Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2 easy questions
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

….since its getting towards home time.

Which chains are best – shimano or SRAM? (generally speaking and 10 speed)

Also should I buy a black or a silver Hope bash guard to fit to my XT cranks?

Scapegoat

Get a black BBG bashguard, and I like KMC 10 speed chains.

somouk
    Free Member

I tend to use shimano chains with shimano gear kit and the bash guard would depend on the colour of the cranks really.

ndthornton
    Free Member

silver cranks – I had black last time but I have bashed them so much there nearly silver anyway. Thats what got me thinking about silver

barkit
    Free Member

Which chains are best – shimano or SRAM?

Under the same riding condition, my friend’s shimano chain bent and rusted completely while my SRAM stayed like brand new…

greeble
    Free Member

bash- depends on the bike. and other finishing kit. personally black.
    sram chains for me

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

KMC chains every time 🙂

stimpy
    Free Member

+1 KMC

bigj205
    Free Member

KMC always found them the best myself

J

Spin
    Free Member

Anything apart from Shimano as far as chains go.

abbot
    Free Member

black bash guard, depending on crank colour.

I always like to match chain with cassette, mech brands. I think they get on better, although it’s probabaly all just in my head. Shimano over sram on a good day.

Scapegoat

If forced to choose between SRAM ans Shimano, the power link on SRAM wins hands down. I can get 9 speed PC 970 chains for around £12, so they have been my chain of choice for years. When I built the 10 speed I was recommended KMC and love it. I think the power link is reusable, but I have several spares in my toolkit.
    I have seen Shim chains part at the split pin once or twice, and all the various forums have a ” my Shimano chain broke” story or two.

If you have a silver Chainset I would suggest a silver bash. Black may well scuff up quicker.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2 easy questions’ is closed to new replies.