• This topic has 83 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • 1×9, 2×9
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Not really, I’m just getting through the degree with sheer luck.. 😀

5×3=15?

Gear inches have been explained to me before, but I forgot. Could you explain?

Northwind

nickc – Member

“if I’m in my 44 and you’ve got a chain ring with a smaller number of teeth, and our cadence is the same. I’m always going to be faster…OK?”

Obviously. But not actually relevant at all, unless you’re spinning out at maximum cadence offroad. And if you’re doing that then you are either a hero of cycling, you’re riding something very dull, or your maximum cadence is very low.

nickc

But not actually relevant at all

how can it not be relevant, in every gear I’m going further than you, I’m going to get to the ice cream van before you everytime…

Realman, look at gear inches like this; imagine a bigger gear inch size is the diameter of you wheel, for it to do any work, it has to go round…hence in oder to work out how far that is, you need to multiply by pie…

85 *3.14 = 267
    104 *3.14 = 326.5

difference 59.56 inches (or approx 5 ft) ok?

RealMan
    Free Member

OH. So your maths is fine, but your reading is poor. Have another look at the chart. 😀

About 3.7 feet then. Although of course it also depends on the size of your tyre.. Tell me what tyres are you currently running?

😀

nickc

Oh yeah, Oooops, I think 85 is with a 36t… 😳

nobby nics at the minute, although, you’ll be going much quicker, as my front won’t seal and won’t stay up, bloody UST.

RealMan
    Free Member

Well that settles that then. 😀

mashiehood
    Free Member

have been running a double on my hardtail for a year (42 30 chainrings and 11-34 cassette) perfect for most conditions. Up to now ran triple on the full sus but in the process of changing to 10 speed with 40 28 rings and 11-36 cassette.

we were in italy recently and the constant shifting from middle to granny on the full sus really annoyed me hence the change.

_tom_
    Free Member

how can it not be relevant, in every gear I’m going further than you, I’m going to get to the ice cream van before you everytime…

The point is that unless the trail is really easy then you’re not likely to use such a hard gear off road.

njee20
    Free Member

Forgive if I’m mistaken (it’s very possible), but are gear inches not the distance travelled in one revolution of the crank, there is no need to multiply by anything?

Either way, you are coming across as a bit of a moron, there’s no way you’re spinning out 44/11, so your analogy is baseless, except possibly on a road, which isn’t how most people have their MTBs set up. My road bike has a 53t big ring, but I’ll wager it wouldn’t be quicker in the singletrack than my MTB!

If you are spinning out 44/11 you need to become an XC racer, because virtually no pros are running bigger than 42, and an increasing number are running single rings of 36t or so.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

36t front and rear cassette of 11-34 worked great for me on my old bike. I’m just finishing building my new MTB up with 34 front and 11-32 back. Running a jump stop and bash ring to keep chain on. OLd bike had a chain cage. Would not go back to anything else. My 29er has a triple, the 22t cog is just plain useless. I have never gone in that cog in my life on anybike (honest) In like 20 years of MTB! I also live in Yorkshire wich is hardly flat! I have just stuck a 26t 36 and 48 on my 29er and 11-28 cassette on the rear. This is mainky as its going to be running 38c tyres and been used as a cyclo cross style bike for the winter. plus its rigid and very light and will be used mainly for road riding. Wide tyres and heavyish bikes for all off road type of riding just run a single ring! I did try 36t front and 11-32 back on one bike and it was hard wor on steep long climbs. Changing to the 11-34 made a big difference though.

clubber
    Free Member

Njee – google it. You’re mistaken 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Sod it. Here it is 😉

Gear inches has no current physical significance; it corresponds to the diameter in inches of the main wheel of an old-fashioned penny-farthing bicycle with equivalent gearing. An alternative gearing measurement is metres of development, which corresponds to the distance in metres traveled by a bicycle for one rotation of the pedals. To convert from gear inches to metres of development, multiply by 0.0254? (often rounded to 0.08).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_inches?wasRedirected=true

So it’s the equivalent wheel size if you were running it on 1:1 gearing

Suggsey
    Free Member

Anyone got any good links for any jump stop devices that are actually cheap and work on a 1×9 set up. I have done it on the cheap with the outer ring repositioned into 2nd chainring position to keep central chain line and give less side to side stress on the chain when running at extremes but drop the chain 10 times on each commute, doesnt matter if I am pedalling or what gear I am in. Chain is at its shorteset lengeth for the largest ratio front and rear so am guessing its either a guide of SS specific front ring.

yunki
    Free Member

36/22 x 11-28cassette… jobs a good ‘un

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Better to get a SS specific ring and N Gear Jump Stop Suggsey

Northwind

Suggsey – Member

“Anyone got any good links for any jump stop devices that are actually cheap and work on a 1×9 set up.”

Depends what you mean by cheap, but the Superstar one works well. It’s a pretty blatant copy of the E13 one after all.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers for that just found some cheap DMR Chain Cages but for not that much less than a SS front ring and the N-gear.

Northwind

My brother has top-end chain cage made by me on his commuter, a jubilee clip wrapped round the seat-tube which holds a wee bit of bent steel (also a jubilee clip). Ugly as sin even before it went rusty but it works well.

Garry_Lager

I’ve gone back the other way – ran 2×9 (36 and 44 with a wide spaced cassette) for years but have just recently fitted a triple. Enjoying the change tbh.

