Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 1×10 – Short or medium cage?
  • scunny
    Free Member

What would you suggest?

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Short is working great on mine with an 11-36 cassette

crapjumper
    Free Member

Medium is fine on mine with the same cassette 11-36 . 34t n/w at the front

stevied
    Free Member

Just got a Zee FR which is a super short cage @ about 50mm. Works great on my 11-34 but it will do 11-36 too.

Nipper99
    Free Member

medium cage here x 2.

dannyh
    Free Member

Zee FR here too (the wide ratio version is FR if I remember correctly). Copes fine with 11-36 with 32 up front. Shorter cage = less chance of mangling due to hitting it on things! I like nice simple concepts like this!

Northwind

Short is probably ideal but medium works fine and is more available. With shadow, the cage is pretty out of the way anyway.

Oh- Shimano’s short cage is quite limited in how much chainslack it can take up, I have a short Saint on my 224 and with an 11-34 cassette on it, it’s not capable of maintaining tension. It either hangs slack in a high gear, or the mech gets pulled past the limit in a low gear when the suspension compresses. That won’t be a problem on most bikes but if you’ve got a chaingrowthy design, it might be worth watching out for.

timmys

Oh- Shimano’s short cage is quite limited in how much chainslack it can take up, I have a short Saint on my 224 and with an 11-34 cassette on it, it’s not capable of maintaining tension.

The Zee short cage is fine (FR version) – so its a Saint thing rather than a Shimano thing.

Northwind

The cages are the same length (I wouldn’t want to swear by it but I think the Zee uses the cage from the M810 Saint)

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Go for medium so you have the option of upgrading to a 42 rear at some point if desired…

matther01
    Free Member

^^^^+1 Will be sticking with med for a Works 42T out back potentially.

tymbian
    Free Member

????? will a medium cage work fir sure on a 42t works and the suchlike? I wanted to know the answer to this and read somewhere yesterday that a long cage is required..dont mind being proven wrong though.

Northwind

The size of your chainring shouldn’t matter, with 1×10 systems- the amount of chainslack to be dealt with comes from changes of gear. So the gap between a double does make a difference but not the actual size of the rings, whether single or double.

matther01
    Free Member

The article on Pinkbike about the Oneup Components 42t states medium or long x5-x9 and XT- XTR…no SLX?

Northwind

Oh sorry, I thought it was a 42T front you were referring to not a rear! 😳

tymbian
    Free Member

So ive just recently changed the jockey-wheels on my XO rear mech to hope..would these be compatible with say a zee rear mech?

mart
    Free Member

Good points raised by Northwind regarding the Zee’s ability to take up slack. I think I’ve got it right now, but it was a bit nerve jangling shortening my chain. With a 30t front and an 11/36 cassette I let all the rear shock air out and had the mech out straight in bottom gear. When I pumped the shock back up and changed into top gear there was only just enough tension in the chain. I took one more link out based on the fact I shouldn’t be bottoming out the shock in bottom gear. I really wanted short cage for potential rock damage reduction, but if I get any issues I might have to go medium.

torquil
    Free Member

I ran the Zee with my homebrew 11-42 cassette and it seemed to work fine, I only had the 42 on for a couple of rides as it would have trashed the freehub i think but i wanted to see how the gearing was and if the zee worked. (it’s perfect on a normal 1×10 btw, no reason to run a medium imo)

tymbian
    Free Member

@ torquil.. was the Zee you ran with the 11 – 42 a short- cage and why would the 42 of ruined your freehub?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘1×10 – Short or medium cage?’ is closed to new replies.