.

If you can wait, the Boy will have grown out of this one in a few months, I reckon!

If not, Giant ARX 20 would also be worth a look. Again, if you can find one.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Waiting to order a Commencal Ramones 20 for my Daughter for Xmas. In Chrome and white…. unless ‘last years’ Orange one is discounted shortly.

Cable discs, rigid forks and plus-size tyres seems to be the way to go unless you’ve got £1000+ to spend.

I’ll probably get some Deore hydraulics for it… but I’m worried she’ll panic brake over the bars, I’m on the fence with that.

garage-dweller

I have a Frog 52 (20″ wheels) sitting in my shed looking for a new home.

I tried to list it on here a month or two back but had some classifieds functionality issues! Drop me a pm if of interest.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

5 years ago we bought a 20″ Islabike second hand for less than £100 in decent condition. Both my boys have ridden the wheels off the little thing but apart from a rear mech and a better shifter, it stood up really, really well to some “proper” riding. Its now gone onto a mates daughter. I know there are lots of shiney options out there now with bouncy forks and disc brakes etc but that little rigid Islabike did everything so well.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pinnacle Ash 20″ in Woking…. no reasonable offer refused.

mazdarati

Waiting to order a Commencal Ramones 20 for my Daughter for Xmas. In Chrome and white…. unless ‘last years’ Orange one is discounted shortly.

Cable discs, rigid forks and plus-size tyres seems to be the way to go unless you’ve got £1000+ to spend.

I’ll probably get some Deore hydraulics for it… but I’m worried she’ll panic brake over the bars, I’m on the fence with that.

Got a 20″ Ramones for my 6-Year-old two Christmasses ago and they are a cracking little bike. She has really progressed her riding and is really confident on it. Santa is Bringing the 24″ version this year

I wouldn’t worry too much about hydraulic discs, the mechanical ones fitted are just fine. The only changes I made were to fit a shorter 127mm crank and sealed BB as the ones fitted are waaay too long and are made from pig iron. Also fitted some lightweight rotors. Between those three took nearly 2lb off the overall weight

P-Jay
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about hydraulic discs, the mechanical ones fitted are just fine. The only changes I made were to fit a shorter 127mm crank and sealed BB as the ones fitted are waaay too long and are made from pig iron. Also fitted some lightweight rotors. Between those three took nearly 2lb off the overall weight

Interesting, you couldn’t let me have the name of the crank you fitted?

mazdarati

Hey P-Jay – it was similar to this a cheapie from ALiexpress but decently light. Frog also sell their cranks separately on their website so that’s an option too

Here

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve got a frog 52 (20 inch) lined up for junior. I will fit blackjacks or rocket rons to monster truck it. Got it cheap as chips second hand, 70 quid, but am impressed by it’s off roadiness. 7sp alivio, rigid.

Also got a single speed islabike Cnoc 20. The Frog is certainly beefier, and of course heavier, than the Cnoc. The frog is also for 120cm+ rather than 110cm.

Ludicrous resale on either brand if you’re only doing 12-18 months.

ctk
    Free Member

That Raleigh is nice 8) I’d just look on Gumtree or ebay locally. Most bikes are much of a muchness. Disc brakes not necessary as not a lot of weight to stop.

I picked up a nice 20″ Trek for £20 recently for a friends kid.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Orbea MX20 here, never went over the bar with hydros. Lovely light bike, could be lighter but don’t see the need.

I’d have one in my size if it existed!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a Raleigh Performance 20 available. Well used, but 100% serviceable. Includes Suntour XCR Jr fork and disc wheel, plus original fork and wheel, and a brand new unused rear wheel.

£150. And can post at cost. Based Central Scotland. Pm me if interested.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘20” Bike Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.