1×10 Question

Home Forum Bike Forum 1×10 Question

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 1×10 Question
  • The hope IBR seems very expensive for a part that will wear out – when your chainring werars, your bash goes in the bin too. It’s just a bad idea – maybe if it wasn’t 2-3 times the price of a standard chainring, but as it stands, it’s not for me.

For XC, I’d go with a regular chainring (Hope ones are lovely) and an MRP 1x guide or similar, and shouldn’t add any weiught.

A clutch detailleur is a nice thing, definitely get one if it’s in budget. That’ll ensure your chain goes nowhere.

clubber

For XC just stick with what you have (eg normal chainring) but with a 1x type chain guide. You don’t need a bash ring or clutch rear mech IME.

I find that the SSC chain guide does the job well for not a lot of cash.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I really like the MRP 1X guide- the Superstar one is decent but the MRP works a little better and is easier to set up. And yep, clutch mech is very helpful.

Hope’s IBR is really clever but do you actually want a bashring?

clubber

I’ll grant you my SSC one took ages to get just right when fitting. It’s spot on now though.

Premier Icon dadster21
    Subscriber

I am looking to run my new frame as a 1×10 setup. I have an XT M770 chainset which I am looking to run a new Hope IBR 36t chainring on. Couple of questions, will a KMC x10L chain work with this chainring? Also, what is the best chainguide to get – Hope sell one that goes with the IBR which I could fit on the seat-tube. Any other suggestions? Is the rear derailleur important in terms of type? I am mostly doing XC riding so any advice would be appreciated…..

Cheers!!

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

Without starting yet another topic may I hijack slightly?

I wondering if 1×10 is any better than 1×9 as most of the cassette options I have seen give the same upper & lower ratios?

Anyone tried both & have an opinion?

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Biggest advantage with 1×10 is 36t cassette. It’s not available in 9 spd unless you get the boat anchor one, that really does weigh a lot. Plus it will trash an alloy free hub. I ran 1×9 for a few years but the 36t just gives you a teeny bit more bail out on steep climbs.

Only ever used a Superstar guide, & its a faff but works fine once done. After faffing with shims I resorted to “shaping” the bracket to suit last time.
    (“Shaping” = bending). 🙂

clubber

For me, 10 speed opened up the option of 1×10 compared to 2×9 for the reason takisawa stated.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Aye, I agree with that too. I’ve got a 1×9 11-34 bike and it’s alright, but the 36T cassette for all it’s a small difference, is a small difference just where it counts.

Conan257

You can get 9spd 11-36 cassettes… So the point is moot really

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

Oh, so not much in it for us in the flatlands of down south then 🙂

Premier Icon Taz
    Subscriber

I asked the question on the 9 sp 11 – 36. Seems it is only available in Deore. Which weighs a lot AND potentially damages your freehub

If their was an SLX or XT version I would jump at it

I guess Shimano / SRAM want us to ‘upgrade’ to 10sp 😕

svalgis

Clutch mechs are another good reason to go 1×10.

gee

Hope chainring and MRP 1X here (on 3 bikes). Brilliant setup, chain never comes off and relatively cheap to replace the transmission compared to the days of £150 XTR chainrings…

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

You can get 9spd 11-36 cassettes… So the point is moot really

Not without spending silly money or bodging 2 together you can’t.

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

OK, I should use google, but a really basic question, does 10speed cassettes fit a standard hub, or is this the reason people go 1×9?

Cheers.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

does 10speed cassettes fit a standard hub

yep

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Plus, you are aware that you need a 10spd mech also…

Obviously you need the shifter, but trying to bodge a 9spd mech to run over a 10spd cassette is a right pain. Some gears line up ok, but others skip.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

What do you reckon on chainring size for a 1*10 setup? I’ve got a 32 earmarked, also got a 36 from a 2*10 setup or could also press my tazzy wobbly 34 into action. Its on a 29er, so with a 10% wheel size difference = 10% on the gear inches, I’m thinking 32t at the front will be broadly the same as a 35-36t front on a 26er, ie; plenty tall enough for me.

gee

I run a 34t on the 29er and 36t on the 650. Feels the same.

