Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1×10 do i really need a chain guide?
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I’m currently run a 1×10 setup with a E13 chain guide.
    Do i really need it. I use a middleburn hard coat chainring which are supposed to have slightly longer teeth. With all the rain we’ve had the chain guide just gets clog with all sorts of nastyness.
    If i remove it will the chain stay on?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

is it a front mech replacement guide – XCX – or something with a roller on the bottom – lg1+ ?
    I ran a single up front for a bit with only a front mech for a guide and the chain was coming off all the time for me.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you run without a guide you are guaranteed to drop the chain unless you ride somewhere with no bumps.

If you run a top-only guide you may find that you lose the chain from the bottom if you back-pedal (for pedal position adjustment, for example) on rough ground.

Only a (properly installed) full-on rention device will guarantee that your chain stays in place all the time.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

the only things gaurenteed are death and taxes.

try it – see what happens and report back?

pigyn
    Free Member

The only things in life that are guaranteed are death, taxes, and that if you run a mtb with a single ring and nothing to hold it on, your chain will fall off.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You’ll know the answer, when you crack your testicles into your stem after trying to run it without a chain guide

robob
    Free Member

i’ve been running just such a set up with no guide for the last month or so and do you know what…

it’s been a funking nightmare, the chain is as tight as possible yet it drops at every opportunity, rolling off a kerb? chain drop and your spinning like a ****t and going nowhere at best… at worst your stranded on the middle of a dual carriage way. Rocky terrain? you’re gonna slam your nads onto the stem. Fact. Slightly bumpy feild? Your mates will dissapear into the distance as you hop on and off the bike to pop the chain back on.

two months like that you say?? yes, on the way home there are no bumpy fields, kerbs or rocks and you forget or kid yourself that it wasn’t so bad… until five minutes into the next ride… grrrrr

try it if you want. i’m switching back to SS for the winter, and next summer i’ll have a chain device.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Best thing to do is try it but if you’re chain doesn’t come off don’t report back because we’ll all think you’re either mincing or a roadie 😆

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve just got an N-Gear Jump Stop and that seems to work fine so far as you can adjust it close. A front mech doesn’t have the close tolerances of the new breed of top guides like the MRP or E-13 ones.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’m running my decade virsa as a 1×9 at the moment with a middleburn uno chainring. I am running the chain plus one link (instead of plus two links). Plenty of bouncy trails with hardly any drops , twice in the last dozen or so outings. I have a Paul Chainkeeper to go on at some point but the uncluuttered front uno chainring looks too nice at the moment.

tang
    Free Member

dropped my chain on a step up on a bash/jumpstop combi, comedy crash over the bars. id knocked the jumpstop on the trail and it wasnt doing its job, plus i changed gear just too late on the big step. that was 3 weeks ago no probs since.

southernsteel
    Free Member

I’m currently running 1×8 in the peaks and have had very few problems even after going long sets of steps. I’d give it a go without if I were you before spending any money.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1×10 do i really need a chain guide?’ is closed to new replies.