I have a 1×8 on my big bike that is **** miserable on the climbs but still just about acceptable, as I can’t be arsed fiddling with a front der and getting it to work with the chain device.

nickc

Either way, you are coming across as a bit of a moron

Coming from some-one who doesn’t understand the concept of gear inches, and simple physics…. 😉

there’s no way you’re spinning out 44/11

Didn’t say I was. but I do use the outer chainring, a lot. I like going fast, and a big ring calms the back of a hardtail through the rough stuff. I like triples, versatile, no real weight penalty, all good.

clubber
    Free Member

a big ring calms the back of a hardtail through the rough stuff

Explain that one. You mean a big gear rather than the big ring, surely?

Oh and the premise of you always being faster because you have a bigger chainring is silly unless your trails are all silly fast so that the double would spin out, or as they’re more commonly known, roads 😉 otherwise, you’re saying that if I stick a 52 on my chainset I’ll always be faster than you despite the obvious issues of being overgreared.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I like going fast, and a big ring calms the back of a hardtail through the rough stuff

I’ve seen some nonsense posted on this forum, but really.

clubber
    Free Member

You wouldn’t want to mix a chainring that’s too small to calm the rear end of a hardtail with tyres that suit a naive riding style[/URL] 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Good work clubber.

Mixing two completely nonsensical statements from on here within the last week to make one large statement of garbage.

I am applauding.

njee20
    Free Member

You got my hopes up for a second, I thought Nickc was to blame for both!

I like going fast, and a big ring calms the back of a hardtail through the rough stuff

So does Steve Peat, but he’s not running a 44t chainring, you must be quicker.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My 36 / 11 top gear I can spin to 25+mph. Thats fast enough for me off road.

The difference between a 22 / 36 / bash and 22 / 32 / 44 is that you lose the top two gears only.

How often do you use 44/11 offroad?

nickc

Blimey it’s 6 teeth, no need to quite so wound up about it guys. Maybe you should ride more or drink less coffee?

njee20
    Free Member

You’re the one making ridiculous statements, it’s you vs the world, perhaps you’re wrong?

nickc

I’m not the one calling people morons eh, njee?

nickc

Tj I use my outer ring quite a lot. I’m 44:11 at least a couple of times a ride. Perhaps you guys need to try a bit harder? 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    Blimey it’s 6 teeth, no need to quite so wound up about it guys. Maybe you should ride more or drink less coffee?

I think we can take that as an admission of guilt 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Cheeky edit from ‘4 teeth’ there, struggling with basic maths?!

I’m not the one calling people morons eh, njee?

I like to think of myself as ‘identifying morons’, rather than calling people morons, the latter implies I’m wrong.

Have you told Nino Schurter, Julien Absalon, Steve Peat and the Atherton Brood that they’d win more if they used bigger chainrings yet?

donsimon
    Free Member

Have you told Nino Schurter, Julien Absalon, Steve Peat and the Atherton Brood that they’d win more if they used bigger chainrings yet?

Simple marketing?

nickc

It’s early. Pre noon on a Sunday you’re lucky my sentences are even coherent. Right it’s sunny I’m going for a ride. I may even use my big ring.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nickc – Member

Tj I use my outer ring quite a lot. I’m 44:11 at least a couple of times a ride. Perhaps you guys need to try a bit harder?

Do you race at a serious level? Or do you ride easy doubletrack only? – thats 30+ mph – unless of course you are just turning the pedals at a slow cadence. I fairly often will go over 30 mph but I sure as hell aint pedalling.

dans160
    Free Member

I run 1*9 with a 32 up front and an 11-32 cassette at the rear. I’ve been running this for a year now and only on a couple of occasions have I felt I needed something more. For my local rides it’s perfect.

Using M970 crank arms with a Blackspire downhill ring, e13 LG1 bash and guide with an X0 rear cassette and short cage mech. Works a treat especially now the crank arms have stopped creaking!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

1×10 for me next year, 33t rotor ring with 11-36 cassette, on a 29er, not sure which tho……

Dancake
    Free Member

I like my 1×9 for simplicity but thinking of trying a 36-11 cassette as I am not strong enough to push 32-34 on the steeper stuff for any length of time. (fat panter)

I rarely use top even on a 1×9 unless on the road

Depends on what you ride i guess. In my case: Very little 🙁

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Used to run 2×9 on my 456 for a couple of years – 22/36 with a 32:11 cassette. It felt no different to a triple really, other than the gap between a couple of the ratios were a little too big.

Since then I’ve got fitter and stronger and I’m running a Ti456 SS (hence the fitter and stronger bit) and I’ve just converted my 5spot to 1×9, running 34T chainring and 32:11 cassette. I lack a little bit of big ring speed for fast descents, but I’m not over bothered by that, since absolute speed isn’t really what I’m about, and it can be a bit harder up the climbs, but its no way as hard as a SS, so thats fine really.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I clocked 37mph using the big ring – but I’m sure I wasn’t using the 11T cog – and it was straight downhill doubletrack – so easy stuff – I can’t imagine using 44/11 and spinning out on anything remotely interesting offroad. 1X9 now anyways – in the twisty woodsy singletrack I like to ride – 1×6 on a single speed hub is starting to make sense 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘1×9, 2×9’ is closed to new replies.