Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 2 rides old and sezied, what would you do?
  • spev

Im not going to name names (yet) but I have a product that has seized after 2 rides, i've been told that I will need to service it regularly (which I accept) but surely 2 rides (about 3 hours each) is a bit poor? Should I take it apart as instructed or just send it back?

RealMan
    Free Member

I'm going to have a wild guess and say is it rockshox sids?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Return as "unfit for purpose"

But without a bit more detail its hard to say. Service it regularly? What is regularly? If its a sealed bearing then no amount of servicing will help.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

i'm guessing it's "the day"?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

ks i900 by any chance?

Smee
    Free Member

What TJ said.

nuke

Fine you can't name names but what component is it?

RealMan
    Free Member

i'm guessing it's "the day"?

😀

spev

if i say what it is, then you'll know who it is 🙂

its not sids though.

The problem is I'm not keen to take it apart and service it so soon after getting it (2 weeks 2 rides)
    Whilst accepting I'll need to service it im not happy that its locked solid after the second ride (it worked fine on the first one)

ah well i'll get back in touch with them and see

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I think this depends on the component! Are we talking something with bearings like bottom bracket, hubs etc, or is it fork/shock or sommat!?

It sounds like it's not fit for purpose, but it's hard to comment without knowing more!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Keep us informed please

My guess is that it would fail the "fitness for purpose" test – if its seized it is ruined I would have thought. I can think of no MTB component that could be reused after seizing without replacing bearings.

spev

Similar to a fork/shock, I think the seals (Whilst I accept they are cheap) suck more water in than they stopped.

BlingBling
    Free Member

It's not practical or realistic for that matter to have to service a BB every 2 rides ffs.

Send it back.

*I guessed it was a BB :mrgreen:

nuke

if i say what it is, then you'll know who it is

Thats what I was hoping 😈

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spev – you are right – now we know what it is 🙂

Is the retailer seriously suggesting it needs to be serviced every ride? As it seized on the second ride this would seem to be the case.

hugorune

So – its definately not a K900 seatpost from Superstar then 😉

Send it back.

spev

cheers all , i'll get it back and let you know the result

kimbers

i think brant would like to know of you experiences and if you do bin it i reckon hed like to take it apart too

robdob
    Free Member

Well I think we need to know what it is before any accurate advice is given. But if I bought anything and it only lasted 2 rides it would be mere minutes until I inserted the failed component into the makers natural biological output chute.

I'm guessing one of those Hydraulic height adjustable seatpost thingies.

cynic-al
    Free Member

threaten to burn the manufacturer's facility down.

sc-xc

Did you fit it with a rock?

spev

cheeky git Barry 😀

we fitted it on the workshop at the cycle shop where I work with the intention of testing "it" before maybe stocking them (wont be now)

spev

right i've decided to persevere and clean out the post. Its working fine now, the problem was water had run down the stanchion causing it to fill up and lock. Although I'd expect it to last a bit longer between services perhaps riding in Afan during the wettest sunday for while with no rear mudguard or protection on the post was a bit daft.
    Either way I'm going to give it another go as it was very useful the week before.
    I've already apologised to the company in question as I figure my stupidity does'nt give me carte blanche to openly criticise on a forum without giving them a chance to help me first.

Right im off for a cuppa and self flagellation in penance 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A mtb part for should be able to cope with water. If its seals were any good it wouldn't have happened.

spev

Yeah I thought that but I would use a shock in those condtions without a cover of some kind so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
    If it seizes again then thats a different story

as for stocking it at the shop, i'd like to but I guess most of our customers (who dont even clean their bikes before they bring them in for a service) would destroy it by looking at it. We had one guy killed a front mech in 1 hour after leaving the shop (and he killed it , it was'nt a manufacturing fault)

Kramer
    Free Member

How do you kill a front mech in an hour? Short of hitting it directly with a rock, I can't see how it could be anything but a manufacturing defect.

