Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2 Questions. MTB in Perth, WA. Shimano shifter compatible 8 speed?
  • benz
    Free Member

A good friend is working in Perth, WA for a few months and wants to get out for a bike.

Any tips on MTB there? Decent bike hire, places to go, etc.

Seems car hire is a challenge post Covid.

I’d like to fit a wide-range 8 speed cassette to a bike we have. Shimano 8 speed shifter. Anything around which would be compatible with the shifter and perhaps up to 40 or 42t cassette?

Thanks

INKLEINED

For offroad riding you would need transportation, for keeping fit and getting out, it depends on where you are living.
    My family live in Perth in Burns Beach, it is right on the coast. There is a Bike Friendly coastal path that runs from
    Burns Beach south towards the City for 30k, making a 60k round trip. It isn’t flat and it can give you a good workout.
    there is an added bonus of coffee vans and cafes for refreshments. there are also steps if you want urban challenges.
    I hope this is some help, the real hills are a couple of hours away.

pembo6
    Free Member

Do you know what suburb your friend is staying in while in Perth?
    The main ‘sanctioned’ trails are in Kalamunda (start from the Camel Farm) but there are other places around. There is decent bike hire form the trailhead from Rock and Roll mountain biking.
    rockandrollmountainbiking.com.au/

reeksy

Message Sam Hill on insta?

… or if he’s too busy designing hand grips for Nukeproof then maybe @aphex_2k could take a couple of minutes out of his travels?

thols2

I’d like to fit a wide-range 8 speed cassette to a bike we have. Shimano 8 speed shifter. Anything around which would be compatible with the shifter and perhaps up to 40 or 42t cassette?

I think you’d be better to look around for a cheap 10-speed setup if you want a 42 tooth sprocket. 8 and 9 speed deraillers are compatible, but AFAIK, Shimano 9-speed only went up to 36 tooth sprockets so I guess you’d need a Goatlink to stretch it to 42. Better to just do the whole lot and convert to 10 speed IMO.

jet26
    Free Member

As others have said – best MTB is kalamunda which is the opposite side of the city to the beach and coast. Not a bad place to live if not bothered about being by the beach and a lot cheaper than down by the coast.

Used to ride with the guys in kalamunda cycles many years ago when I lived over there. In sure they’d show him around a bit if he dropped in…

pembo6
    Free Member

Yeah, Kallamunda Cycles are near heaps of trails and also do bike hire. I think.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

SRAM and shimano didn’t go wider than 11-34 I think.

There is this though:

The picture shows 10 sprockets, but it gives the ratios and there are 8 numbers. No reviews and a month to deliver, but for £21 it’s not the biggest risk…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.