GB

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

That settles it then – if you’re running 34 I think I’ll run 32 😉 as you’re a proper rider and I’m a fat middle manager.

clubber

These days I’m slow. I got round Cwm Carn ok on a 34 on my 29er.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

Someone sells extra large replacement sprockets, so you lose your smallest cog, fit a replacement big one. Possibly pointlessly. Anyone know what I’m on about?

edoverheels

Unless you are trying to re use existing parts there is no point in going 9spd. 10spd means lots of 36 cassettes and more importantly clutch mechs. Only need a shortcage mech and a top guide of some sort (my preference is Paul’s Chain Keeper) for silent fuss free running.

Premier Icon dadster21
    Subscriber

Has anyone had any luck in getting a 9-speed trigger to work with a 10sp cassette or is it just not worth the effort?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Not too hard to get 9 speed cassette and shifter to work with a 10-speed mech, as long as you use the right bits (SRAM shifter, Shimano mech). But 9 speed trigger with 10-speed cassette won’t go (well, it probably will with enough attention, but would be completely pointless)

Premier Icon dadster21
    Subscriber

Hmm – so have ordered a Superstar chainguide and hope 38t chainring (down south you see – would probably need to change this on hillier terrain). Now for the cassette/derailleur/trigger combo – any good offers out there for 10speeds?

edoverheels

Sram x7/x9 shortcage combo and any 36 cassette and price/weight combination you choose

ndthornton

I dont get it
    Shimano add 2 teeth to the cassette and suddenly its ok to ditch 10 or more teeth at the front?

Is this just an excuse to push up long, steep hills?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nope. 11-32 is pushing it a little, 11-34 is a bit better, 11-36 better still. TBH I could go wider, but 11-34 gives a pretty decent range and lots of people are happy riding up long, steep hills with it.

Premier Icon dadster21
    Subscriber

I am looking at the 11-36t cassette. I will need a little extra relief – just in case. And with 38t up front the ratio works for me – on paper at least. I will let you know how things go once the kit is on…….going for the XT shifter/derailleur option.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I dont get it
    Shimano add 2 teeth to the cassette and suddenly its ok to ditch 10 or more teeth at the front?

Yes No Maybe

It entirely depends on you, what you ride and how you ride. Other peoples mileage WILL vary.

One of the key factors in Cadence, the faster you can spin the lower you can get away with the front ring being, if you can’t get the high rpm going (and be happy with it) then you need a bigger front ring and will have to grind harder up the hills.

Next where you live? Is it hilly? Most trail centre riding have nice climbs which take the angles out (most means not all) and let you go “middle ring” all the way up. Mountains tend to be designed slightly differently and can get steep fast.

If you find yourself dropping to the low ring a lot 1x anything will probably not work. If you can hack the bigger ring then it’s an option.

Back in 09 I got a new (second hand bike) with 1×9 (36f,11-34r) it was a heckler and I rode it for over a year in that config, I was fitter and stronger then not much got the better of me till I moved back to the lakes. That didn’t work for me so well 25% hills were an issue.

Long and the short look at your riding and how you are doing and go from there.

Be interesting to see how the Hope ring lasts, I had an E-13 guide ring on my 1×9 setup and it never looked used years down the line and ran as smoothly as day 1 until I bent it.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

38t single still gives you a pretty manly gear, even daaan Saaaaf.

Premier Icon dadster21
    Subscriber

Here is the end result – 1×10 based on Hope 38t (yes big but doable on most bits) chainring / XT chain set / SLX 11-36t cassette / XT mid length derailleur and superstar chain guide… built into a Cove Handjob with other Hope kit to boot……

Gold and Blue with Orange by Dadster21, on Flickr

Christened today and called ‘Ginger’ by Dadster21, on Flickr

crankrider

With everybody going nuts for 30t rings and lower its good to see a manly option there…

Really though, on a 26inch bike surely 32t is low enough for 99% of stuff?

Like the colours of the guide, but they do fit funny, cheap though i suppose.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘1×10 Question’ is closed to new replies.