FWIW, this post would seem to be totally unfit for purpose. It doesn't matter what the explanation is it should be able to survive a wet ride, or twenty. Sure without maintenance things wear out faster, but there are reasonable limits.

kimbers

if its a joplin my mate had exactly the same experience as you, he took it back and swapped it for a rigid carbon post

spev

Well it appears he rode out of the shop, fiddled with the stop screws (no need to but he though the chain was rubbing-but he was running big-big so the chain was at an extreme angle) then when the mech wouldnt move (stop screws too far in) took an allen key to the cable clamp over tightened it snapped the screw, fitted a bodged nut and bolt and then twisted the cage trying to get it too work. Given that he was no more than a mile or so away we have no idea why he didnt come back straight away. He was rather sheepish when we finally coaxed the full story out of him 🙂

Kramer
    Free Member

Ah ok. Point taken. No accounting for stupidity.

CountZero

Geez, spev, you really can't legislate for that kind of utter stupidity. That really was dumb…

Smee
    Free Member

That post isn't fit for the purpose it was sold for. i.e. MTBing in the UK. If it needs a cover to keep the crap out of it then it should come with one. And yes I do use shocks and forks in pissing wet conditions with no covers on them and never have any issues.

Someone is bamming you up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A mtb part for should be able to cope with water. If its seals were any good it wouldn't have happened

TJ is spot on there…..

spooky_b329

perhaps riding in Afan during the wettest sunday for while with no rear mudguard or protection on the post was a bit daft.

I don't think so! It should be able to cope with that easily! Its not even been covered in mud!

I've already apologised to the company in question as I figure my stupidity does'nt give me carte blanche to openly criticise on a forum without giving them a chance to help me first.

You hadn't openly criticised at all…you hadn't even mentioned what component it was until that same post.

spev

Point taken, but I figured most had guessed what it was, I do agree that the post should come with a sleeve or cover but I also think most MTB components arent really designed to work in the conditions we subject them to and we all seem to think its ok to defend them from the elements by whatever method we feel is best.
    I always strip a new shimano hub and pack it full of grease even though you would expect shimano to have done it already (not always the case IME)

Anyway i'm going to give it another go, if it fails again (after I have sealed it up) then thats a different story. It's a good price for a reasonable product in comparison to the others on the market (which also have similar problems) so I feel I should give it a second chance 🙂

shoefiti
    Free Member

I had some of those hollow form PACE forks once, the first year they came out. if it was even mildly damp out they would compleatley lock out and need stripping down and an oil change, after about 4 rides were ruined by these pieces of crap i sent them back to pace, (cost me about 15 quid postage) i phoned them a few weeks later, they told me 'our mechanic has been riding them around for a few weeks and they work perfectly (complete BS as it was obvious they hadn't put them on a bike unless it was running a syncros headset, or put the crown race back on millimeter perfect from when i originally put it on' then they sent them back charging me for postage if i remember rightly. Pile of crap, never never never again. I felt bad about it but i ebayed them, with a very honest discription, taking a hit on the price, but jesus what a load of crap. I'm only saying this as superstar seem to have taken a page from (my experiences) of pace's customer service book, if they took 5 more they'd have enough to wipe thier arse.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

"A mtb part for should be able to cope with water. If its seals were any good it wouldn't have happened"

Rohloff hubs anyone?

Sounds like as with anything product testing is being done on the early adopters.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Havent those posts been available for about a year. Hardly an early adopter then.

retro83
    Free Member

sorry if i'm being thick here but why don't they just use a proper set of seals? Fark it, use two sets! It's not like it needs small bump sensitivity is it?!

nickc

I think it was Rohloff in reply to one of SFB hub failures that suggested that they could have used better seals on their hubs, but for the vast majority of users around the world this would give unacceptable amounts of drag. Thing is Spev is about right, the UK (and more specifically, riders in the UK) use MTB products in conditions that other countries just simply don't have to think about. It doesn't rain from one year to the next in So Cal. In Europe in the winter they ski or whatever.

We pretty much have to accept the fact that we have to look after stuff, and sometimes that does mean after every ride, especially in winter…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nickc – not in my experience. Nothing on my bike wont survive riding in winter.

Marzochi forks with proper seals, hope hubs and brakes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘2 rides old and sezied, what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.