• This topic has 40 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 2 fatbikes for all year use & a gravel bike does it for me
  • bikemad
    Free Member

Recently I decided to rebuild my fleet think what I want from a bike & buy stuff to suit me,not what the industry says we should be doing constantly buying new parts full sus etc.I prefer rigid less maintenance no dropper = no problems,your legs are the best suspension on the rear I can hang over the back,a ti seatpost flexes (shock absorbing) & weighs nothing.

I sold/broke up 3 out of 4 of my bikes my 3 year old carbon 29er,GT gravel bike,Dune spare 2nd fatbike then using some old/new parts,brought & built 2 titanium framed machines.

Gravel build Planet X Tempest absolute bargain at £600 thru axle ti frame,spec my own parts Lauf forks,650b custom built wheels by Harry Rowland. These roll so smoothly fitted with tubeless 50mm tyres & still acres of room between the stays 65-70mm px really under-sell these frame sets ! 🙂 105 11sp kit plus brakes from my old GT,the rest was all new. This is a comfy mile muncher & bikepacking machine,I’ve been off-road on mtb trails no probs.

My 2nd titanium is a lynskey Fatskey that’s one hell of a monster machine mastodon forks (anyone who says rigid on a fat are great your kidding yourself !) along with Hope cranks,carbon fat wheels 11sp etc.

Ive also built a 2nd set of Nextie 29+ fatbike wheels to fit both fatbikes,running 29×3 minions omg those things grip & make 2 bikes in one.

My 2 year old customised carbon fatboy is a keeper lauf forks,carbon wheels etc at around 26lbs it’s lighter than most mtb’s which is so funny when people pick it up looking at the bud/lou 4.8 tyres,fat carbon frame etc ha ha ha.

Both my fatbikes go anywhere & places you either can’t because you’ll knacker yourself trying,potentially trash skinny tyres on rocks,sink into soft sand,mud etc. Expensive high end fatbikes are a big bmx almost like a full sus comfy,lightweight & extremely nice to ride too,superb around bike parks,general hooning about jumps,drops etc. So ideas they only work on sand or snow is absolute rubbish ! I’ve overtaken roadies always out climb people in & around bikeparks etc,sometimes their pushing when I’m riding there’s so much grip.

scotroutes

Do you even lift?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did ye aye?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve overtaken roadies always out climb people in & around bikeparks…

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol @ Neal!

zippykona

Well…” I’ve been undressed by kings and I’ve seen some things that a woman ain’t  supposed to see”.

bigyinn
    Free Member

OP are you single? I think i’m falling……

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ah but have you been to Greece zippy? Maybe Nice?

roverpig

Be nice people. The OP likes his bikes. Nowt wrong with that. Although I’m enjoying some of the responses 🙂

It’s tricky when you go for something a bit different and it seems to work for you. It’s hard to avoid becoming a bit of an evangelist. I found the same temptation when I was playing with my fatbikes and again now I’m drinking the LLS kool-aid. It’s all just bikes though.

scotroutes

Not the Gartner curve? Please don’t make me post that ….. again!!!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Thanks Scotroutes, due to autotext i just googled garter curve, those results were not safe for work, or indeed for my innocent mind.

MrSparkle

Well, I’m convinced. I’m now getting rid of my bikes and buying exactly what he has.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Planet X Tempest I might have been interested in this frame, but planet X said 38mm Max.

Was only planning on going up to 40mm-42mm sounds like would have fitted fine.

firestarter
    Free Member

lucasshmucas

Have to admit that I love my fat bike, a Surly ICT with blutos.  I agree that it’s a lot of fun ragging it around and over jumps, etc.  Can’t say I’ve ever overtaken anyone on a climb, although that’s probably me.

firestarter
    Free Member

Tbf I’ve got a rigid 650b plus bike with spare 29er wheels and a 26fat fronted 29er with a spare 29plus wheel for it and a hybrid for road/work so similar position although I can’t pass roadies

roverpig

It’s not about the bike, but if you can overtake anybody uphill running Bud/Lou then you must be putting out some power.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve overtaken roadies always out climb people in & around bikeparks etc

😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Be nice people. The OP likes his bikes. Nowt wrong with that. Although I’m enjoying some of the responses..

The bikes sound good to me, some pictures would have been good.

….. however…..

overtaking a roadie riding a fatbike….

They were either not trying in the slightest and just coasting/cruising, or they were having a bowl of soup while riding or something. 😆

akira

Damn it, my fat bike has rigid forks. How could I have got it so wrong. Just as well I read this.

Oh I see he’s a classified only guy, now i get it. 😀

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

One of my all time favourite films.

bikemad
    Free Member

Suspension just adds to a fatbikes capability,I feel beaten up/fatigued after a few hours off-road on rigid forks.

Yes I’ve overtaken roadies in short high energy bursts,but doesn’t mean I can keep it up for long but it sure is fun though.

