Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • 2-3 Day Route Advice Please MTB or Road/CX – eg West Highland Way etc ?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Actually, there may even be an Ardlui / Inversnaid direct ferry.

intresting, someone really should just put a boat on from inversnaid to ardliesh though!

kcr
    Free Member

The classic Cairngorm loop is 200km. Do-able as 3 easy days, 2 big days or one very big day. It is all rideable, not a huge amount of climbing, because you follow the glens and the rivers, mostly tracks, but some fine remote scenery. Lots of options for bivvying or places to stay en route.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Last Thursday I started the WHW with a mate. About 20 miles later my ride finished with a broken wrist falling off coming down Conic Hill 😕

100 yds further down, I came off going over one of these steps 🙁

Strangely I managed to keep riding all the way to Inversnaid by which time the pain was getting a bit unreal and I could go no further. My pace was already slow by that point so we had missed the last ferry over to the other side of Loch Lomond.

The wonderful ferry company came and picked myself and mate up and took us over to the road side, and arranged me transport to A&E, and looked after my bike over night, top blokes, I cant thank Cruise Loch Lomond enough.

I’m gutted I didnt get chance to do the ride. The scenery is Epic, and its certainly a challenge. We had the most stunning weather from Day 2 on wards as well. I will definitely be back to do it again, but probably start from Ardlui Train Station, as Day 1 isnt the highlight of the ride.

We stayed at:

Premier Inn – Milngavie. Cheap, friendly staff, can leave car in their car park. (meals not cheap)

Beinglas Farm Cabin – Does what it says on the tin. Clean showers, food bit expensive. 5 min walk to the Drovers Inn

Glencoe Mountain resort – Stunning views, nice cabin. Bad things. They have made a bit of a mess of the environment/dont try to blend in. Food is crap unless you like deep fried burgers/chicken burgers. Breakfast not served until 9am. Food stopped being served at 7:30pm. Pay for showers.

Glen Nevis YHA – Well a Youth Hostel…

We wish we had booked evening meal at the Ben Nevis Inn on the last night, nice pub, good looking food.

This is just my mate on the last bit of proper off road, coming down in to Glen Nevis…where the WHW should really finish !

I wasnt going to let not being able to ride stop me doing anything, so I went for a walk up this.. which turned out to be interesting with only one use able hand. Never ever been so hot on top of a Scottish Mountain, or in air so still this was about 7am in the morning, and no one else to be seen 😀

piemonster

Cough

Walked all of the WHW and cycled bits. Done lots of the Cairngorm tracks but never joined up like that (both are in plan for early later in 2014)

😀

Not sure I’m glad to be forewarned about that Loch Lomond section though.

scotroutes

Hey – my Lairig Ghru(some) route last week was all training!

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘2-3 Day Route Advice Please MTB or Road/CX – eg West Highland Way etc ?’ is closed to new replies.