Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1×9 gear ratios, who's using what?
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Did a search to see if I could find anything on the site but nothing popped up. I know a lot of folk are already running 1×10 and 1×11 but I’m tight and have some new spares in my 9 speed spares box to use up first before going 1×10 and my rear mechs not that old!
    On the HT only mainly ever use middle ring rarely very rarely granny so opted initially for a 30t front ring with 11×34 cassette just to give my old knees some hill winching chance. I know outright flat speed and DH will be compromised as will very steep ups but then I’m often off and pushing on them.
    I’m interested in views/experience of alternatives. I run 33×17 on my SS but that’s only used for local levelish mud plugging!

carlos
    Free Member

1×9 = 32 front and a 12/36 cassette. Works for me all over the Peak, Wales, the rideable stuff in the Lakes and just done a week in the Sierra Nevada, did the CYB Enduro on it last yr too. Yeah you spin out on the odd stuff but your normally clocking 30mph anyway, which isn’t hanging about.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I used to same on mine when I was 9 speed

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers Carlos, to be honest that’s why I went for a 30!

neilwheel
    Free Member

Personally I would not want to go below a 32.

Can I suggest if your knees are a bit tired stick with a 2×9 set up, say 22-36, still gives you the options.
    You will probably have to start faffing about with a full chain guide if you go 1×9.

slackalice
    Free Member

Just changed my SS to 1×9, kept the 32 chainring and 11-34. So far, so brill 8)

I’ve worked out that SS in the drier conditions isn’t much fun, can’t go quick enough 😉

cardo

Ditto Slackalice but put a 11-26 on the back it works a treat in Summer Chilterns dust!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Mmm, maybe get a 32 chainring too, thought about a chain guide but will see how I go with the narrow wide chainring……of course if it all means some rear mech upgrades I will spend the money on a 10 speed clutch mech instead of chai guide and sell my 9 speed brand new cassette etc etc to help fund it. 😀

p7rich
    Free Member

Been running 1×9 for a few months now. It’s 32t up front and 11 or 12-32 out back. Only 32 out back felt a bit limiting at first so i bought a 30t chainring – never fitted it.

ben10
    Free Member

Im in the same boat keep thinking about 1/9 but just a bit unsure if id be limited with only 9 gears

Suggsey
    Free Member

That’s why I plumped for 30t as I don’t feel that I have the power to weight ratio or fitness of some of the posters who have stuck with 32……. My current 2×9 is 32, 22 and I run out of puff / power on really steep climbs……ben10′, buy p7rich’s 30t off him 😆

chvck
    Free Member

Still running 1×9 here – 32t with 11-34 been that way for a few years now. I ride mostly in Wales (live mid Wales) and there is the odd climb I can’t get up but fine 97% of the time for me.

carlos
    Free Member

I guess it mainly boils down to where you ride and how fit/strong a rider you are. There are a couple of guys I ride with that struggle with 2×10, another is on 1×11 but runs a 30 up front. It suits him, it’s his bike, it’s just the way it is.

I don’t feel like I’m missing out on the 10spd stuff and as 9spd is cheap as chips it’s rude not too

Ben – just be strong and don’t use the left shifter, put it in the middle ring and leave it there, see how you get on, that’s how I started with 1x.

drover
    Free Member

Running 1×9 with 32t at the front and 12-36 at the rear for almost a year, had no issues get around the North Downs…

colournoise

Running 1×9 also with a 32T front / 12-36 cassette setup. Got me up and over wherever I’ve ridden in the UK. Stuff 32/36 won’t winch me up I want to be walking up anyway.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I can see not many are running 11 small cassette ring which again is why I have gone for 30t so I should still get near enough the same top end gearing but with better 18 stone winching gear!

carlos
    Free Member

Afaik you can’t get an 11×36, it’s either 11×34 or 12×36 . I tried to swap the 12 for an 11 off an old cassette but it ran rough. Might have been me, my kit or just the way it is. I’m on SRAM stuff btw

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ah that will be why then 😆

rocketman
    Free Member

Three 1x9s here all 32T with 11-32 or 11-34

The 11-32s seemed hard work at first but have got used to them now

Northwind

I used to use 32 with 11-34. It was alright I suppose, but I always managed to tell myself the limitations were a feature, like singlespeed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1×9 gear ratios, who's using what?’ is closed to new replies.