Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1×11 XT cranks or other?
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

Before I buy a full 1xXT11 groupset including cranks, tell me why I should choose different cranks.

I see a number of bikes spec Raceface or other cranks instead of XT.

Northwind

Shimano still pretty much standard option, Raceface are getting good though, can be worth a look. Most of mine have old XTR M970 on them though- decent weight, no silly BCD, and cheap.

You see a lot of SRAM out there but mostly from OE or full groupsets, I don’t know why anyone would buy SRAM cranks from choice tbh. The arms are alright at best and the BBs are terrible.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I went with raceface aeffect as I wanted to run a 28t ring upfront.

markoell
    Free Member

The M8000 XT cranks apparently suffer from heel-rub wear quite quickly, if that would bother you. Otherwise they’re meant to be very good.

Raceface turbines use a 30mm axle so your BB choices are quite limited compared to the XTs. They do have a direct-mount chainring option though whereas the XTs only have the new Shimano-style spider, which limits your chainring options to the standard Shimano offerings. Having said that those new XT chainrings have been getting good reviews for chain retention compared to N/Ws.

tops5
    Free Member

I went Raceface Aeffect too – I have a habit of killing Shimano cranks (I know it must be user error but the Raceface splines look less likely to fail).

Also I thought the direct mount looked prettier 🙂

24mm spindle so “normal” BBs work

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think – you’ll need to check – that the new XT 1x cranks have a smaller BCD which means smaller chainrings can fit, and that some aftermarket manufacturers are now making rings to suit the new spider layout.

variflex
    Free Member

You could (as I did) buy all the 1×11 XT stuff apart from the new cranks (circa £170 online), buy a set of the older M780 cranks (triple 104 BCD) for a smidgen under £100. Then take off the triple rings, sell them fleabay or here for the cost of a superstart components (or other) single ring. Quids in 🙂

Tracey

I’ve opted for SRAM on my new build just in case I need to run a smaller ring on our Alps trips. I would have gone with full XT if they would have accepted smaller rings.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use SRAM cranks with a Hope BB.

Sram still use the terrible self extracting bolt system that Raceface do, which makes setting up a chain guide a massive, massive PITA compared to a Shimano crank with the pinch bolts.

Doing it again, i’d just have some Shimano. I like the clean look of a direct mount ring etc, but i’d forgo that for ease of crank removal.

br
    Free Member

I bought everything except the cranks, as they’ve a specific BCD. I also bought an Absolute Black oval chainring and just put it on my existing Shimano cranks.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had a disastrous time with a set of 2006 RaceFace Evolve cranks. The bottom brackets died early and the splines committed suicide after a year of use.

I swore off RaceFace for nine years, however I did relent and buy a set of their handlebars last year.

It’s good to read they’re getting their act together, but if it were my money I’d ogle the RaceFace cranks in the shop but I’d spend my cash on XT and some sticky vinyl to cover crank arms instead.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

b r – Member
    I bought everything except the cranks, as they’ve a specific BCD. I also bought an Absolute Black oval chainring and just put it on my existing Shimano cranks.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

Absolute Black do an oval chainring to fit current XT chainsets

mildbore

I went with Shimano cranks when I went 11sp because I was hoping for better chain retention than I was getting with a N/W ring. This has proved to be the case, haven’t dropped the chain once in 3 months whereas I would unship it 2-3 times per ride before. I have covered them with sticky plastic which has stopped me scuffing them up like my old cranks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1×11 XT cranks or other?’ is closed to new replies.