Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2 frames -> 1 Bike
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about a full sus trail bike for a while now and can’t justify* (*convince the wife) the outlay for a full bike.

So… I was thinking about using the parts on my singlespeed to build up a full sus however I wouldn’t want to get rid of my singlespeed fully.

If I had the same headset and BB in the full sus frame I could swap over easily the forks + stem + handlebars + brakes + uppy downy post + cranks + pedals. I would run 1×9 or 1×10 so the chainring would be fine.

If I had a rear mech, chain and shifter that stayed on the full sus then I wouldn’t need to re-adjust that and just whip off the singlespeed kit and whack on a cassette on the rear wheel.

Now in my head that all sounds easy and could be done in an hour or so but sometimes in real life it is a real pain or doesn’t really work.

Has anyone done this? If so how often do you swap between the 2 frames and does it become a pain when you want to ride the one that isn’t setup?

Fishbone
    Free Member

You seen something? Do it! You’ll end up swapping a few times, and then find that it’s more faff than it’s worth. You could buy cheap/bargain parts when then come up for sale?

Olly
    Free Member

ive tried it, its not worth it.
    you end up buying “just another wheel”
    or “just another seatpost and saddle as the seat tube is a different size”

and before you know it youve got another bike.
    MTFU, have two bikes.

tang
    Free Member

do it. you will eventually end up with 2 bikes which is a good thing, this just softens the blow or the old classic; ‘new bike by stealth’ trick. until the true 2 bike reality happens you will find yourself feverishly scouring the classifieds and ebay(even though you will never win anything), praying for another flood at crc and flogging anything thats not bolted down to make it happen. then you will want a 29er….and so it starts again.
    we are destined to be stuck in the wheel of build. good luck and see you on the classifieds.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve tried it and it doesnt work, takes too much time swapping & adjusting stuff when you could be riding. I ended up buying all kit second hand to build up the 2nd bike except the wheels, so I’ve got two bikes now but use 1 set of wheels, you’ll need same size brake adapters etc on each and a decent non-stretched chain.

wallop

I don’t understand why you boys have trouble convincing your WAGs that you need new bike stuff. Surely you just agree that whatever you spend on a bike, she can have to spend on clothes/cars/makeup/gigolos?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, just do it!

Complications are usually the gears and shifters, you usually need to re-set the gears, but you won’t have that problem with a SS.

What you really want though, is shifters that you can removed from the bars without taking the brakes and grips off. I’m not sure who makes those (?) but if you can figure that out, you would just need to drop the shifters and unbolt the brake calipers, cut the cable ties holding the hoses on. That would then let you move the stem and bars etc as one. You might need some stem spacers for one of your bikes.

You’ll need a bag of cable ties off ebay and I would have two seat quick releases.

As everyone else has said, you’ll end up collecting spare bits and own tow bikes eventually. Your best bet to get around the missus is to only own one set of wheels. Or to get her riding your second bike.

psychle
    Free Member

Or to get her riding your second bike. Or to get her riding your second bike.

+1 on this… that’s my ploy 🙂

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Wallop, you’ve just described the perfect way to half your budget!

Another way to look at it is that no one wins in an arms race! You’ll have lots of bikes, she’ll have lots of shoes, but there’ll be no food in the cupboard!

I’ve managed to convince my missus that I do need a 5″ trail bike, a 7″ DH bike, a trail hard tail, a singlespeed and a road bike. She’s not bothered, so long as she gets first choice of bikes if I take her out and don’t fall off too often.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

It goes deeper really than convincing the wife but thats another story for another time.

I tried to get her out on the bikes, she likes cycling and as a family we do go out, just not off-road, thats more hassle than it’s worth and I like the time with my mates riding off-road, she’d rather talk about boring stuff than what Fishbone’s next **** <-Insert frame, fork, wheels, uppy downy post, frame colour, cranks etc. should be!!

Fishbone, not found anything yet, just pondering over the idea!

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I tried this for a while more so I could kid myself I hadn’t really bought a second bike, was a lot of faff in the end as neither felt quite right.

emac65
    Free Member

Sort of done this – Got 7 frames,with enough parts to build up any 4 at one time.All frames have headsets in,BB’s & a couple have cranks on & a few other bits’n pieces too.Few have the stems that I prefer to use on them taped to the top tube as well…
    It works for me & it’s nice to mix n match sometimes as well…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2 frames -> 1 Bike’ is closed to new replies.