Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2 x chainset converting to 1 x question
  • Rickos
    Free Member

On a triple chainset you just leave the middle chainring in place to go 1 x 10 or 11 and all is well. But on a double chainset are you compromised as neither the outer or inner position is quite right for the chainline? Or is one of those positions good enough? Which one?

creamegg
    Free Member

middle on triple. outer on double. I have both setups 1×10 and neither are giving any trouble

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

outer, has the right BCD.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends entirely on which double it is… a lot of the SRAM ones are 80/120, and XTR Race is 88 on both rings.

I used the outer of an XTR Race. Wasn’t ideal – the chainline was slightly further out than the middle ring position, but was absolutely fine in use, didn’t rub any more on a guide or anything like that.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks creamegg. So the single would fit the outer and then that doesn’t bias the chainline too far onto the smaller cogs of the cassette?

creamegg
    Free Member

not in my experience on XT and SLX cranks. May be different for other cranks though

njee20
    Free Member

As above, also fine on XTR Race.

So any Shimano will be fine, basically!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this too.

Also check the tooth count as it looks like the tabs on an SLX double will foul with 32 tooth in the outer position.

One option for chainline is to move one of the BB spacers from drive to non drive side to move the ring back to ‘middle’ for better chainline into the large end of the cassette. This will slightly offset the cranks to the left – check the arms don’t foul the frame.

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, good one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2 x chainset converting to 1 x question’ is closed to new replies.