Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 2 questions about shit TV
  • iDave
    Free Member

1. Is there any evidence that the big showbiz type voices used by announcers such as in bullseye, xfactor, circuses, lottery etc actually serve any purpose other than to make you think it’s all utter tosh? is there any evidence that viewers like it?

2. the bloke who presents xfactor, came onto the stage and did some short dance move thing with 2 dancers. why? do people watch that and think it’s good?

obviously i’m middle aged and don’t understand popular culture.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Turn the TV off. 90% of tele is awful.

emma82
    Free Member

It is completely awful. You are still watching it though so they still win 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

well, yeah i don’t watch much, just wondered why they do things like the big voice and silly dances. do people really like it?

fd3chris
    Free Member

you have to remember most of these shows are aimed at young and or retarded viewers 😉

emma82
    Free Member

not really, gets on my nerves but car crash TV is car crash TV and everything on a Saturday night is awful. Just watched my favorite Queen song butchered by some weirdo with dodgy hair. I’m still watching it though.

yunki
    Free Member

I think it’s generally for people to sneer at and moan about.. unless you’re a nan.. in which case anything even remotely vibrant is enough to take your mind off your impending mortality and is therefore ‘lovely’.. or a hormonal adolescent in which case everything remotely glamorous is probably ‘dreamy’ (mildly titillating)

HTH

ton

most tv is aimed at a certain viewer.
    radio 2 is aimed at normal folk tho.

maccruiskeen

Q1 – its self referential (and sometimes its camp self parody) – announcers sound like that because thats what announcers sound like – it’ll have its roots in theatre and music hall when you literally had to shout at the audience. You could announce the next contestant in the manner of Whispering Bob Harris but people expect something a bit more like a town crier

Q2 – dunno

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGLDKBE8Ho&feature=player_embedded[/video]

instead of

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_4ZRUgZgA&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

maccruiskeen

radio 2 is aimed at normal folk tho.

the kind of normal folk who phone Jeremy Vine?

aracer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have a clue what you’re talking about. Your life would probably be a lot better if you didn’t either.

I think it’s great – no brain time required, just chill and take it for what it is. If I want culture, I’ll find culture. If I want educating, then I’ll find something to educate me. If I want to switch off on a Saturday night, watching people who are mostly actually quite talented, being paraded on a formatted entertainment show, then I’m quite happy with that.

Get over it, or just don’t watch it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Get over it, or just don’t watch it.

Indeed, or just be so haughtily above it all.

Rorschach
    Free Member

What’s a T.V?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

The females of the house watch such sh!te, I hunch over my laptop and mutter to myself. It’s the only way.

defydude
    Free Member

Rorschach:

What’s a T.V?

Television.

….hang on. Is this like one of those ink blot tests, where it’s all about the viewers interpretation?….I forget their name.

Kevevs
    Free Member

don’t underestimate the ignorance, stupidity and culpability of your audience as well as your “talent”.

Simon Cowell has said this somewhere, sometime, when he was drunk. Whoever heard him he had shot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Methinky you watch the wrong programmes.

iDave
    Free Member

It’s not about shit programs, it’s about those two aspects. what does a booming voice and bit of a dance add?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, but erm..ITV, You expect something else?

Anyway E4 now, meet the spartans, crap but I’m delving into a rather good bottle of Spanish Red.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

TV is poop.

News is depressing.

Movies are fine as well as some sports.

Get out more.

Ride?

Watch your fave programmes but don’t become a couch potato – life is too short as it is!

Smudger666

There’s a button. It makes all the bad people stop.

Use it, move on with your life.

project
    Free Member

X Factor,
    Twilight,
    and QI

all 3 absolutely waste of time tonight.

But they interupted Click on bbc news channel to say some foreign geezer had resigned, being Welsh i hoped it was Camerooon, but no it was somebody from another bankrupt country plc.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dunno.

In other news, I just sat on my roadie and I now have enough movement in my right leg to turn the cranks.

Now to the weather.

Outlook is sunny, with just a mild wind.

