Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×9 issues
  • scuffy
    Free Member

Newbie here, so bear with me.

Recently, as a bit of an experiment, I converted my 3×9 to 1×9. It’s on a Dialled Prince Albert and as I live in Norfolk, the chance of me needing to spin up any mountains is pretty low.

The issue I’ve got that is that the chain is slipping. It was a 3×9 XT chainset, now just running with the 32t middle ring. I have fitted a new single chainring bolts and a BB mounted top-only chain guide as well as removing some links from the chain. Every few rotations or when I push it a little harder, the chain feels like it’s slipping at the front. The cassette and chain have probably not covered more than 200/300 miles so I wouldn’t have thought it would be wear on them.

I can only put the slipping down to not having a single-specific chainring? Does that sound right? If so, can anyone recommend a 32/34t single chainring? Seen the Hope one’s are going for about £35, but Works Components seem to offer the thick/thin teeth – don’t know if this would help. Anyone with any experience of them?

If I’ve missed any crucial details, please say! Thanks.

ndthornton
    Free Member

It cant be related to your change to 1×9 unless you put it back together wrong – could be coincidence and your drive is worn – although 300 miles is nothing really.

rootes1

Every few rotations or when I push it a little harder, the chain feels like it’s slipping at the front.

does this happen in all gears or just when the chain is on the smallest cassette sprockets?

scuffy
    Free Member

ndthornton – I was thinking that it could be to do with the ‘ramps’ on the chainring as it was designed to shift up and down? I could be wrong though.

rootes – it happens worst on the smallest, but still just feels like it’s sort of skipping when I’m out of the saddle going for it in the middle range on the cassette.

rootes1

you will probably find then if you pedal the bike (in a stand etc) that the chain is riding up on some of the teeth. if so find out why, clearance due to crank spider, bent teeth etc.. did you put the middle chainring on the right way round when you switched to single chainring bolts?

plyphon
    Free Member

It could be mech indexing out or even shot bearings in your hub allowing just enough movement under load to start shifting the chain – or a combination of all of the above.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

It may be your freehub slipping. I have seen that happen a few times although usually in SS setups.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

“Every few rotations”
    Stiff link in the chain?

tinsy
    Free Member

Scruffy, its not likely to be the shifting pins the chain wont be anywhere near them, must be one of the other ideas above.

did you put the middle chainring on the right way round when you switched to single chainring bolts?

I would check this first.

mickolas
    Free Member

+1 for stiff link

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×9 issues’ is closed to new replies.