Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1×10 – do i need a chain device?
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

if i’m fitting an SLX clutchy type rear mech?

MadPierre

Yes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maybe

probably ok with a dedicated single ring tight chain and mincing.

For everything else get a nice light e-13

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried 1×8 on an XC bike many years ago (with short mech and 12-28 cassette) and it fell off at least once every ride even on smooth XC stuff.

Not sure how much help a clutch mech is yet but I’d probably pair it with one of those minimalist top guides and a light bashring.

I’ve got a full chain device (upper/lower/bash) on my Pitch as the BB is really low and I wanted to protect the chainring, but it’s overkill for chain retention.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

righto

who sells those lightweight csixx carbon top guides?

mattjg
    Free Member

I was going to ask the same question (1×9 on an old FS). Good god those e13 things are 60 quid!!! 😮

messiah
    Free Member

Perhaps not if you buy an XX1 chainset…

mattjg
    Free Member

If the bike needs all that gubbins half the advantage of going 1xX is thrown away surely?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good god those e13 things are 60 quid!!!

Cheaper available, though better isn’t

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Just a top guide really, depends where you ride. Try Superstar.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

are the superstar ones *actually* any good? been bitten by SS stuff in the past…

weeksy

Yep, I had the SS one ST mounted guide on for Llandegla recently… it doesn’t move even a fraction.. however the little grub screw needs to be tighter than you think 🙂

But now it’s fitted, it’s a fit and forget thing.

I am running a Renthal front ring, but have not fitted the SGS rear mech yet.

I’ve not dropped the chain once in 300 miles including some jumps/rocks etc.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

was that the chain keeper of the full top guide?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

cool. cheers weeksy!

Northwind

BB mount Superstar one is alright- little bit flimsy and the chain control’s not the best Fiddlier to set up too. If you can stretch to a better one like the E13 1X, I’d definitely recommend it.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

well i’ve ordered the seatpost mount one, budget doesn’t allow for new cranks/BB so old SQ taper BB/cranks for the time being.

weeksy

They’re a little bit of a faff to set up, but TBH after it’s done, they don’t exist… .they just do the job well.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I’ve bent two SuperstarOnes (Tube mounted as my cranks have a different chainline to the standard Shimano and my frame is plastic pressfit job) since modding it with plastic I haven’t had any problems.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

I take then that ou just need to get it as close to the chainring as possible without fouling the bolts or rubbing?

Anyone got any pics of theirs?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1×10 – do i need a chain device?’ is closed to new replies.