Climbing is no different on a fatbike than anything else,except I’ve got grip where others have to walk what’s hard to understand about that ? it’s not just me I regularly meet other fatbikers at swinley & we all overtake people.

zippykona

I’ve had a roadie moan that my tyres were too loud.

big_scot_nanny

It’s about what works for you, innit?

I’m kinda close to the OP though. I just don;t really enjoy the full sus any more (2016 Stumpy), much prefer the ice Cream Truck with Blutos. Full fat bud/Lou for winter and slop, 29+ Hugos with Chronicles for dusty days. Perfect (for me!).

I am also in no danger of overtaking anyone going up any hills on the fat bike however 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aahv done sum fings

roverpig

I’m kinda close to the OP though. I just don;t really enjoy the full sus any more (2016 Stumpy), much prefer the ice Cream Truck with Blutos. Full fat bud/Lou for winter and slop, 29+ Hugos with Chronicles for dusty days. Perfect (for me!).

Excuse the hijack, but what’s clearance like with Chronicles on the Bluto? I though the Bud was too tight for my liking and always assumed 29+ would be even worse.

Getting back on topic; it’s all bikes and they are all fun. I’ve been almost exclusively on the fatbikes for the past couple of years and agree that they are a perfectly viable option all year round.  But I recently bought a new full suss and that’s great too. I doubt the fatbike will get much of a look in this summer, but who knows what I’ll want to ride next year. I may get hooked on the full suss again, I may be back on the Dude (or eve the ICT since nobody seems to want to take it off me), or maybe something else will come along and take my fancy. It’s all good fun though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good stuff OP but I don’t believe these threads until they are confirmed with the same bikes a few years later…

bikemad
    Free Member

I’ve already owned my fatboy carbon comp for 2 years,brought after trying a hire fattie on holiday. I brought a wazoo when I got home two months use confirmed for me that fatbikes where absolute fun to ride,their capable of stuff a normal mtb cannot do like riding around my coast at low tide.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

it’s not just me I regularly meet other fatbikers at swinley & we all overtake people.

Ahh, must be true then, all hail the swinley fat gods!

Mugboo

I absolutely love my fatbike over winter (6 months this time..) but then I get my full suss back out and fall in love all over again 🙂

Where I do agree is that the fat bike has removed most of my desire to upgrade, as has my 2012 Cotic Rocket, both are good enough for my average talent…

big_scot_nanny

Bikemad, I am certain that at some point (probably in teh summer on big rocky trails) I’ll love my full sus for a bit again, its really just rather nice to have a choice 🙂

Rover – bud on 100mm clown shoes I’ve never found a problem, always have a beavergaurd thing fitted too with no issues, but it is close. I had to fit a new bud this year, and the hairy bits did rub for a while. Caused some interesting snow ejection patterns when riding in fresh soft stuff, but that was it.

Chronicles I only use in dusty weather, have not had any issues.

twonks

I used to jump a bunch of road riders when out on my ride. Sneaked up behind about 15 of them out for a Sunday club run, blast past effortlessly then pull off at the next junction, dissapear back into the woods, fall over and breath like a steam engine for 10 minutes*

Didn’t think at the time that they were probably sat up chewing the fat whilst coasting at 20mph. Oh no, I was having them…

*well, once or twice 25 years ago.

So I was about to offer the OP an olive branch but, then it went all wrong.

It’s bought not brought ffs… grrrrrrr  😀

takisawa2

I sold my FS at the start of the year because the laugh out loud, grin inducing, sheer stupidity of the the rigid fatty became the go-to choice on the odd occasion that the garage door creaked open. It works for me but its not everyones bag. I did hire a FS at Bike Park Wales recently. Thoroughly enjoyed the day, & it had me mentally speccing & building another FS, but I felt better handing over £75 & walking away than hanging £3k back up in the garage for another 3 months.

Its all bikes.

kerley
    Free Member

I overtake roadies up hills all the time.  I have not used gears for over 15 years and ridden mostly fixed gear during that time.

Is my bike faster than theirs – no

Am I fitter/faster rider than them – no

Am I a better hill climber than then over short distances – possibly but more just a case that I am putting in more effort as if I go too slow I will stop as won’t be able to turn the gear.

scaredypants

scotroutes
    Subscriber

Do you even lift?

… and separate ?

PiknMix
    Free Member

like riding around my coast at low tide.

ooooooo get you. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

their capable of stuff a normal mtb cannot do like riding around my coast at low tide.

Pretty sure ‘normal’ MTB’s can do this, but as it sounds duller than gravel, I’ll leave it to you…

zippykona

As a bike ride,  fatty beach riding is fairly dull.

As a means of exploring the beach , fatties are great.

You dont  have to ride the beach , pissing about in the dunes is huge fun.

newrobdob
    Free Member

their capable of stuff a normal mtb cannot do like riding around my coast at low tide.

I must have been imagining those times I’ve ridden along beaches on my normal MTB then. :rolls:

PrinceJohn

I went to BPW on a hardtail. I caught up with some people on full suspension bikes, for I am a riding god & you shall worship at my superior skills & inferior technology choices.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘2 fatbikes for all year use & a gravel bike does it for me’ is closed to new replies.