Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • £20 Bargain Shed find. What year is this old steel Trek hardtail???
  • coastkid
    Free Member

My girlfriend bought this from a farmer for £20!,

TREK 830; brought back to life! 002 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 003 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 004 by coastkid71, on Flickr

It has hardly been used and seems to be all original spec with little use except through farm crap and straw!. Only needed a rear inner gear cable, cable outers lubed, rear brake shoes,and the inner tubes juiced with some Stans to prevent thorn punctures around here. Even the chain has life left in it!,

TREK 830; brought back to life! 005 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Sprayed down with Neilsons Products costic Truck Wash power washer soap it has come up ok!, and will make here an ideal hack to the pub and her horses etc…

TREK 830; brought back to life! 006 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 007 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 008 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 010 by coastkid71, on Flickr

TREK 830; brought back to life! 011 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Anyway what year do you folks think it is?, Googling around seems to say RST suspension forked 830 bikes were alloy, but this frame is steel?

Still for £20 it is a not to bad an option for cheap shops and pub transport! 🙂

Thanks in advance for any replies of year info! 🙂

geoffj

I’d say mid to late 90s – 97 perhaps.

njee20
    Free Member

Later than that, 1999 I think from the decals.

boxelder

So last century

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Do you still have any of the original Shimano drivetrain? Check the serial numbers against this chart

parkesie
    Free Member

99 i think as a friend had one i was however drunk and stonned untill 2002 so its all a bit hazzy.

matt_outandabout

I had the choice of that Trek or Specialized Rockhopper – until Rik at Mabie bike shed offered a silly deal on an Orange Clockwork.
    Those RST forks have no damping apart from friction, and used to freeze and not work so well…mainly die to how much water got sat the seals…
    That was in 1998 I am sure.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

8spd Alivio/Acera? 1in threadless steerer? I call 2000

hydrophil
    Free Member

Im going 1998 looking at the steerer as well, definitely pre-2000 though

tacopowell
    Free Member

Girlfriend? Better get a ring on her!

toppers3933
    Free Member

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Bontrager tyres would suggest late 90’s at a minimum.

mcnultycop
    hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Just looked through an unhealthy number of 1990s Trek catalogues (including unfortunate Lance Armstrong content) but can’t place the bike. A couple of things: I think the model was named “Mountain Track” or “Mt Track” in the US, and seems to have come with a different component spec and different colours. Those forks on yours may well have been an aftermarket buy. I’d suspect the stem was too.

All 1990s Trek catalogues available as PDFs on Retrobike. You know more about the bike than me – you may be able to find it in one of them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tall, ain’t she?

downgrade
    Free Member

1999 but it says here aluminum

Link

edit: beaten to it by 5 minutes/15 years

toppers3933
    Free Member

Worked for a trek dealer 96-2002 and it was defo during that period. They offered a couple of colour options quite regularly so it may be that there isn’t a pic in the brochure, just a small colour swatch. I defo think 1999. Later model years dropped the higher steel bikes (830 etc).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Looks like Trek painted up some old steel frames for the UK market and added the 1999 decals

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

But cow shit is THE hardest thing in the world to clean off once it dries on!

coastkid
    Free Member

Thanks folks, 99 it looks like then 🙂
    Cow poo does indeed take a bit cleaning!,
    Cynic Al – Aye she is! Dutch and 6ft, Long legs indeed 😆

I have owned a few bikes over the years that were UK/Euro models of bikes that differed to the US range,
    Like this John Deere Green Cannondale Killer V as described in the catologue- a rebadged Delta V which was an export model for Europe 🙂

uber v 006 by coastkid71, on Flickr

iamroughrider
    Free Member

looks mint. Guessing 98-2002 ish

drlex
    Free Member

1999 looks right to me; good bargain & nice to know that it’s got a second chace. Embarrassingly I still have a brace of 930s from the Nineties (’97 & ’98) – used by wife and daughter #1 for occasional forays.

cliffyc
    Free Member

It is a MY 1999,I used to work in a LBS and I remember the big seller that year for the shop was the Trek 7000,which came in gold metallic,saw one last year,still had the original groupset on it, nice.You got a bargain there for £20!.

cinnamon_girl

I have a very old Trek Singletrack, will need to check the model number. It’s blue, actually rides nicely except for the old-skool geometry. Had the gears taken off which was, er, interesting but now restored. Paint work is pretty good. Forks are Manitou.

I would take a pic except the V brakes aren’t sorted and it’s without pedals and saddle so would be a tad ashamed!

weare138
    Free Member

Is it worth owt?

Pics please of GF with long legs please ?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I bought this 830 in 2000 so I would suggest 1999

sutty
    Free Member

a workmate was given the same bike in black a couple of years ago & he still uses it in summer for the odd trip to work & for a twice a year trip to the Isle of Man for the TT ! Think it’s 1999 model by the way 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

Newer than my best bike ! (’96 Zaskar)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘£20 Bargain Shed find. What year is this old steel Trek hardtail???’ is closed to new replies.