Sports… yes I’m going to ride my bike for the first time in a month.

You stay classy, San Diego?

Kevevs
    Free Member

shouty authorative voice gets yer ear attention.

dancing gets yer eyes a jiggling.

It’d be nothing without all the lights though. It’s the lights that make it. look at ’em! loads.

iDave
    Free Member

take it easy TSY, no hill intervals

ourmaninthenorth

Huxley had it: soma.

pete68
    Free Member

Just got in from ride. What’s ” x factor”. Sounds awful so don’t watch it. Been to pub as well, so don’t mind me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

no hill intervals

Wouldn’t even consider them 🙂

If I can manage anything over 20 miles at anything over 15 mph avg I’ll be a happy boy… a very happy boy.

markenduro
    Free Member

The simple answer is not to watch anything which pretends to be reality tv, televised karaoke, televised dancing or televised anything else which is shite.

druidh
    Free Member

“I don’t like it, so it’s shit”. STW has spoken.

God, you’re all so far up your own arses it a wonder you can reach the keyboard.

CountZero

I only have the vaguest notion of what you’re on about. I don’t like most ‘Family Entertainment’ Saturday evening TV, so I refuse to watch it. In fact, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings are spent listening to music and reading, before going out to the pub on Friday and Saturday. Anything I might be interested is time shifted via the Sky box for other evenings. I’m discriminating about what I watch, so I have no need to bitch about what crap is on the telly. I respectfully suggest you do the same, instead of whining about it.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Is your other half habitually watching this junk grounds for breaking up?

zippykona

I have never seen any of the programmes you are talking about but I can safely assume they are a load of old shirt.
    Ladies love this crap and don’t appreciate men huffing and puffing through it.
    Sounds like the perfect time to go for a ride or down the pub.
    ( New rant) My nearest pub has a telly and shows the news with the sound off. Unless its sport NO TELLY IN PUBS EVER.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to love Sat Eve TV.. Crinkly Bottom and all that, but then Pant & Donk came on and it went sideways from there on in. But I’ll admit it’s hard watching on Sat Eves… I used to like that Robin Hood thingy, and deffo Merlin, but sadly thats all there is. Never a fan of Dr Who eithers.. So now we spend that time waiting for Merlin cooking and listening to funky tunes maaaaan.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ve really come to this with an open mind, have you iDave?

When you take your kids to the panto do you refuse to join in shouting “he’s behind you!” because they obviously know it anyway?

freddyg
    Free Member

….. and Bruce Forsyth. Don’t get me started. For some reason, he is revered on the telly by his peers. I just don’t get it; its cringe-inducing.

Saturday evening telly was ruined when they stopped broadcasting The Muppet Show.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A question for those who slate X-factor, strictly come dancing, i ‘m a celebrity, etc. What kind of tv would you like more of instead?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See, all this stuff has bin carefully thought out and planned right down to the smallest detail. Soaps, gameshows, ‘reality’ shows, talent contests, the news, etc etc etc. Billions are spent on researching the best way to gain audiences, get bigger viewing figures, have a bigger slice of the pie. Entire careers hinge on the success of some crappy mind-numbing dross. All sorts of people, from psychologists to psy, psi, Simon Cowell are employed in a massive industry to churn out what the public ‘wants’.

People with ‘useless’ Media Studies degrees sit behind the scenes, plotting the next attention grabbing show. All sorts of ‘control groups’ and test audiences are used, to determine which techniques work best. People are hooked up to machines which test responses, heart-rates, sweatiness, brain activity. It’s a proper science.

Ultimately it’s about satisfying a sense of ‘need’ in the individual; giving them something they can trust, believe in, feel they are part of, somehow. How many condversations at work etc are about telly shows?

TV’s a huge part of our lives, like it or not. If you watch it, you are involved in the whole spectacle.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKut-ATXUfA&feature=related[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

STW- Ultimately it’s about satisfying a sense of ‘need’ in the individual; giving them something they can trust, believe in, feel they are part of, somehow.

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘2 questions about shit TV’ is closed to new replies.