Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2 rings on a triple chainset
  • drotos
    Free Member

Could I use 2 rings (on the middle and granny position) on a triple chainset (HT)? Does I need spacers at BB because of the chainline? Or…?

Thanks in advance!

PaulD
    Free Member

Chainline should have the (new) larger ring in the middle position exactly in line with the middle of your cassette. Work out which gears you use most and only move the rings in or out if essential. I would leave them where they are as you will at some time use granny with the largest sprocket and the closer that is to a good line, the better.

PaulD

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes – thats how you convert a triple to a double. Don’t need to change chainline or anything, maybe just put a bash where the big ring used to be if you’re in the habit of going over logs/rocks. Will also need to dial in stop screw of FD to prevent shifting off the middle, and maybe shorten chain a little.

drotos
    Free Member

So the benefit of a “real” double chainset is that I could shift anywhere, while i have handicap with a triple chainset. Am I right?

ac282

If you have the big ring in the middle position you can use the whole block in the big ring and just use the granny as a bail out option.

You will need shorter chainring bolts if you don’t fit a bash ring.

perthmtb
    Free Member

So the benefit of a “real” double chainset is that I could shift anywhere, while i have handicap with a triple chainset. Am I right?

Don’t really understand the question, maybe you could rephrase?

There’s essentailly no difference between a ‘real’ double and a converted triple. Doubles usually come with wider spacing between chainrings eg. 22/36, whereas if you just take the big ring off a standard triple you’d be left with say 22/32, but you can fix this by replacing the 32 with a 36 anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

I have a double that is simply a triple with the big ring taken off and the chainring bolts replaced with narrow ones. Works spot on.

The ‘handicap’ with a triple converted to a double is that it looks less neat. There’s no real functional difference.

gnusmas

yep, converted mine from a 22-32-44 to a double and bash 24-32. have now upgraded chainset and now running a 24-36 and a bash instead of a triple

PaulD
    Free Member

The handicaps of a triple are weight and gear duplication.

A true double will position the rings perfectly symmetrically, so it is still not good practice to cross-chain despite the manufacturers playing this down (and wanting to sell chains).

If you start with a triple, I would just remove the large ring and leave the chainline alone. If you fit a bashguard, expect it to rub if you run granny with the small 2 sprockets or the large/middle with the smallest sprocket unless you space it outboard with washers.

Adjusting the front mech to remove the outer position on the shifter is correctly described above.

Go one, try it. Worst case is you have to revert back, or it all explodes (unlikely, more a poor joke from me).

PaulD

njee20
    Free Member

There’s no real functional difference.

Some ‘proper’ doubles have narrower Q-factor, although the benefit of that is questionable and something roadies tend to worry about more!

I’ve run various combinations as you say, found 28/40 the best, but that’ll depend on you, your bike and your riding style.

perthmtb
    Free Member

A true double will position the rings perfectly symmetrically

Interestingly, the two rings on the SLX M665 double are in exacltly the same place as the middle & small rings on the SLX M660 triple, so in this case Shimano didn’t bother adjusting the chainline for the double. Don’t know what they’ve done with the new ten speed XT doubles?

tang
    Free Member

26/38 on a 9spd xt chainset and the 38 gets full spread of the 10sp block out back. I did get a double specific front mech, which looks tidy shifts smooth and was less of a faff than the triple(which does work btw)

clubber
    Free Member

Some ‘proper’ doubles have narrower Q-factor

Yeah, I know but TBH I figured that since it’s typically not a massive difference, I didn’t reckon the OP would really care or notice that 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

A true double will position the rings perfectly symmetrically, so it is still not good practice to cross-chain despite the manufacturers playing this down (and wanting to sell chains)

you should look at the chainline on XTR double.

granny is outside central – big ring is waaay off centre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2 rings on a triple chainset’ is closed to new replies.