Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×10 what rear mech?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m cobbling together my first 1×10.

I’m assuming I’ll get a SRAM X9 Type 2.

Is there anything to consider on the cage type? Presumably I can use a short cage as there’s only one front ring?

Northwind

Are you committed to SRAM? I’m a 9-speed SRAM fan but I reckon 10-speed Shimano has them beat, mainly because Shimano ripped off the SRAM feel and cable ratio 😉 Saint shifter and XT medium mech pls.

jonnyrockymountain

I run XTR shifter with zee short cage mech (clutch) spot on for 1×10

jonnyrockymountain

ps scandlaus over on for sale is currently selling zee shifter and mech

unklehomered
    Free Member

X9, who turns their clutch on and off really? Instead Sram just have a cage lock, which you will not realise how useful it is until you have one (seriously why is that not on all mechs?). Currently running normal single chainring and no device, just bash, only very occasional drops the chain, which I hope to eliminate all together with Works ring soon.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m not committed to SRAM, my sums suggest they’re cheaper but as I keep changing my mind on parts that may not be the case any more.

So a short cage would be fine by the sounds of it.

ska-49
    Free Member

I use to ride shimano. My old bike had an XTR drivetrain but I bought a new bike that came with X9/X7 bits and x9 type 2 mech. I really rate it. Not had any issues with shifting and the drivetrain is silent despite being a long cage on a 2×10- on par silence with my road bike and no chain slap. Covered a few hundred miles and not needed to adjust it, etc. Just fit and forget at the moment. the X7 shifter feels a bit plasticy so might change that at some point. Lovely setup though. Very happy.

Northwind

5thElefant – Member

So a short cage would be fine by the sounds of it.

I don’t know if SRAM are exactly the same sizes as Shimano…

But I’ve just done a Saint shortcage with an 11-34 mech and IMO it’s too short for a big cassette… Or at least, it can be. Taking into account chaingrowth (and it’s quite a stretchy bike) it’s impossible to get the tension right at both ends of the cassette- if it’s reasonably tight in the 11T, it’s too tight in the 34T when compressed. There’s just a limit to how much chain the cage can pull.

It works out OK as the 2 lowest gears are just crawlers anyway but if I ever ride off anything bigger than a kerb in the 34T it’s going to pull the mech off… Wouldn’t be acceptable on a trailbike though as you really need all the gears to work fully.

My other bikes are all medium cage and it gives it that much more chain control. Obviously ymmv, depending on bike etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, that is cheap. I’ll have to redo my sums.

My other bikes are all medium cage and it gives it that much more chain control. Obviously ymmv, depending on bike etc.

Cool. Medium it is then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×10 what rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.