Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1×10 setup options: top-only chain device plus bashguard?
  • lornholio
    Free Member

I’m looking into options for a 1×10 AM setup with a 32t chainring. The rear mech will be a clutch type (SLX Shadow Plus most likely), so no need for a full chain device, just the top “cage” type, but I’d also like a bashguard. So looks like the possible options are:

1: Full chain device (eg. e13 SRS+, e13 LG1+, MRP G2) with the bottom device removed (cut/filed off if necessary). The clutch rear mech negates the need for the lower part and removing it will keep things quieter and with less resistance.

2: Top-only seatpost-mount device (eg. e13 XCX, MRP 1x) plus ISCG-mount bashguard (MRP XCG is the only one I’ve seen).

3: Top-only device (XCX or 1x) plus full bash ring – not sure if these are compatible.

Any advice?

righog
    Free Member

I found bike was quieter and did not notice any resistance with a bottom Roller. No Clutch mech on my setup though.

forge197
    Free Member

Running a 1x on my 1×10 but I don’t have a bash it’s also designed I believe to be used without a bash, I can see it wouldn’t work with a bash though as it sits on top of the chainring pretty mush and is quite wide so would rub.

woody2000

Why not just use an ngear jump stop & bash? Lighter & quieter, no fuss to set up either

robsoctane
    Free Member

Hope have what you’re looking for OP. nice bashring and top guide, can buy separately and they look mint…

sambob
    Free Member

Superstar do a BB mount bash compatible guard for approx £16, I’ve ordered the non bash version. AFAIK their seattube mount guide isn’t worth the packaging it arrives in, but I’ve heard good things about the BB mount guide. Couldn’t justify £35 for an MRP or Ethirteen guide.

lornholio
    Free Member

I’m keen to avoid anything with a BB mount because I may switch back to 2×10 occassionally and it would be a lot of hassle to remove a BB mounted device compared to something ISCG or seatpost mounted.

A Jump-Stop plus bash ring or an inner + outer bash ring setup did cross my mind, but still a chance of the chain jumping out the top, isn’t there? This is my AM bike, often ridden on very rough terrain in the Alps.

Thanks Woody for the Hope info. Looks like a good solution but pricey (£45 for the ISCG or seattube version, plus bashguard or Hope’s integrated chainring/bash). I’ll surely go with this option or a modified LG1+ or G2 Mini if I find a deal on one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

chiefgrooveguru

I have an N-Gear Jump Stop (and bash) and I’ve never lost the chain whilst riding. However, now that we’re in the mud and loose foliage of autumn it’s proving a bit annoying – today we were sessioning some new DH tracks in the woods and it kept getting clogged up and then twisting out of position whilst we were pushing back up, with the chain occasionally coming off and getting stuck below it. Top and bottom guides are overkill for me, I like having a bash ring, and I don’t have ISCG tabs. I’ll have a look at that Hope one…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a Straitline Silent guide on both my bikes (both 32t, one is 1×10 the other 1×9). Excellent – pretty quiet, no drag, robust, tidy.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I run a Straitline Silent guide on both my bikes (both 32t, one is 1×10 the other 1×9). Excellent – pretty quiet, no drag, robust, tidy.

Same here! 2 bikes (1×9 and 1×10) 32t, both Silent Guides, not problems. Smashed it off plenty rocks and it doesn’t care. Unlike the MRP/Gamut devices I’ve gone through.

benz
    Free Member

Bash(BBG) and Radium inner?

takisawa2

The Hope integrated ring is nice. Very neat.

foureyes
    Free Member

using a straitline bash as i had it already, and an xt clutch mech and not dropped the chain even once since. much lighter and quiet due to mech. wouldn’t bother with any front guide unless you find you definitely need it. what bike?

ssbnreso
    Free Member

I used a e13 freechucker and sunline bash

lornholio
    Free Member

foureyes: Nukeproof Mega, riding AM in the Alps so I’d feel more confident with something holding the chain at the top. You think I’d be OK without?

andybloomer
    Free Member

I put one of these on the outside
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40144

And one of these on the inside
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17283

Never lost the chain and looks ultra neat

foureyes
    Free Member

hah im not in the Alps, suspect if it was me there i wouldnt want to take a chance i see your point.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1×10 setup options: top-only chain device plus bashguard?’ is closed to new replies.