1×10 speed cage length

Home Forum Bike Forum 1×10 speed cage length

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×10 speed cage length
  • andyl

check the specs for max capacity. Calculation is simple with only one ring.

Premier Icon andycs
    Subscriber

I have 2 short cage Zee mechs, one fs and one ht, both 32 front and 36 rear. Work perfectly.

sonik

just had a check/calculation, and it looks like a medium cage is best option, with the clutch taking up any slack that may remain. i guess trying is the only way of knowing for sure due to riding styles!

sonik

hello,
    i’m running 1×10 speed with a long cage at the rear. can i get away with using a short cage derailleur or better to go for a medium? Looking at getting the xt clutch version to work with 11-36 tooth cassette and 34 tooth narrow/wide ring at the front.
    cheers chaps,

Premier Icon Nipper99
    Subscriber

Med cage xt on my 1×10.

miranmtb

Why medium when short is fine (unless you are planning on using 40/42 extender cog)?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Depends a bit on the bike- this is an extreme example, but using a shortcage Saint on my old 224, it was impossible to use a wide range cassette, IIRC the widest cassette possible was 11-28. Lots of chaingrowth in the suspension design and the short mech couldn’t take up the slack. ‘course, most people wouldn’t want to put a 32T cassette on a dh bike, and it’s an unusually chaingrowthy bike, but the potential for trouble is there on shorter travel bikes.

And yep, gives you more potential to add a range expander if you choose

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

Zee FR on both my bikes. Hardtail with a 32 and 11-36, FS with a 30 and 11-40.

Fine on both. I just like having the cage out of the way of rocks, branches, etc.

dannyh

Zee fr here on 36-11 cassette and 32 n/w. It seems close to capacity, though, so no 40t cassette extender for me. Having said this, the short cage gets whacked on stuff less, and exerts less leverage on the pivots and hanger, so it makes sense in those terms.

34t NW, 11-36 cassette, Zee mech on the hardtail works great. On the full-sus (Banshee Spitfire) I had exactly the same components and it worked well when everything was brand new. However, with chain wear and as the pivots in the mech have become stickier it’s been struggling to take up the slack in the smallest sprockets. Just swapped to a medium cage SLX and it’s sounding and looking happier. Never lost the chain with the Zee but it sounded like it was only a matter of time – lots more clattering going on than there should have been…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×10 speed cage length’ is closed to new replies.