Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2 extractor fans on one outlet?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Is it possible to run 2 extractor fans on one outlet?

I was thinking of using a Y connector and a couple of non return valves to stop it simply blowing back down the other fan when switched off.

Would that work?

ffej
    Free Member

Yes you could.. but if you’re venting WCs then possibly pumping smells into the other area wouldn’t be good – not sure how 100% effective a non return flap would be on something like this.

Why not put an inline fan on the external side of the Y.. pulling air from both? Switching would be a little more complicated, but not rocket science.

Jeff

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Whats the application? And Just extract or input/extract?

winston_dog
    Free Member

It’s to run a cooker hood and a ceiling extractor through the same roof vent.

I would like to be able to run them independently of each other.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have 2 showers/bathrooms running off one outlet out the house. The fans I bought had non return flaps in them and I used a Y piece, all in 4inch and works fine.

toby1

Sounds like the recipe for an Internet phenomenon!

winston_dog
    Free Member

😀

I had to read the title a couple more times to get that!

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for looking into an inline fan after the duct merge. I am guessing that with all the joins etc the duct length will be quite long? If so a bit of additional draw that is switched on when either are used could help and prevent any flow the wrong way. Would have to check the wiring though as it would need to be linked to the wiring in 2 special locations, both should just be the lighting circuit though (but you may have two of those).

Or am I right in thinking that the cooker hood will be a centrifugal fan as that might prevent flow back better than a crappy axial like you get in a bathroom ceiling.

flicker
    Free Member

toby1 – Member

The first thing that crossed my (depraved) mind too 🙂

T1000
    Free Member

look at whole house heat recovery units

sharkbait
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be related to 2 girls, one cup 😳

flicker
    Free Member

@sharkbait

The internet, it is a race you know……

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Any decent inline fan will suffice seperate feeds two seperate switches BUT if done in flex or wastepipe as ive seen most “ducting” done in its just wrong. Flex can compress under the fan power and wastepipe …. just no. a length of spiral with a boot and 2 cap ends as y connectors are expensive. Shortest possible flex connection or solid if your good with 45° and 90°s as for the back draft a one way plate could clog then youd need an acess panel to clean grease regular from the mechanism easily a few hundered quids worth of gear there if done correctly. Ring a company called lindab its who we use for our ducting and a/c gear.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I got my Y piece from lindab…….. wasn’t expensive, I think, but we have an account with them

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

When our neighbour cooks, our flat’s toilet smells of their food. I worry what happens next door when I’ve eaten curry..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2 extractor fans on one outlet?’ is closed to new replies.